So the fire Idzik goons got their way... happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 1, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

He did change some of the front office. Like bringing in Rod Graves who he had a good relationship with. He kept Bradway who I don't think was a horrible executive and if Tanny had listened to him we would have drafted Russell Wilson. His years as GM weren't terrible and we made the playoffs several times. As for Mac there are no results yet. So you can't give him a grade. Not signing Wilk could be smart. Maybe he just wants to negotiate plus see the kind of season he has in '15. You just don't hand out those huge contracts without doing your due diligence. If things fall apart this year after he spent most of the cap both him and Bowles will be on the hot seat. But I think the Jets will win at least 7 games this season and maybe one of two more.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

his drafts were absolutely awful.
    trading up is exactly what he should've done last season instead of sitting on his hands again.

i remember praying we'd move up a few spots in round 2 to grab Jordan Matthews.
    then the Eagles did exactly that, while we got soft ass Amaro instead. yeaa.......but we preserved our fourth round picks for Saunders and Evans. man it was bad.

FlaJet likes this.
  3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'll take Amaro. Jordan Matthews was good but so was Jace. I guess to your way of thinking if you're injured then you're soft. 4th round Wrs are a crap shoot. Some overachieve and some don't.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I acknowledged that Idzik made a small change or two, but not enough. I don't think Bradway is as awful as most posters here think, but I don't think he ever should have been retained when he was fired or forced to resign as GM. You just don't do that kind of stuff in the professional world. He needed to go.

No there are no "results" in yet in terms of the regular season, but there is every reason to expect positive results and a good grade based on the the changes that were made and the way the team performed in preseason. Of course preseason play is not a reliable predictor of how a team will do in the regular season, but I will be shocked beyond belief if barring major injuries to key players, the team does worse than 7-9 or 8-8. I think it's even possible that they could go 10-6, and maybe even 11-5 if everything went their way.

FlaJet likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Jace's "good" was a mirage. Did you actually see him play? His stats were a result of the spread offense his team ran. On 90-95% of his receptions he was never covered and they were within 5 yards of the LOS. Hell, you or I could have probably put up similar stats in that offense when we were his age. He looked stiff, un-athletic and was not a good blocker. I didn't want him at all. If you know me, I'm no fan of trading up in the draft, and didn't want to last year, but I would rather they had traded up for Matthews than taking that stiff Amaro.

VaBchJet and BacktoQueens like this.
  6. BacktoQueens

of course you would.....it's consistent with your cluelessness.

Matthews is a stud, Amaro plays real soft and one-dimensionally, and the WR's are no longer on the team.
    it was obvious to anyone we couldn't keep all 12 picks rostered. it was the perfect opportunity to go after value.

what's really amazing though, is that going with the quantity approach, we still didn't manage to hit on at least one. that's almost hard to do.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The biggest single reason that Wilkerson hasn't been extended is that nobody wants to give out superstar money for less than a superstar. Mo is an excellent player but he isn't a superstar. If he wants a J.J. Watt contract he has to be near the league leaders in sacks every year from the 3-4 DE/DT position. That's what Watt does and it's why he got that deal from the Texans.

Marcell Dareus got the huge deal because he's the best young interior lineman in the NFL right now. 10 sacks from DT last year. That said, he didn't get a Ndamakung Suh deal because Suh is a superstar and Dareus just looks like he's going to be next on that train at DT.

FlaJet likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree. While they were bad enough I didn't want him running another draft for the Jets, I don't think they were awful. Awful to me were a number of Tanny's drafts where he traded up and we came away with 3 or 4 players to show for the draft, and where those players were mediocre if not awful. At least Idzik gave us Richardson, which alone prevents him from getting the "awful" tag from me, but he also gave us some talented young players in Enunwa, Geno, Reilly, Marcus Williams (although as a UDFA), and a few others.

9. BacktoQueens

Tanny trading up netted us Revis and Harris...
    you can't always trade up, but there is a time and place to do so.

last year was the time. there was no way we could roster all 12 picks, and there was a ton of value to be had that draft.
    Idzik was far and away a horrid drafter.

i can't see how you are citing Geno, Enunwa and Reilly as examples of good drafting.
    those guys wouldn't be rostered on most teams.

Big Blocker, FlaJet and nyjetsmets89 like this.
  10. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Two counter-points:

1. It's not easy to find a quarterback (particularly a Super Bowl caliber QB); there's only like 7 or 8 in the league, and

2. It wasn't his job - it was the GM's job.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

One other point about firing IDzik was that it was not merely a matter of not having him run another draft. It was also that everyone knew the Jets were going to have to spend a lot of cap money, and there was no reason to have faith in him running htat process. No doubt there is irony in the fact that the huge amount of cap space resulted from his lack of moves in the two previous seasons, and he may well hae had the plan to build up that space to make big moves this past off season. but his own slowness and lack of production the previous two off seasons undermined any confidence in him pulling that off this past off season.

FlaJet and BacktoQueens like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you want to find a QB you stop pushing so hard for the defensive players the Jets kept taking at the top of the draft. That's on Rex.

The real problem the Jets have had for nearly a decade now is that the best evaluator of talent in the organization was the head coach, but only in his particular area of expertise. The rest of the organization was essentially mediocre at evaluating talent so when the head coach began pounding on the table for a player he usually got what he wanted.

Eric Mangini drafted Darrelle Revis and David Harris and the Jets traded up to get both of them. Then he went to Cleveland as head coach and drafted Joe Haden and T.J. Ward. he knew DB's and defensive players in general.
    Rex drafted all those defensive linemen, because he knew defensive linemen.

This is why the GM is supposed to be where the buck stops. The Jets have sucked for much of the last decade because they had a defensive head coach and an unstable QB position.

Was it unfortunate that Geno was the QB that fell to the 39? Hard to say given the uninspired play of the entire class of QB's but taking a QB on that pick was the right move. The Jets had to find a QB somehow and letting the guy ranked #1 on most boards at the position flow by would have been a mistake.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. BacktoQueens

oh absolutely, the poor drafting was just part of the iceberg.
    he would've low balled all the big FA's out of the gate and missed out on them. then forced to spend, he would've overpaid for mediocrity to meet the minimum. he had no feel for the market.

and can you imagine him running the HC search?
    what coach would want to team up with him after what just happened, and knowing the short leash Idzik was on?

not to mention Bradway and our crack scout dept would remain in tact.
    it would've been disasterous if we retained him this season.

FlaJet likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Yes, he got us Revis and Harris, but not a lot else.

I disagree about last time and not being able to roster all 12 picks. The Jets had TONS of holes last year. While it rarely happens, with the lack of quality depth and practically NO depth, with good picks, all 12 could have quite possibly made the team. As I said previously, however, if Idzik had traded up for a WR like Matthews, I wouldn't have had a problem. Each draft is its own situation. There are times when trading up can be the right move, but there aren't many times that I think trading up is acceptable.

Like many posters here you must hate Geno. The fact is that the kid has a TON of physical ability. If he had gone to a team that had a quality HC, OC and QB coach, he would have been handled much differently, would probably have sat on the bench for a year, maybe two, and would in all likelihood be a quality QB. He still may be. He has some resilience. I think Enunwa is going to be a good player for the Jets. He's got great size, pretty good hands, blocking ability and has positional flexibility. Reilly is a good STs player and is better depth than we've had at OLB in a while. He was a 7th round pick for pete's sake. I think you're overstating things. I didn't like Idzik either and am glad he's gone. I don't think he deserved another year on the job, but I don't think he's as awful as some of you are trying to paint him or as perhaps I tried to paint him last season. Some of his picks are panning out or looking like they will. Were his drafts good enough? No, but they were better than many of Tanny's and Bradway's.

As for them not being rostered on most teams, I think that preposterous and flat out wrong. Look at all the awful QBs still with jobs in the NFL. Geno is better than most of them and still has potential. Enunwa has shown a lot this preseason. He would definitely be on another team and Reilly would as well. I think that Winters and Aboushi would probably be on other teams as well. The Jets aren't the worst team in the NFL by far. You are way overstating things.

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

There was no "uninspired play" on the part of that 2013 QB class--it was a massively weak class from top to bottom.

2013 was not the year to take a QB. In any round.

2014 was the year to take a QB. Pretty much in every round.

_

VaBchJet, FlaJet and Big Blocker like this.
  16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

You have no evidence - none - that it was Rex that pushed Tannenbaum and/or Idzik into taking defensive players at the top of the draft. And there's some evidence that the GMs really didn't care what Rex wanted when it came to the draft; the most obvious example being how in Hard Knocks we learned that Rex got to make one pick a year under Tannenbaum and it was in the late rounds of the draft (and he took an offensive player).

Again, you have no evidence that Rex "pounded the table" for defensive players - none. And it's not Rex's fault that the scouting department sucked (which it did); that's on the GM.

That's okay, let's examine what Tannenbaum did in Miami this year ...

1. First round pick - drafted WR - remind you of the Jets (Stephen Hill)?
    2. Second round pick - drafted a DL - remind you of the Jets?
    3. Signed the best DL in the league (to league's highest contract) - remind you of the Jets?
    4. Gave a big contract extension to a below-average QB - remind you of the Jets?

But somehow, when all this happened with the Jets, it was Rex's responsibility and influence, not Tanny's. It begs the obvious question: Is Rex running Miami this year too?

Pure speculation.

Then why are you blaming Rex?

#496 Unhappyjetsfan, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  17. NCJetsfan

While you know that I loved Teddy and liked Carr, and do agree that 2014 was the year to look for a franchise QB, I disagree that 2013 was not the year to take a QB in any round. The Jets needed more than just a starting QB. They also needed a backup. I think Geno was a reasonable pick. I know you don't like him at all, but I think he has a ton of physical talent, and I was glad they took him in the 2nd round. I thought that was a good pick on Idzik's part. Where they screwed it up was by throwing Geno to the wolves. He shouldn't have seen the field in his rookie season under any circumstances. Sanchez should have started, and the Jets should have acquired a veteran backup. Geno should have been allowed to focus on his fundamentals - taking snaps from under center, working on his drops and footwork, working on learning to read Ds, working on his accuracy, learning the offense, and working on his leadership skills. He may have not even been ready to play his second season, but they could have seen how he developed his rookie season and made the determination last off season.

He didn't have the football IQ, readiness to play in the NFL, or accuracy of Teddy, but he had talent that could be developed. They could have taken him to be their backup and potential starter, but not let that deter them from taking Teddy last year. Of course, the problem with that scenario is that with MM as the OC and Rex as HC, even sitting, Geno may not have developed that well, if at all. Idzik and Rex could still be here, or at least Idzik and the HC of his choice, and even with Teddy, I'm not sure we'd be looking at as bright a future as we are now with Mac, Bowles, Gailey and Petty. As much as I love Teddy's potential, if it meant having to keep Rex and/or Idzik, I don't think it would have been worth it.

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Physical talent is useless without that football IQ. And that's not something you develop IMHO, you either have it or you do not.

It's a massive waste of a 2nd round pick to have grabbed your future backup QB. I'm sorry, it just is.

_

FlaJet likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I would've had no issue starting Sanchez for at least 1 more year [2013], we should've looked to acquire talent on the roster then to just spend a value pick on a QB... then looked to get a QB in the 2014 draft.

2013 was a shitty class, only a select few on this board knew that at that point in time. Everyone said Geno was a good value, pick but a value pick to me is something you draft maybe in the 5th round or something.

FlaJet likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I disagree on both counts. I think football IQ can be developed. Why shouldn't it be able to be developed? It comes from experience and knowing what to look for. It's not rocket science. As important as the QB position is and with the way QBs get injured, it's not stupid or a waste of a pick to take your backup with a 2nd round pick. If your starter gets injured, you want the backup to be as good as possible and for their to be as little dropoff as possible. I'm sorry, but I think your stance on these two issues is wrong.