Week 8: New York Jets vs Oakland Raiders thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by talisaynon, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Not you, you've been rational and fine. But I was reading the comments section of a bleacher report article and it was flooded with Raiders fans pounding their chest and declaring this an easy win. They're a good team on the rise that had an impressive showing on Sunday, and we aren't a powerhouse, but a lot of guys are getting ahead of themselves.

2. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

No doubt he's improved and has a better deep ball and potential moving forward but not sure how dishonest that was. Carr is throwing 7.57 average yards to Fitzys 7.01. The total yards and completion percentage are similar. Carr has done a better job with the turnovers but Fitz has the higher QBR at 76.0 to Carr's 60.
    Similar numbers but he's not clearly outplaying Fitz. I bet Fitz outplays him this week but that's due to our defenses which ours is much more superior although I'd give a left nut to have a pass rusher like Khalil Mack on this team.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO as always it boils down to the basics. The team that executes as planned and makes the least mental and physical errors will win the game.
    The game last week was a painful example of how great teams capitalize on the other teams weaknesses to beat them. Pats were by no means great and overpowering, we fought them tooth and nails till the fourth quarter, we even overcame a dreadful start, BUT, BUT, BUT, when the game was on the line Brady and the Pats found a way to exploit our weaknesses in coverage and the REST is history.
    We are not there yet, we have a few pieces missing, but we are showing great promise.

Sunday's game needs for us to start strong and impose our will on their defense and offense. There are no weak opponents in the NFL if you don't play your best, and Oakland is a very competitive team, focused and combatant till the end. Hopefully our key starters are healthy enough to play.

4. raiderrocker18

raiderrocker18 New Member

But 0.5 yards per attempt is a pretty significant disparity. Sample sizes are pretty small, so there's that.

Carr's volume is also a tad misleading because he played about 1.5 quarters in week 1.

Total QBR, or any stat that relies on somebody's subjective interpretation of plays, should be taken with a grain of salt. PFF, for instance, ranks carr as the #7 qb this year. I tend to stay away from those.

It's also true that raw numbers like traditional passed rating are context-less, so there's no perfect answer. But if you take it all into consideration, the big picture (in my biased opinion) points to Carr over Fitz so far this season.

5. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

not necessarily. they still have crabtree who is having a solid year with just as many catches as cooper and 3 scores. Murray is having a solid season as both a runner and a reciever. reece, rivera,helu... they spread it around to alot of guys.

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

it is just smarter to have 2 or 3 backs instead of 1 bellcow

its going to cost you liek 1/5 or 1/10 the cost to not have to pay some star back. and you can have a specialty player in there who can catch passes. also insulates you better vs injury.

jets running game was just as productive as dallas run game last year only we didnt have to pay star money to demarco murray

7. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

Fitz has not played as well as his total QBR, and that's really the only stat that thinks he is having a great season. The reason his QBR is so high is because he has given a lot of value running the football, in addition to rarely having been sacked. QBR rewards a QB greatly for rushing value and avoiding sacks. In terms of purely throwing the football, Fitz has no doubt been in the bottom half of the league (maybe even bottom third). I think it's pretty indisputable that Carr has thrown the ball better this season and is the more skilled player with a higher ceiling. I'm not knocking Fitz because he has had some solid games but I think any Jet fans that are telling you that Fitz is having the better season are being homer-ish. You guys have the edge at QB and every Jet fan on the planet would trade Fitz for Carr in a heartbeat.

That said, Jets are the better team and their D is set up very well to contain an outside WR-oriented attack that the Raiders present. I think Carr may make mistakes against this secondary. I don't see how the Raiders have an answer for Marshall or Decker, and it will be tough enough for them just to limit Ivory. Jets 27 Raiders 20

8. raiderrocker18

raiderrocker18 New Member

yeah, smart money is on the jets to take this one, i'm just glad its in oakland, so we do have a puncher's chance

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Wow, the clocks turn back an hour on Saturday night for daylight savings and Bowles is using pacific time for the trip. This trip is going to be like quantum mechanics for some players...

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Carr no doubt has a better arm than Fitz. Heck, Geno Smith has TWICE the arm. But right there shows you arm strength in only part of what makes or breaks a QB. Rushing value, avoiding sacks (especially in FG range), actually KNOWING what the defense is in and what they're trying to take away on a given play, having a feel for the game and knowing when it's appropriate to take a risk, and when it isn't.

I think our Defense is doing to make Derek feel like his brother David.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Don't you dare start this shit up again

12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

To steal a line from Al

Just win baby

dammit I don't care if we run, pass, intercept, block, fumble, lateral or luck our way to a win but I just want a win

Take care of business and we lock it down at home week after.

13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Chris Owusu suffered another concussion on Sunday. You think a Stanford grad would have other things lined up?

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Considering cell phones change time automatically there should be no problems using local time.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Who's in charge of getting Geno there? Lol

ajax and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Let's hope he doesn't go see The Martian. He might actually believe it's the future

Jets4eva9011 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Bowles has his game on down to every detail.

Rex would never have thought about this type of "time management".

19. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Really worried about our injuries. We are short safeties and wideouts. Why is it whenever you get an injuries you get a rash of em. You know. It's not like... um, fair and shit.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

rex kept everyone on e.s.t. which led to a bunch of players missing the meeting. cris carter was on mike and mike telling how he missed a meeting while he was with the vikes. traveled to tampa and got messed up with the time change.
    bowles is keeping it simple.