It's Bryce Petty Time!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Aug 11, 2015.

1. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

We need to know this season if this kid is worth a damn and if we need to draft another qb next year

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No we don't. If we don't see him play and still feel we need a qb we need a qb. The fact that he doesn't get on the field will not factor

3. BZanZ

BZanZ Active Member

I REALLY hop that petty starts, im not of the mindset that 24 year olds that have played QB successfully their whole life will be "ruined" by not waiting years to play. in fact if bryce petty is that mentally weak that he could be broken by that then I dont want him leading my team to begin with. russell wilson came in and started day one and had some ups and downs but it worked out for him. (not that they are the same player but they had similar situations)

MiaJets305 likes this.
  4. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

My guess is he will be a complete flop. He has shown absolutely zero reason to think otherwise and the chance we have the next Tom Brady waiting on deck is infinitesimal. This team is doomed to mediocrity at best until we find a solid, pocket passer, that plays cerebral. Just sit back and hold onto your shorts kids, its going to be a long ride.

5. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Next one is tomorrow at 3:35. Probably will have signed somebody at that point.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Like every other jet qb for the last 7 years, nothing to lose then. Let's see what he's got because if it's between him and smith there is no doubt who should play as we already know what garbage we have with the other guy.

7. DaBallhawk

Is anybody near you that could just slap you enough times to straighten you out? There's nothing worse than self pity. You remind me of that depressive, miserable donkey from Winnie the Pooh.

Petty did a good job in the preseason considering...fuck that. Not considering anything, he did well. You add in the fact that he had zero experience playing in a pro style offense, under center, that makes his performance even more impressive. ZERO turnovers in 3 games. 60% completed passes, took only 4 sacks. Stop whining and have some faith.

8. greaser

More like 25 years.
    Seriously, how does a group of individuals that get paid $10,000,000's of dollars not understand the basic formula that has been laid out decades ago? The one dimensional mobile QB fad should be finally put to rest.

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I agree with this notion.

We have a pretty good line, good weapons, and a good Defense that can provide opportunities on which the Offense can capitalize.

I think red-shirting a Qb is beneficial, but it's not absolute. If the Qb is smart and a keen decision-maker, then he'll inherently have a chance to succeed.

Petty was a 4th Round pick, so the expectations for him really shouldn't be that high. I don't know how much truth one game can reveal, but I just want to watch Petty and come away saying that he's smart and knows what to do with ball. Observing Geno, you can recognize his lack of intelligence and awareness. Hopefully, we'll see the opposite with Petty -- win, lose, or draw.

VaBchJet and PulseJet like this.
  10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I used to agree with that but after sanshit and genie pennington looks like montana.

11. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I believe his name is Eeyore.

[​IMG]

PabloJa and DaBallhawk like this.
  12. greaser

Look, it can be easy to fall into the looser mentality and I'll agree I'm guilty. Its just so incredibly difficult to share the emotionally vested ups and downs with an organization that never seems to get it. They always seem to be the yappy dog barking and chasing behind the good teams. I mean really, at this point, what can I say to a pats fan? You're Cheaters? Well guesss what? Besides Cheating that organization also makes everyone that plays in their system look like first ballot hall of famers. Matt Cassel, Dion Branch, Danny Woodhead... I'm not sure Welker or Brady for that matter would have the careers they had if it were with another organization.
    Meanwhile, you have the NY fricken Jets drafting Geno and Mark and getting cute with wildcat offenses.

13. DaBallhawk

Aww. I always had a soft spot for him when I was little. Poor Eeyore.

SonofDinger likes this.
  14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

No doubt Bill Belichick drives a tight ship, demanding discipline from his players. ..And he will stick his tongue down his daughters mouth if the mood and feelings are just right ;)

15. DaBallhawk

To be fair I don't think Brady would have been that guy anywhere. Hell, if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt Brady probably doesn't even get a shot like 99% of the late round quarterbacks. I don't think BB would have replaced Bledsoe 1-2 years later with Brady. He wouldn't groom a 5th round pick to take over for Bledsoe. He probably would have signed another old reliable QB for a couple years to run his system. But at that point he didn't have a choice, he had to go with Brady and Brady did more than enough at that point to be considered the new franchise QB. Kind of like Kurt Warner with the Rams. Another nobody who for some weird reason was forced on the field and somehow just played lights out.

We just have to have some faith even with our history of drafting terrible QB's. It's a new era, new GM, new HC. Petty has a terrific arm is, he can move, he's smart. The only thing about him was that he had no experience under center. That's pretty much it. Once he gets this part down he has a chance to be a really good starting QB. We'll see how long it's gonna take him but he didn't seem to have any issues with that in the preseason. What he's gonna struggle with is the stuff Bowles has mentioned early on. That he has to pick up the offense, he has to be able to read defenses, identify the mike linebacker to make sure our blocking assignments are correct and that nobody gets through unblocked. Now that I think about it hopefully Mangold is ready this week because we're gonna need him to do that and help out Petty with the protection and picking up the blitz.

greaser likes this.
  16. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I'm going out on a limb and saying whichever qb plays has a great day....... It's a game against the jags at home....... I mean come on.......

17. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

At some point we have to put the kid in and the Jags are a good opportunity. I would like to see him play, and I would not like to see Geno play anymore. Playing Fitz with an injured hand is not very promising this week either.

18. Revis Now Redux

Revis Now Redux Active Member

Dude is way too raw right now to ruin whatever bit of potential he has by throwing him in the fire like this.

19. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

It's going to be just one game, Fitz will play against Sexy Rexy on TNF. Do you really believe that if he doesn't do well this one game his confidence is going to be so ruined that he's never going to become starting QB material? That's more delusional than thinking this kid could be our Tom Brady.

20. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Wouldn't exactly call the Jags in Jersey a fire to be thrown into. It's arguably the best situation for a young QB to gain some experience. Petty is a smart guy, one who's driving himself to succeed. Even if he plays poorly he'll be able to look back on what he's doing wrong the rest of the season whilst watching Fitz (or even Geno, he played pretty well despite the sacks and dumb run which were born more of trying to do too much and getting flustered ((maybe he doesn't realize he can throw it away out of the pocket)) ) operate the offense the right way.

It's just one game. We're in a good position in the AFC to make the playoffs, we clearly have a top tier defense when healthy and not making errors, 6 games of solid D is more telling than 1 of bad. It's not the end of the world if we lose. And it's not like we're going to see Petty tossing it 50 times unless he's just ripping the Jags up at which point everyone in the thread creams in unison.

Let the kid experience the live thing against one of the worst in the league whilst our other boys heal up.