Was a big Bowles Fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Benny the Jet, Nov 12, 2015.

1. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

I disagree the jets will cut him after next year when the dead money isnt such a liabilty..he is not worth 16 mil a year... He is a shell of his former self. Which i agree with you still means he is top 5 corner but he used to be the greatest of all time. The truth is the league has adjusted to guys like him and sherman.. He makes no difference at all when we face the pats. So honestly hes not worth it at all

2. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Anybody that even mentions Revis needs to be checked, what a load of horseshit. He has never been a burner and he's not being asked to shadow receivers and play press man to man coverage in this scheme the way he did back with Rex Ryan. People that don't know what they're talking about act like he's lost a step now because he plays a different type of coverage (zone, off etc.). Is he the fastest corner in the game? No. He has never been. But he is the best corner in the game and worth every penny.

Diabolical_Jet_Fan likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

No dude hes def lost a step. He used to run with the fastest of guys. You could see it last night and all season. He cant keep up with the speed of some of the young stars now. He used to run stride for stride with anyone. He simply cant anymore and you can see it in his play that he knows it. Yeah youre correct being asked yo shadow a guy makes it easier to cover him. He can gameplan for one person only, but there is a reason he hasnt been asked to do that. That's not strictly because of the defensive game plan. Teams know it too, thats why they go after him. I said it earlier before his injury no team that played the jets would challenge him on crucial plays as often as they do now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jets69 likes this.
  4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Woodson and Bailey both moved yo safety at the end of thwir careers. I think it would be a good move for Revis. You could see him excel in that role

5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

After he way the O performed in the first half, and turned it over in the first half, I would have been concerned about whether they could get the ball enough for scores in the second. TB wanted to go for it in bigger chunks. He has no crystal ball. I cannot blame him for it. My gripe is with Gailey's play calling last night, which was timid and inferior.

6. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I'm trying to be patience but he seems a little over his head.

7. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Too lazy to read through all the posts but some of the shine is coming off for me. I think his biggest mistake was hiring Gailey in the first place (as many here felt), his second biggest mistake is not firing Gailey by now. Other than that the consistently bad tackling, poor clock management, sometimes odd decision making, etc. all add up to nothing good. I get that he's a rookie coach and he inherited a 4 win team so I don't expect them to be world beaters but they should at least be competent enough to not blow games in such stupid ways.

8. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Watkins was 3 catches for 14 yards. What the fuck? Once again Revis did his job, and shut down the opponents #1. How much more do you want from him? Watkins is a special player. No one else one on one would come out of that game with a stat line like that.

Gailey made some bad calls, Bowles should have kicked the field goals, but the game was lost on turnovers.

And the worst one was having a rookie run a kick out of the end zone. Who's call is that? horrendous.

This WC is still ours for the taking. We can win the next two and go into the Giant game at 7-4.

NYJetsO12 and Revis Now Redux like this.
  9. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

After sleeping on it I would place blame on Gailey, Fitz (and I'm a Fitz fan) and a couple of key drops by WRs before Bowles.

10. Revis Now Redux

Revis Now Redux Active Member

lmao no he did not.

Revis was never a speedster to begin with. He had good speed mixed with unparalleled footwork and discipline.

He made up for his lack of top end speed by being physical and disciplined in press coverage.

He's lost a step and a half and now he no longer can do what made him arguable the best cornerback the NFL has ever seen.

With all that said he's still the best CB in football.

11. Revis Now Redux

Revis Now Redux Active Member

Lmao exactly.

Other than that first play where Watkins burned revis and should've had an easy TD, Revis pretty much took him out of the game.

12. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

That's just not the case, I completely disagree with you here. Revis never ran stride for stride with everybody. I think your head is messing with you a little there, we always like to think that if we remember something positive it was better than it really was and we tend to forget about the negative things. Revis has always struggled with speedy guys. Anybody with 4.3 type speed that runs a go route on him and you have a QB that can throw it 50-60-70 yards, Revis will get beat. Remember Ted Ginn burning him deep? He was in his prime back then, untouchable. Who has done that to him this year? Nobody. In fact when Sammy Watkins who is FAR superior and probably even faster tried it Revis shut him down and showed that extra gear and terrific closing speed and ability to go up and get the ball. So let's stop this myth. He's not untouchable, he never was. He's not a machine. Neither is anybody else. Brady gets picked, Sherman gets beat, Norman gets beat, Kuechly misses tackles, it happens. We don't have to expect perfection from guys, it's not going to happen. Revis is an oversized corner, he's bigger than the average safety I'd say just from a size/weight/frame perspective. And he plays that way. You can't expect a guy that big to keep up with those little 160 pound guys, he doesn't have the short area quickness and explosion. I will agree with you that he at times appears to be a little out of shape. Would love for him to lose 5-10 pounds and be a little more lean, it would help his game. But for people to mention his name when they talk about our defense or our WL record and what goes wrong right now it's completely absurd. Revis has been nothing but exceptional this year, anything that at least I expected he'd be. Not sure what your expectations were when we signed him, he wasn't going to get us to the superbowl or even the postseason by himself. He's no better or worse than he was at his prime in Rex' scheme. To me at least.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Go watch his old footage. He always rand strode for stride.

14. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles said he didn't kick a field goal on 4th down because he didn't want to risk an onside kick.

What???????????????????

YOU HAD 3 TIMEOUTS AND THE 2 MINUTE WARNING YOU COULD HAVE KICKED OFF AND NEEDED ONE STOP.

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  15. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

What if they didn't get the stop?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

16. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

If you blamed that loss on Fitz, you are half retarded. Fitz played a great fucking game.

17. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

The score would have been 22-20 with the time-outs you mentioned, the stadium would have been going crazy!! Onside kick...crazy!

18. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

I like Bowles, but he needs to take a serious look at improving his time-management skills!!!

19. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Great then you cross that bridge. But nobody goes onside kick there after a field goal.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He had 3:30 left if he had kicked the field goal, that's an eternity with 3 TO and the 2 minute warning, and the defense playing well.

I felt the same way you did when I heard him say that! It also puts pressure on the Bills to keep making plays on offense, just in case they don't get a first down and they have to punt.

I'm not going to panic, but his way of thinking, is starting to worry me a bit.

#200 Red Menace, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    NYJetsO12 likes this.