Week 1: Cleveland Browns @ New York Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Sep 6, 2015.

1. John_621

John_621 New Member

Interesting matchup between the Clowns O-Line and the Jets D-Line

Jets: 27 Clowns: 13

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Browns are coached by a Rex Ryan wanna be. Nuf said.

Jets 7
    Browns 6

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like the Jets match-up here. Josh McCown looked clueless last year and in this year's preseason. The Jets D should be able to handle that Browns offense. On the other side, Fitzpatrick may have a tough day against a good Browns D, but Ivory and Powell should be able to do some damage and set up some safe passing plays for the offense. Play turnover free, and I see a 24-10 Jets win. Hopefully the team is even better than we all think though and they dominate.

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I would love for the defense to make a statement right out the gate.

Royal Tee likes this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It'd be really nice to see a win again. Because of the 8 game losing streak at the beginning of last season, the Jets haven't had a "meaningful" win since September 7, 2014, exactly 1 year ago today.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  6. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

7. Big Cat

Here's some awesome news: the rehab area at today's practice is completely empty. Geno has his helmet on. Mauldin, Pace and Devin Smith are practicing. No red jersey for Kerley.

The 1985er likes this.
  8. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Where is the look alike thread!

Jay Bizniss and xmscott like this.
  9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

My old man is from Ohio and a life long Browns fan. It broke his heart I never followed suit and joined him in the "Dawg Pound." But whatever. He's got that early September optimism every NFL football fan has right now and is talking trash about game 1 already. It'd be nice to have bragging rights with a big Jets win in the Ptflea household :)

ajax, Royal Tee, Jay Bizniss and 2 others like this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Run the football. Don't turn the ball over. Play defense and don't beat yourself. I feel like this has been the recipe for the past 5 years. Work in some playaction and take your shots downfield when necessary. I'm excited to see Bowles and Gailey not using vanilla schemes for once. 6 days!!!!!!!!

xmscott likes this.
  11. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I can't see the browns scoring touchdowns in this game. Maybe a couple field goals. If the Jets turn the ball over in their own territory then maybe the browns get a touchdown. The browns don't have even 1 good skill position player on offense. They have no receivers, no running game, and a bad QB. If the Jets don't make mistakes (turnovers, special teams errors, pick 6's, etc.) I think 10 or 13 points wins this game.

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Personally I think this is gonna be a near blow out.....its gonna be a tight game with the Jets leading going into half time 14-13 .I see the wheels falling off the Browns wagon late in the 3rd after McCown throws multiple ints Jets 31 Browns 16.Also think there will be a Jets defensive TD at some point

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Marshall will be dbl teamed with Decker in single coverage while the Browns SS moves up to support the run D. Fitz and Decker will have a good game.

14. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I'd be a lot more worried if this game was in Cleveland. If we lose at home to this Browns team with no QB its going to be a very long and ugly season.

15. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

First, very nice summary of the Browns by the OP.

I was just coming on to wish you guys good luck with no injuries for the game this weekend. I'll post what I had from the Browns' point of view.
    The Browns' run D was awful last year. Awful. However, we actually have healthy bodies out there and I think our depth can stack up with any team in the NFL. Shelton has been playing better than I could have hoped. It's a bummer Taylor's legs have gone out because this would have been a great game to have them both on the field at the same time. What I am still very concerned about is our OLBs contain on the run plays. Both Kruger and Solomon are not very consistent holding the edge. Armonty Bryant and Orchard both have shown to be better in that area.

I agree that overall your corners are best in the league. I'd take our secondary as a whole over yours though due to what I perceive as the delta between the safeties. Gilbert is like our 5th or 6th corner at this point. He is a huge bust. Cannot be relied upon. Haden and Tramon Williams are the starters outside and K'Wuan Williams played fantastic last year, which is a big part of the team letting Skrine walk despite having tons of cap space. I like both guys but K Williams was just as good as Buster inside last year and is extremely cheap.

Hartline has been playing great and looks like the guy that topped 1k yards in '13 and '12. Bowe has been awful. I'm not expecting anything from him. Hawkins is an extremely tough cover inside but Buster is probably one of the best candidates in the league to match up with him in short areas. The situation where I think we have a chance to soften your guys up a bit is to put Benjamin, Gabriel, and Hawkins on the field at the same time. All three guys are sub 4.4 players. i think most everything else I covered above.

Anyways, good luck on the health front this week!

Brook!, seanofthedead, ajax and 2 others like this.
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Whats the rain forecast like?

I want to go to the game, but right now precipitation is right down the middle for the day

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Joe Haden will prob 1 on 1 against Marshall all game. Look for their 2nd CB and Gipson [FS] to be shadowing Decker most of the game.

I can see Decker having a big game, but Gipson is a freaking ball-hawk - Fitz has to be very careful.

18. Big Cat

Thanks for the insight, and good luck to you as well! I agree that the Browns might be able to exploit the middle of the field against the Jets' linebackers in coverage and they're better served to run outside than inside. Demario Davis is a huge key to this game. He was awful in coverage and tackling during the preseason. He needs to step it up to take away the tight end passing game and the outside running game. If he doesn't the Browns will be able to move the ball a lot better than most think, despite their disadvantages outside and running between the tackles.

CleveSteve likes this.
  19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The Browns added some interesting WR's in the off-season. Hartline is a very under-rated receiver. We don't know which Bowe will show up. Is it the lazy sloppy route runner or a guy that will suddenly re-appear as a key play maker now that he's not saddled with Smith as QB and isn't the main offensive threat? I can see Hartline burning Cro for a few deep receptions early before the Jets realize the Browns run game isn't going to do anything, the question is can Clev turn them into 7 or just 3? Duke Johnson is the real deal but he's not 100% and Crowell isn't very good so after a few series I think the Jets adjust to pressuring McCown with a variety of blitzes to throw off his timing routes and they shut down Cleveland the balance of the game.

Jets 21 Brown 13

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Something tells me we are going to see Manziel come into the game at some point