Long Term Ramifications of This Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Dec 29, 2015.

1. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

It takes plenty of other QBs more than 1 year to learn it, even if actually playing. Why is Petty such a special snowflake other than the fact that he was drafted by the NYJ?

LOL, based off of what? So much better that he isn't even ahead of Geno on the depth chart?

Lots of dumb things get said around here. There was a thread bashing Quincy Enunwa for losing the Pats game right before he took a pass from the flat 48 yards on our final drive in OT.

RexontheBeach, Jets69 and LIJetsFan like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Petty takes that big of a jump, then start the guy. However, I don't expect him to progress to the point where he's a starting QB in year 2. He should be taking baby steps coming from a school where he's running the spread with no experience running the pro-offense. He was redshirted this year, and I think the next step would be to win the back-up job and then finally the starting job. If he can make a serious jump, I will be all for it, but I just don't expect that to happen. Fitz is only 33, he's not THAT old in terms of being a pocket passer. Rich Gannon was 34 when he arrived with the Raiders. The thing about Fitz is he is excellent at the pre-snap reading, and he just got better with that last season.

Petty being a starter in year 2 is unrealistic, but him being a back-up, taking that next step is what I want to see, and I am sure the same is with the Jets coaching staff.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Long term ramifications: We will draft later and aren't in desperate need of a QB. As much as people hate it, Geno is still under contract for cheap and as long as he is ahead of Petty on the depth chart (coaches' decision), he should stay on the roster. That frees us up to draft OL, LB, and RB (assuming we don't sign Ivory and/or Powell). I see this shaping up to be a meat and potatoes draft, with much less to offer in the skill positions. That sets up pretty well for our needs.

TouchyFeely, LIJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

This draft could be a good opportunity to rebuild our LB unit and pick up a solid RB.

I think we can replace Colon and Breno if we spend our FA money on OL this year.

Unless someone falls pretty far in round one we may have to wait another year to replace Brick.

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i dont see why fitz isnt the short term answer

ive also seen nothing to believe petty is the short or long term answer

being young alone doesnt make you the future franchise. i think he is a couple years away from being a couple years away. id love to se eus bring in a more nfl ready prospect/young qb

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

True we are no longer desperate for QB, however, Fitz isn't be a long term solution. Jets will probably be drafting around 25th or so, so if a top QB (Goff, Lynch, Cook) should fall to the Jets there, similar to what happened with Williams, I say go for it. Can't forget that this a QB-centric league. The teams that win year after year all have excellent QB's and the Jets aren't there yet.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

What Mac does or doesn't do will tell us a lot moving forward about how they feel about Petty, and Geno too. Barring some crazy happenstance Fitz is the starter next year.
    I'd be pretty surprised if they went for one of those guys at that point. But point taken about doing everything they can to get that QB for the future, for after next year at the earliest

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I get and respect what you're saying, but I don't have faith that we will ever develop a franchise QB. Our franchise and fanbase just don't have the patience to do it and we are too quick to run players off. It's a pessimistic view I know, but it's born of 40+ years watching us churn through young QBs. We've had more success bringing in veteran QBs via free agency or trade, and can use the high draft picks on other positions.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I see where you're coming from, but it hasn't been that long since we properly developed Chad Pennington-- it just didn't work out due to injuries destroying his already less-than-stellar arm strength. We jumped the gun with Sanchez and Geno, partly because they just aren't franchise QB material, but partly because guys like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Big Ben, etc started just winning out of the gate, and we wanted to get us some of that! The other side of that is guys like RGIII, Kaepernick, and Sanchez, who win right out of the gate, only to fall on their asses.

I'm hopeful that the fans, the front office, and the coaching staff have figured out that bringing a guy along slowly and building him into an NFL QB is better than drafting a highly rated guy to toss out there and see if he sticks.

LIJetsFan and Jetaho like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

coples was cut a few weeks ago and mouldin has already replaced him as the starter. been that way for a few weeks. pace is clearly on his last legs. OLB is an issue. and we lack depth at LBer. The backups are rielly and martin. Niether of them can replace pace. we need to look to draft another OLB and maybe keep pace 1 more year. he is still a solid starter, just not a stud like he was years ago when we signed him.

This offseason won't be bad for us. we need to lock up wilkerson for sure, and extend out fitz for a few more years. bring back ivory and powell and sign a back-up o-lineman and the rest will be draft. I don't expect any big free agents. we could also look to trade richardson if need be

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Anytime you draft a QB, you should be thinking franchise, otherwise why waste a pick. You can't fault anyone when they pick a QB in the draft, however, as we have seen time and again, you have to have a bit of luck that they turn into a top echelon QB. Because the Jets haven't had much success, doesn't mean they should stop trying to find "the guy." That's why I didn't mind that the Jets moved up to take Sanchez, and I wouldn't be upset if they moved up to take another QB. There's too much at stake. You can't expect to win the big prize with mediocre play at QB these days.

Jetaho likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. When I said that I hope that Chan won't go anywhere for several years, the "anywhere" I was talking about was retirement. He's younger than I thought so unless he has some kind of health issues, I see no reason why he couldn't coach here for another 5-7 years.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know that Coples was cut. I knew that Richardson has been playing some OLB too, so wasn't sure if Mauldin was starting yet. OLB is definitely an issue. I think we need to draft another OLB in the 1st or 2nd round unless they can find another gem like Mauldin in a middle round. Pace could be kept for depth or to start on early downs until the rookie is ready to go, but I disagree that he is still a solid starter. He is glacially slow and gets little or no pass rush.

I agree that it won't be a bad offseason, and also that there probably won't be any big FAs, but I think that Mac and Bowles have their work cut out for them. Mo needs to be re-signed and that may not be easy. They have quite a few FAs. The RG and RT positions need to be upgraded as does depth all along the OL. TE is a position of need. Ivory's likely to want too much money for the Jets to keep him, so unless the Jets think Ridley can show a lot more next season than he has been able to this season, they may be looking to sign a FA RB and draft one. Demario Davis probably needs to be replaced (at least many of us would like for him to be replaced). Erin Henderson could handle it and keep Lattimore as a backup, but the Jets need more speed and coverage ability at ILB. They need to upgrade at P. They may need another CB if Cro isn't retained, especially if they are ready to give up on Milliner.

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Not to go all Champ on everyone during the Holiday season and a 5 game winning streak, but I have no faith where development of a franchise QB is involved, and I'm sure that recent memory has soured my view.

We have a history of bringing in veteran players because we demand splash signings and a decent team. Last offseason was a prime example. I love having a winning team, but this philosophy means we are unlikely to ever be horrendous enough to get a top 3 pick. For all the bitching we do about our sad history, we've only had the #1 pick once (1996) and a top 3 pick three times (1980, 1990, 1996). This mediocrity means that we are unlikely to land an Elway, Newton, or Peyton Manning. Sure, the Pats got lucky with Brady, but he might never see the field if Mo Lewis doesn't blow up Bledsoe!

Pennington, Ken O'Brien, Richard Todd, Namath. That's it for the homegrown success stories, and besides Namath, the other three never won anything and were roundly criticized their entire careers with us. We had similar success with the likes of Vinny, Boomer, Favre, and Fitz and could spend the high draft picks elsewhere. I think we need to embrace what we are as a franchise, and should just bring in the retreads year after year. Let someone else absorb the growing pains and misses with young QBs - We are no good at it.

Go Jets!

15. NCJetsfan

Not every QB has the football IQ that Petty has, the work ethic, the character or the track record of success that Petty has. He may not be ready, but I wouldn't bet against him.

Based on watching Geno play and based on watching Petty in preseason and reading reports on them. I've never heard of Petty running backwards 20 yards to take a sack, stepping out of the end zone to give the other team a safety, or any of the myriad other stupid things that Geno has done. Geno was ahead of Petty because he has starting experience, has already adjusted to the speed of the NFL, had a head start on learning the offense, and because they wanted to sit Petty this year.

16. NCJetsfan

I understand your pessimism. You're right that the fans don't have the patience, but some of us are impatient, immature and borderline stupid. Mac and Bowles aren't. Our franchise may have been impatient and dumb before, but they aren't now. I believe they have a strong, professional leadership team in place now. IMO the team will NEVER be a consistent winner or perennial SB contender unless or until they find and develop a true franchise QB.

#56 NCJetsfan, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    westiedog1 and LIJetsFan like this.
  17. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

You probably haven't heard of Petty doing any of that because he wasn't forced to start his first year after missing most of the preseason with an injury. We don't know if Petty has a high football IQ or is more accurate because he has yet to take a fucking snap.

18. NCJetsfan

Why should he necessarily be taking baby steps, my friend, if he's capable of more? While I don't want to rush him or pressure him, I see no point in unnecessarily babying him, either. I understand your not expecting him to be able to make that jump to starter. I'm not "expecting" him to, either, just saying that it's possible. I disagree that it's unrealistic. He played at a very high level in college. Making the switch to a pro offense is not that difficult. Mariota did it as have others. Besides, Gailey's offense incorporates some spread features and isn't a traditional NFL offense, so the adjustment is not going to be as big as you think imo.

While Fitz isn't THAT old, and has played very well this year, we know that he is limited, and I don't think we should get too carried away with sticking with him just because he gave us the best QB play this season that we've had in a long time. The Jets need to be moving as quickly as possible to find the long-term answer at QB. I'm confident that Mac knows that if he doesn't find a franchise QB fairly quickly, he might not be around for long. It's conceivable that they think Petty is the long-term answer, and while they know they might struggle a little if they start Petty, they might think it's in the team's and Petty's best interests in the long term to start Petty next season. I think Fitz will probably still be the starter, but it may not be as clear cut as you and others think.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

TE we get amaro back next season, ivory won't be worth much. RB value is low. he won't cost that much at all, davis is fine. he's a great sideline to sideline tackler, just weak in coverage. Punters are hard to find and they will bring in competition like always. CB is fine too, milliner is here for 1 more year regardless. and we still have revis , skrine, williams, mcdougle, and walls on top of that. even without cro CB isn't a worry

20. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. We get Amaro back, but imo he's nothing special. He's soft and can't block. Players almost always get overpaid in FA. Ivory has had two very good years for the Jets. He's probably going to want to get paid and I disagree that he won't be worth much. Davis is NOT fine. He blows. He can't tackle, takes bad angles and can't cover his own ass.

Finally, I disagree about CB. Bowles likes his CBs. Cro may be back, but I doubt it. Milliner can't be counted on to even get on the field, much less stay healthy. If Cro isn't back, who's gonna start opposite Revis? Williams is a natural ballhawk, but is less adept in coverage. Bowles seems to agree with that, since he hasn't started Williams over Cro at any point. Walls pretty much blows, and they could easily look to move on from him. I could be wrong, but don't think McDougle has done that much, either.