Fitzpatrick, a Bills fan's perspective

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mynmisoli, Aug 22, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol Genobot.

_

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The last few games Fitzpatrick is playing like a top 5 QB. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

MikeSLTJ23 likes this.
  3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

The Jets obviously have to bring Fitz back. They can't afford to lose him to another team. Yes, he's an average QB but he's competent and knows what he's doing. He's not a top 10 QB but he's not a bottom 10 either. The Jets haven't had competent QB play since Chad Pennington.

He'll never be the guy but he should be our QB until we find the guy. If we let him go we can spend another 5+ years trying to find somebody whose at the very least as good as him. They need to pay him.

ajax and Br4d like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's the perfect guy to provide cover while the Jets develop a long-term option at QB. That could be Petty or it could be somebody else but whoever it is won't get rushed on the field unless there's a bad injury in there somewhere.

The Jets still have to be in deep search mode for the guy but we can win a few games while we're getting there and that's so much better than having to tank a season and then hope you get Jameis Winston and not JaMarcus Russell.

Throw in the fact that the current group of players believes in Fitzpatrick and he's close to the perfect match for a team scrambling to find a QB.

ajax, TwoHeadedMonster and kevmvp like this.
  5. Jedabe

Jedabe Active Member

The only logical thing to do with Geno at this point is to take him out back and put him down like a wounded animal

FlaJet likes this.
  6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Agreed. And in the meantime you can try and get younger at certain positions and upgrade others. Then when you bring a new QB in, you're not giving him a team that's lacking talent and starting all the way from the bottom looking up. You can put the next QB in a strong position to succeed.

TwoHeadedMonster and Br4d like this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I obviously have no inside info on how Petty is progressing. There is a chance he sucks and will never see the field.

But I do love that the Jets are just letting him hold the clipboard while working with an intelligent QB who definitely has some insight to offer.

TwoHeadedMonster and Br4d like this.
  8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I read the rest of your post. That's fair, he did backpedal sometimes and make throws off his back foot, he got away with it a lot because he has a strong arm, he also showed great mechanics, the inconsistencies are part of being a young QB. I disagree with the reading defense part, idk why you said that and he was more comfortable in shotgun but he moved side to side in the pocket fine, his footwork was good there, he needed to step up into it more like you mentioned. I think Chip got rid of him because he's a greedy perfectionist with a huge ego.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

When you get out performed and benched by Case Keenam you are not a good QB.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That ship has sailed, stop bringing Geno in the conversation.

ajax and FlaJet like this.
  11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

When you're a HC desperate to not get fired you fire the OC and bench your QB .

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

You don't want to keep Fitz for $5-$6M a year after a season it looks like he may take the Jets to the playoffs? And even if they don't make it he will probably have led them to a 10-6 or 11-5 record.
    Rivers is not leaving the SD, he just signed an extension and has will most probably retire there. Brees would probably cost a 1st rd pick and $20M, would rather use that money on Wilkerson and the pick on a LT or LB.
    Let Fitz continue to groom Petty, Geno can compete in camp but truly doubt he would unseat Fitz. Something tells me you don't want Geno to have any competition though.

14. geno75

geno75 Active Member

Fitz is going to cost north of 10. Look at what McCown got.

15. geno75

geno75 Active Member

Geno isn't going anywhere. At worst he's a quality backup that is cap friendly

16. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

He wont be back next season in all likelihood. Petty has a higher upside just based on the unknown. The team will most likely take a good look at him in the preseason and if he shows something Geno will be sent packing.

A quality backup is someone that you could turn to and not have 95 percent of a fan base go into a panic.

PulseJet and FlaJet like this.
  17. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Ya Geno is long gone like your username will be when he is cut @geno75

18. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I still can't believe people were hating on Fitz so much and were calling for Geno earlier in the season. If Geno ever threw 25 TD and 11 INT's in a season (Fitz still has 3 games left) the Sun would explode into a super nova swallowing the entire galaxy. Geno has dreams of the production Fitz has been able to muster this season.

74 likes this.
  19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I don't remember who I heard the other day (I think it was Francesca) but he said that the Jets do like Petty. I don't know how tapped into the Jets Mike is these days, but I'm sure he has some contacts since he's been doing this for so long. But I believe that he said the Jets believe that Petty is going to be their guy.

If that's true then it's a good sign since the Jets have watched him practice for a while now. We'll probably know for sure next draft.

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Myself, a labeled Genobot.. thinks this is one of the craziest posts i've seen in a while lol.

No way you just throw Fitz away because he's 33.. (as if all the elite QB's aren't around that age. not saying he's elite just saying 33 isn't too bad for a QB) and go back to the questionable Geno and the way-too-raw bryce petty.

Do you not see what Fitz is doing??? 10-13 mill for a qb over 2 years is great lol. If we can bring him back for that i'm all for it. I Was honestly thinking he'd get more in the 18M guaranteed area over 2 years..