All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Jets just announced Fitz is the QB regardless of smith's health...no surprise there.

NYJetsO12 and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

How's the jaw, Geno?

Did you ever pay IK back the $600?

_

MiaJets305 likes this.
  3. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I was probably harsh with my first post and I'm very happy with the win and how the defense performed last night. I just don't think creating five turnovers a game is sustainable and we're going to need to create more offensively. Now, Fitzpatrick is not at fault for most of this, but we can't stretch the field vertically and are depending on simple quick hitting concepts that better defenses will pick apart.

When the windows are huge, he's pretty good. But when he has to avoid rushers (which he did well last night ), and keep his eyes down field and throw into tight windows, he's prone to missing open WRS underneath and forcing stuff down the field. I agree he was okay last night, but there are still concerns.

4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

No, in the movie Nuke punched Crash, but learned from Crash as he used his non-throwing hand. Nuke didn't get his jaw broken. THE END. Roll Credits.

5. JStokes

Completely fair.

_

6. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Yes, but can Geno read defenses, recognize blitzers, call protections and make sure everyone is in the right place? Has he been able to do that? These are the things that kill drives. Just being more agile and having a stronger arm are not all that QB is about

jerseyjay14, FlaJet and MiaJets305 like this.
  7. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I posted this earlier but you may not have seen it.
    Out of 35 dropbacks:

21 were clean reads and VERY accurate throws. Intermediate throws crisp and on target. Dump offs were on point but generally unsuccessful in gaining yards as the Colts defended these well.
    8 passes were accurately thrown but were either dropped (Enunwa twice, Decker once) or defended (the Decker catch knocked out in the 4th at the 10.)
    So 29 of 35 passes were good reads and accurate throws by Fitz. I'll take that any day of the week.

Of the remaining 6 passes, 2 were deep balls Fitz threw under pressure that didn't have a chance of a catch or interception (not bad decisions), 1 was an inaccurate throw to Marshall along the sideline, and three were forced deep balls that were accurate but questionable decisions. The Marshall INT, the next series where Fitz threw the same route to Marshall that was double covered and almost picked off again, and a deep ball to Owusu in that 4th quarter scoring drive that was accurate but was in double coverage and Owusu couldnt come down with it. Too risky of a throw with the game on the line. But looking at Fitz' accuracy, only one pass in 35 could have been considered badly thrown. Thats just a great job by the QB.

8. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I'm done with the what ifs or the secondary for the colts sucked so he should have been able to tear them up for 500.

When the Browns went up....the handwriting was on the wall.....the jets would allow a second rate Qb put up numbers and make this a game. False...didn't happen. They adjusted. Then they buried them.

After making Luck look horrible...the seas opened and they allowed a very jet-like drive. Surely they would respond in a JET way and 3 and out on our next possession. False. They instead had the perfect drive of the year....almost too easy.

I'm a Bowles guy right now. When he says its great to be winning while the guys are ALL adjusting to a new system.....I'm sold. Impressed. Very impressed.

Ubiquitous, MiaJets305 and Cman68 like this.
  9. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If Geno was looking shakey the QB competition would've been more open.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets have NEVER had an honest Qb competition in the Ryan Era up to and including this past TC. Geno was gonna start until he got cracked. Fitz healing up and then getting acclimated to the Jets and Gailey again would have set him up to be a backup only.

11. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

These coaches seem to know their business. I am content to let them do their work. They know more than me.

12. JStokes

You realize if Fitz puts up another 65% 250 yards 2 TDs 1 INT next week folks will say "yeah well Kiko Alonso didn't play" lol.

_

jaywayne12 and MiaJets305 like this.
  13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

We got that kind of defense where we won't be having shoot outs ! :cool:

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm loving it.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Fitzpatrick is better than Dilfer was.

MiaJets305 and Cman68 like this.
  15. MiaJets305

MiaJets305 Active Member

Lol I literally was just telling my brother the same thing

16. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

nope, not there yet. not about to raise my super bowl hopes based on Fitz's play, no,no,no,no,no….NOPE.

good stopgap. glad he's here. comfortable with him starting the next 3-4 games. leaving it at that.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Did you really sign up here just to defend Geno Smith? Good God.

18. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Fitz certainly was not the problem last night. Had Fitz been the QB when the team went to 2 AFC Championship games with Rex, we probably would have at least one SB right now.

With Fitz, this team could easily win 10/11 games IF Chan Gailey stops being conservative and playing for FG's. Quite simply, Gailey's play-calling kept the Colts in the game, and that is not acceptable.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I get the point about rolling with Fitz if the team is playing well and he's doing a solid job. I just don't agree with the notion of playing a vet over playing a younger guy. And it isn't like the vet is Favre or Peyton either, we are talking about a journey man.

I think Geno in year 3 with this team is better than Sanchez in year 1 of the 09 season. So it's not as if we're playing a rookie either. The team thought that Geno was capable enough to run the offense that they decided to make him the starter, and this was after they watched film on him, so even if Fitz wasn't hurt they probably still give Geno the job. I mean we see how they treat people who they don't think fits their system (Kerley) so to me it's not asinine to think that they thought Geno couldn't have stepped up in year 3.

I agree that Geno hasn't done much to be given the job back once he's ready. But I don't agree with the idea of putting one down just to prop up the other.

20. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

Average qb play with this defense equals playoffs but no SB.

zace likes this.