Chris Ivory

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by yanks9596, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

He reminds me of prime Marion Barber. Same physical running style & size, Ivory is way faster and more explosive though. Hopefully he doesn't burn out as fast as Barber did.

All that shit for a 2yd gain. Stuff like that can drain you after a couple of years and you lose your passion.

2. jco2007

jco2007 Active Member

Sorry, but 101GangGreen is the winner of this debate. I love Ivory and he's probably a top 10 back...but he is not better than Charles or Bell. No chance.

3. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

thanks to a career day against a weak rush defense Ivory is 3rd in total rushing yards after 3 games… 5 yards a carry, 3 TD's…

Forget this stupid argument about who he's better than, he's great, he's been great for a while and we should re-sign him.

I wonder how much he'd make in the open market? I just want him under contract here for the next two years or so...

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I think of the Sherman tank running backs, Lynch, Ivory, and Lacy in that order

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We'll see how he holds up over the course of the season. He's already missed a game leading to the extinction of our running game for a week.

I'll take the following running backs over Ivory:
    Le'veon Bell
    Jamaal Charles
    Adrian Peterson
    Marshawn Lynch
    Matt Forte
    Eddie Lacy

You're entitled to your opinion. Until Ivory does it for a full season there's no way he's better than any of these 6. Talk about pure running style all you want, but Bell and Charles consistently produce tons of yardage for their team including Charles' 5.5 career yards per carry average.

One thing's for sure. Ivory is easily the most sore player in the NFL week to week. I wish they would've kept him out of the last couple drives last week to protect but I guess they figured to work him a ton going into the bye.

6. DaBallhawk

Fair enough, there's no right or wrong in this, it's all a week to week thing. If Ivory pulls together 5-6 similar weeks he'll be considered the top dog or at least one of the 3 top guys. If he goes back to his usual 12 carries for 64 yards or something of course comparing him to Peterson is a bit (or very) far fetched. But he has the ability to be among the top 3 backs and if he gets the amount of carries needed for that he's gonna do it, like he did against the Dolphins. If he stays healthy and the O-Line doesn't completely suck it's just a matter of time. That's a big if but that last game gives me hope. 30 carries for about 170 yards when he was supposed to be a gametime decision and he's not even hurt or anything after the game, now with the BYE on top of that...give me hope that maybe he can be durable after all.

7. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Ivory is just amazing the way he barrels through defenders like the Tasmanian Devil.

Ivory is the third best rusher and he's only played 3 games. Love this guy.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It was tough to keep Ivory out on those last couple of drives ... Stacy did a decent job, but other than the TD and screen play he was non-existent running the ball ... no chance in hell Ivory can sustain this level of play getting 25+ carries a game. I just don't see it. We need Ridley to get healthy to help Ivory out.

9. DaBallhawk

[​IMG]

Ivory is heartless. He shall be known as Tinman from this day on.

Freddy Mondo, jetsclaps and JetsLife3 like this.
  10. JetsLife3

JetsLife3 Member

Wait decades? You mean like just 1 decade right? I hope you didn't forget about Curtis Martin.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wonder if they would explore free agent runningbacks. At this point it'd be tough to justify those guys as being in football shape but Pierre Thomas is still available to my knowledge. I always wondered why. Ahmad Bradshaw is still out there too.

Dare I say Ray Rice? It's ashame that he'd bring a circus because I'm sure he can still play. It's sad the way his career fell into the rut it did when he didn't do anything nearly as bad as Greg Hardy, or perhaps even Sheldon and also received forgiveness for his actions. The power that a video can do putting the actual act out there for the public to see. Greg Hardy would probably be in jail for the rest of his life if we saw him torture that poor girl.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You should definitely base your opinion off 1 game against one of the worst run D's throughout the first quarter of the season. Definitely.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Guy is a friggin tank. I don't think he's happy unless he head butts two players every down. With Powell and Stacy spelling him when he needs a rest, we have one of the best groups of backs in the league. I would like to see more of Stacy though.

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Let him get the amount of carries Thomas Jones did and he'll blow those numbers out the water

15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Great player....Hopefully Ridley can come back at some point to keep Ivory fresh

RochesterJet likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I just have this bad feeling that down the road after his playing days are over, Ivory will pay the price for this style of play. The human body just isn't built for the kind of sustained punishment Ivory is doing to himself while he's banging on the defense.

Not trying to jinx the man but I am concerned. Don't want to see another horror story in the news. If you think it can't happen, ask Earl Campbell when he can get out of bed.

twown likes this.
  17. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

His body will probably be aching in his old years like most NFL players, but that's why they're highly compensated, and they're playing a game most of them are extremely passionate about for a living.

As far as I know he hasn't suffered too many concussions - that's when it can get scary.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, we can only hope. Ivory knows the risks and its his choice to make. Not sure how much money is enough to compensate for decades of pain after the glory of the game is over. These hits do seem to be cumulative so the more times he dishes out the punishment, he's also taking punishment. Life of a NFL running back.

19. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

A few million.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

He's a lot of fun to watch. We just really need to keep him fresh. When you running back with his pace and ferocity, you tend to get banged up. He will continue to get banged up if we can't establish a consistent second option behind him. I would really love to either see Powell step up and have a a few big games in a row or Ridley come into the picture and add another spark.