Yes, this was a successful season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 3, 2016.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This loss sucked a dick, especially since it was a loss to Rex Ryan. Not the Bills, because they don't really exist except in tales of lost Super Bowls, but it was definitely a loss to Rex. That sucks.

And yes, we had a super weak schedule. I've been stressing that to people all season.

But the Jets just broke offensive records all over the place, did it with a roughshod group of Olinemen, a glorified backup QB, a lead WR who is more concerned about his broadcasting career, a second WR who had a reality show with his country singer wife a year ago, a starting RB who has never been healthy, and zero tight ends.

They were a top defensive unit with Cro sucking dick all day, a shadow of Revis, and Tonka truck speed at linebacker. And NO speed rusher all season.

And special teams... do I even need to mention that unit?

10-6 is a good season. Yeah, weak schedule. The Jets were a weak team and performed.

And it was fun.

That's really what it's about, unless you're a contender. We weren't.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

now MURDER THE FUCKING LIKE BUTTON

3. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

So with everything poised to get worse including likely losing Wilkerson to free agency....it's a success? This is about the worst possible ending. They get a later draft pick, miss the playoffs, much more difficult schedule and somehow with Rex Ryan being on another team...he's the one that keeps them out of the playoffs...

GangGreen1960 likes this.
  4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

All of those points are valid, but in the AFC this year, anything is possible. If there was ever a year to have a legitimate chance of being the Cinderella, this was it.

MJK and NJJets20 like this.
  5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Not to mention next year the schedule is BRUTAL with the AFC North, NFC West, Indy with a healthy Luck and Denver/KC as our out of division schedule.

greaser likes this.
  6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

'The Jets were a weak team"...I just dont understand this

We were one game away from an 11-5 year. How many times in any of our lifetimes have you seen the Jets win 11 games? I've seen it once and only been alive for 2 of em.

The NFL as a whole is a weak league. An average league. 11 wins is something that how many teams have dont this year? 5? 6? OUT OF 32!

Cant be much more than that when you have 2 division winners at less than 10 wins.

Yesterday we were the best Jets team since 98..now we're weak.

Absurd.

truthbtold likes this.
  7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Right. I was thinking that too, but I'm just too disgusted to really say anything. But it was Byz, so I replied.

8. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

What did the Jets do all season except beat up on a bunch of lousy teams who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag? They also lost to a few lousy teams as well. The season wasn't a complete wash, but their overall performance on the field needs to improve if they want to consider themselves a legitimate contender.

Jets69 and MexicanJet like this.
  9. danaaprildarren

I have to agree with the OP, I am very sickened with this loss as I really came to believe in the Jets this year. However, when the season began there was not a good feeling. That all changed with the cohesion of the team and for the most part this was a very fun team to watch this season. Sure we will lose some in FA and otherwise, but I think the coaching staff will only grow, and maybe we will end up with a few more FA "steals" like we had this year. 10-6 and in the fight till the last game, combined with an exciting explosive team to watch I am content to call it a success.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  10. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

I am sorry but when you control your destiny on the last game and then lose to your former coach who you should beat? That is not a successful season. The Jets lost a handful games they should have won and missed it. Lets take the playoffs out of the discussion for a minute. If you overachieve than it is successful. If you underachieve it is unsuccessful. Based on our schedule and talent level we UNDERACHIEVED.

thirtyoddfreestyle likes this.
  11. abyzmul

Here, let me dribble a little into your all-empty cup.

Wilkerson crying on the sideline is all you need to know about losing him to FA. He's not getting anywhere near what even the Jets were offering and he turned down before the season started now. Injuries do that money contracts.

I don't think he's going anywhere. I don't he thinks that either.

Everything's poised to get worse? How? Are we going to be starting Geno next year? Are we going to keep Cro on his bloated contract? Is Pace staying? Are we locked into deals with our worst Olinemen? What the fuck are you taking about?

The rest of your list is already addressed. Yeah, it sucked you loss this game to Rex. And I think that's why you are shitting yourself.

Get over it.

alleycat9 likes this.
  12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Apparently the bar is set so low with this team that this was a successful season.

Jets69 likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

The technical label for this season is a success..

Reality though, this was a rough day to go out. Nothing, at all, to show for it.

Records don't mean dick to me, that is great for the players, but as a fan, I truly don't care.

All this season did was break our hearts in the worst fashion possible and it puts us in a very bad situation aleady heading into this offseason.

Nothing good came from this loss. It hurt us badly and it definitely didn't help shake off the SOJ label that's been plaguing this team for years now.

Disappointing times for Jets fans, no matter how we chose to spin it.

legler82, macbk and MexicanJet like this.
  14. abyzmul

You can look at every lost game and say it was winnable unless you got your ass kicked. Look at the fucking Cowboys, how many games did they lose by 7 points or less? Should they be in the hunt?

Every team in the league does it. Doesn't mean you should have won that game.

Just means it's winnable, and it's a handjob of hindsight.

15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Fuck moral victories. We didn't make the tournament when we controlled our own destiny. We have a roster full of aging vets. This is a failure.

NYGalPal and VT16 like this.
  16. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Swept out of the playoffs by Rex.

Royal Tee likes this.
  17. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I don't know if "successful" is the right word, but I agree that if you step back and look at the big picture, two good things happened.

1) we went from a circus back to a respectable, gutty team. REmember how bad it was the last couple years? We were a joke. I have to credit the new staff with this, as well as Fitz, for bringing professionalism back to the club.

2) We weren't really a playoff caliber team. There were a number of games that we easily could have lost-- Giants, Pats last week, etc. If we had shown up and gutted out a win today, how far would we really have gotten in the POs? Cincy is a tough, solid team. New England with all their weapons back. Carolina, Az, SEattle. We got to 10-6 by beating 10 NFL teams a year after being a 4-12 shitshow. I think things are looking up.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  18. abyzmul

And that's why there's so much hand rubbing tonight. Not because of what the team did this season. Because of this:

"All this season did was break our hearts in the worst fashion possible and it puts us in a very bad situation aleady heading into this offseason."

And that's why people won't see what the team did or how it should be appreciated.

Because we're fans and because it hurt us.

19. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Discrediting Marshall and Decker because of their off the field lives is laughable. The Jets had the best WR duo in the league, they were not at some disadvantage. The season was improvement but ultimately disappointment. The AFC is also wide open, and we don't get a chance. Weak thread.

legler82 likes this.
  20. abyzmul

"We"

alleycat9 likes this.