Booing Geno

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetster, Aug 9, 2015.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It was against the jet defense that could not force a turnover to save their lives last year. Why didn't anyone cheer that?

2. NYJetster

NYJetster New Member

If this is how people react to a few practice sessions, it's gonna be a hellish long pre-season.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that is a long off-season.

Here these poor bastards are after having to wait six months to boo and you guys are trying to spoil their fun.

Red Menace and NYJetster like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Fitzpatrick was a good pickup. He knows Gailey's system and he's started a bunch of games in the NFL and he's had at least one pretty good year in the system.

The question is whether the Jets have the balls to go with him early if it becomes clear that Geno is still stumbling around out there and costing the team games.

I believe it to be true that you can probably develop just about any QB into a decent starter if he has a strong arm and good legs. However it could take years to make that happen if his deficits are poor recognition and a slow release and right now those are Geno's deficits.

If the Jets went into this off-season with the intention to setup a system Geno could grow into and they acquired the kind of players needed to thrive in that system then we're ahead of the curve a bit. Giving Geno a one read spread and instilling in him the intention to run at the first sight of trouble would have been one way to go about that. Acquiring Brandon Marshall, who is the one of the best intermediate range receivers in the NFL would have been another. Jace Amaro fits into that type of offense and so do Devin Smith and to a lesser extent Eric Decker who are the necessary elements to take the top off of the defense and keep them from flooding the intermediate routes.

However if Geno is still having trouble once the season begins do the Jets sacrifice the 2015 season to make this happen, still not knowing if Geno will ultimately make the adaptations necessary to becoming a good QB in the system?

The billboards in November will be about Geno if the Jets try to make that happen.

5. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Do you believe a word that this team says during training camp? I don't, They have said the Geno is having a good comp for two years and we saw in the regular season what BS that was.

As for the Booing, it not his fault the team thinks he is better than he is. The problem lies in us needing this guy to play well to have a good year. and I don't think he can be motivated by it.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think the Jets so far are willing to go with Geno to start the year. He's been much better than Fitzpatrick which to me is a little surprising - it seems as TC continues, Geno is getting more confidence. I don't think Bowles will have an issue making a switch early in the season - depending on his performance. The real test is the game before the BYE week. If Geno REALLY stinks of the joint, Bowles will have to make a decision.

They need to find a way to get the ball out of Geno Smith's hands quicker; I think a quick 2 read system would be best for Geno to start off and gain confidence, then open up the playbook as the season progresses. Geno seems to be a little more mature as of late too, he's really taking this thing head on.

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/jets-nation-confident-geno-on-camp/

Perhaps the off-season session with this Tom House guy really opened his eyes - because he does sound like a different QB. He's talking about the mental aspects of the game; and I think that's something we were waiting to hear about. It's possible we see a completely different QB come week 1. I wanted Fitz to win the job earlier in the year, but Fitz seems to be really slowing down, Geno has been miles better - I think that says a lot in regards to his improvement.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If they leave a bad geno in, it will be because he is still looking better than fitz or petty. Nothing more nothing less.
    Now how it is interpreted here will play out much like the great sanchez tebow debate of '12. But that can't be helped

8. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Oh boo fricken' hoo. Winning in the NFL isn't easy and you can't just buy championships like the Yankees. This is our team, and booing our starting QB at the beginning of the first intra-squad scrimmage is disgraceful and idiotic. It instantly adds pressure on the team. It makes the players feel like we aren't behind them. It gets the media jackals sniffing for prey, and forces Geno to answer stupid questions about how being boo'd at the beginning of the first intrasquad scrimmage of TC makes him feel. It creates unnecessary distractions when all the team should be thinking about is getting better. Is that kind of environment conducive to winning a championship?

Geno is our best chance at long term success. Not Fitz. Not Matt WTF Moore. Geno completed roughly 80% of his passes in the scrimmage and threw 2 TDs on Revis AND Cro! He's playing at a high level. We need him to play well and he needs us to get behind him if we want to get positive results. Confidence breeds success. If we go 0-4 and Geno sucks, they can boo all they want because our season will be over and we will be headed back to the QB drawing board AGAIN. Right now, we have to believe that we are a playoff team. When we behave like a bunch of ignorant fools and moronic assholes expecting to lose, we will get failure.

#88 Jetaho, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    NY Jets68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. TestaverdeWinsGames

I think Bowles will have a longer leash with Geno than most seem to think. Chan hinted at this, but Fitzpatrick is not even "plan b". He is our "break glass in case of emergency" QB. Why? Because if Geno fails so badly that he gets benched for Ryan F. Fitzpatrick then this season has already been a waste.

It's really sad that we're so desperate for competent QB play that we talk about Fitz and Matt Moore as potential saviors

FJF likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Bowles will sacrifice the whole season, but I think they will give Geno every opportunity to prove he can be "the guy" as they should. IMO Geno has taken huge strides forward in TC. If he continues that growth in the rest of camp, preseason, and then into the season, I think they will forgive a few stumbles. He'd have to have a major collapse to get replaced. One thing I'm sure of...Mac and Bowles won't give a damn about any billboards, petitions or airplane banners.

NYJetster likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good post, and I agree with almost everything you've said, but take exception with a couple of comments. One, the Yankees are in the thick of things this year and didn't "buy" anything. Most pundits thought they would, and they didn't. They did that a time or two in the past, but that was Steinbrenner. I don't think Cashman has done that.

Second, I object to your use of the term "mouth breathers" as if that's abnormal, subhuman and indicative of lower intelligence. It isn't. Some people due to asthma, and other medical conditions breathe more through their mouth than their nose. Professional singers and wind and brass players breathe more through their mouth than their nose. I teach voice, and many of my students, particularly older adults struggle because they were taught that breathing through the mouth was bad and that they should breathe instead through their nose. Utter BS and rubbish!!!! Please refrain from using that as a disparaging comment. Thanks!

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Mark Sanchez was also a great practice player.....As far as Geno being our best chance at long term success he hasn't shown he is capable yet.He has shown flashes like the Miami game to close out the year .He has to stop making the same mistakes over and over again before I have any faith in him

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You can boo Geno all you like...but you can't say he's not trying.

Imagine if he had Jay Cutler's attitude.

TNJet likes this.
  14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I just hope he has matured a little bit during the offseason.Hopefully he can wait until "Gone Girl" comes out on dvd/blue ray next time around instead of missing a meeting.Not to mention cursing at fans and throwing the towel over his head and sitting by himself when he makes a mistake......Smith to Harvin for the INT.....Smith To Harvin for the INT ....Smith to Harvin Again for the INT!!! Its gonna take more then Geno "trying hard" for me to forget that day

15. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Your so right. If we had a bad defense these people booing would say he only having a good camp because of the D is so bad. Ala last year training camp.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Would you rather he be bitch slapping his girl or driving his Bentley around like a lunatic?

Geno is a good kid. The brouhaha over him missing a meeting was way over the top.

If hard work plus talent equals success, then Geno has as good shot at anyone at making it work in NY.

The game should start to slow down for him...then he won't resemble a skittish colt out there.

17. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I was illustrating a point with the Yankees comment that might not be true to form this year, but certainly has come into play in the past. Big money teams in MLB have an unfair advantage that doesn't exist in the NFL, and can buy competitive teams. The same can be said about the Dodgers and Red Sox, and even Mets circa 1995.

Sorry about mouthbreathers comment. I will use about "moronic assholes" or "ignorant fools" instead.

NCJetsfan and NYJetster like this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Louis Armstrong was a mouth breather?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

And who is looking out for the "knuckle draggers"?

_

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Jane Goodall.

NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.