All we've been begging for is average QB play and folks are complaining?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JStokes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

C'mon maaaaaaaan........

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

"We" don't know anything for sure.

But I do :D

_

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I almost said C'ome on man!

_

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Although I agree with your main point, it's possible he would not have attempted those throws against better corners and probably would not have done it more than once if they had been picked the first time. Sometimes you take a shot knowing your guy is better than thier guy/s. The CS may have told him to take a shot if he saw something.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

And what is one of the best ways to try to get one's running game untracked when it is struggling and the D is keying on the run? BINGO! Taking some deep shots downfield. That helps open up the underneath routes as well as the running game.

PulseJet likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Excellent points. I made the point about the running game in an earlier post. Take shots downfield, helps loosen things up and get the rushing attack going. Some people are so obsessed with finding something to complain about that they forget basic football 101.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

We may have a stud RB, but you know as well as I, we have to pass it, we have to keep some semblance of balance. Throwing downfield helps open things up for the rushing attack. It can keep the safeties deep and out of the box. In addition, Ivory was playing with a pulled groin last night, so was more limited.

8. NCJetsfan

Unlike Rex-coached teams and defenses, I seriously doubt if this team will get into many (any?) "shootouts" because the team is better disciplined, better coached, and has better talent.

9. NCJetsfan

Excellent post!

10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Good point. Fitz had a very good game, he was very accurate. Just would rather when he takes those shots they arent into double coverage. But he only threw one pick and that catch was terrific and a tough one to make. So all good.

hornblower likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I did not know he was injured, don't know how I missed that. I like the passing attack, sometimes I think OCs get a little too pass happy, especially when the defense needs a breather.

Slow it down a bit and keep the clock running. I'm not complaining about the offense as a whole, as I feel they are a play or two from making an explosive play, maybe I'm just not used to gailey yet and as the season goes on Ill know what to expect and feel comfortable with his game management.

12. NCJetsfan

Without the benefit of hearing inflection of tone, seeing facial expression or body language, or knowing the person speaking well, detecting sarcasm can be one of, if not the hardest things to detect on the internet.

13. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Yeah I know but I thought the last couple sentences sold it.

14. NCJetsfan

That's fair, and I wasn't trying to give you a hard time anyway. In terms of last night's game, I think the point can be fairly made that from the time they went up 10-0 they got too conservative. They tried to run too much. You can't do that on the road and against a team with a stud QB who has the weapons Luck has and expect to win very often. In addition, the Colts were down to the their #4 and #5 CBs. They had a guy who has only played STs his first couple of years in the league playing D during drives last night. You have to take advantage of those kinds of situations, and it was like Gailey was trying to be "fair" or "kind" to their DC. I think that one can make a very strong case that the Jets should have passed MORE last night.

Another poster (I forget who and don't have time to go back and find his post) said that on the Jets drive where they put the game away, the calls coming into Fitz were running plays and Fitz audibled into passing plays. If that's accurate, then THAT is what won the game for us. I am totally convinced that if we had continued running the ball, that Luck would have found a way to get them into the endzone or at least get the tying FG and then win in overtime or in the last seconds of the game. That is stupid coaching IMO. Gailey should know better, but even though he runs a spread and uses more 4-5 WR looks than anyone else, he gets too conservative at times. When your running game isn't working and your top RB is limited by a pulled groin, you have to rely on your passing attack. Gailey's conservatism in the second half could have easily have cost us that win. Hopefully he learns from last night, but at his age, I doubt it. He will probably cost us a win or two somewhere down the road, but for now, I'm gonna be happy with last night's win and hope that Fitz can keep playing and audibleing out of those stupid conservative calls.

PulseJet likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Is it possible that the very reason Fitz decided to take those shots was because he knew the guys in coverage were 3rd string scrubs and the chances were that they weren't going to make plays on the ball?

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They'll get in a few shootouts during the season because that's how the NFL works. The 2000 Ravens beat the Jets 34-20 after going down 14-0 in the first quarter. Vinny threw for 481 yards that day, which was a 6th of the Ravens season total passing yards allowed. The Ravens also won a 39-36 shootout against the Jaguars that season with Mark Brunell throwing for 375 yards.

You can't shut down the league all season. Sooner or later somebody is going to put up some real yards on you and often points to go along with that.

hornblower and BrowningNagle like this.
  17. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The game started @1:30 in the morning for me. Geno is normally kind enough to throw a couple of picks and a fumble or two before we get to 2 o'clock and allow me to go to sleep.

How dare Fitz show competency at the position and keep me hanging on till the end of the game to record the win!

He clearly does not understand the 'Jets way' and I for one cannot wait for him to be benched so young Eugene can return us to normality.

NCJetsfan, Brook! and Jets_Grinch like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes but you also expect to lose some games over the course of the season and that's okay. say they play 6 "shootouts" this season and lose them all. just win the other 10 games where your defense plays well. 10-6 hello playoffs. it has worked for Arizona and so far the Jets are 2-0 in those games. so 8 more to go

hornblower, Br4d and Jets_Grinch like this.
  19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Could be that Fitz is not holding the ball near as long as Geno did last year. This takes pressure off the O line which means there is much less likelihood of the need to hold.

Big Blocker likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

another thing I am liking about Fitzpatrick right now. He is managing his risks well. We all know his issues with arm strength but so does he apparently. He's playing smart enough to realize he doesn't have a howitzer so he's not forcing throws and playing like he has one. There's something to be said for that

Br4d likes this.