Jets select QB Bryce Petty in round 4

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, May 2, 2015.

1. BroadwayGeno

BroadwayGeno Member

People really think this is Fitzpatricks job to lose?

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Doesn't every kid in his position "want to play"?

What's fourth round QB money nowadays?

Geno walked after round 1.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hey...

Once he sheds the crutches...he's golden.

4. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

asks "Broadway Geno" LOL

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Doesn't every kid in his position "want to play"?

I would hope that's his attitude.

What's fourth round QB money nowadays?

I have no idea, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say it's not nearly what first round money is.

Geno walked after round 1.

Don't know what this means!

6. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

It means Geno was such a self promoting jerk that he could not deal with the idea that he wasn't a first round pick. When he wasn't selected in the 1st round he left the draft and left NYC. Try to keep up

7. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

[​IMG]

8. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Ok we all know that Williams is supposed to have a good chance of being blue chip. But if you asked Mac and Bowles which of this year's draft picks if they had a choice would be elite: it's Petty.

9. westiedog1

Who cares? What's important is what he does on the field.

10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It speaks to his character. Or lack thereof.

His field work hasn't been so good either.

_

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm no spring chicken. I'm willing to wait.

Yes, Petty has a great arm and is smart, but played in a very limited offense. Most people think Mariota needs to sit, and Petty needs that even more. Even if there's only a 10-20% of it hurting his confidence/development, is it really worth the risk for one dumb season?

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I know!

Go Matt Simms!

13. NCJetsfan

Well for one thing we humans aren't stamped out with cookie cutters. Just because one QB is ready to play in the NFL, doesn't mean that they all are. We grow and learn at different speeds and have different psychological makeups. Even though you're correct that a lot of our QBs over the years have arrived DOA, that doesn't mean that they all were. I was never a fan of drafting Sanchez, but he may have been able to develop into at least a quality backup, if not starter if he had been handled correctly. I doubt it, but it's at least possible. It's also possible with Geno, although doubtful.

Luck played in an NFL-type offense. He is one of those rare types that is a complete package, a once in a decade-type talent. Petty isn't that. He played in a collegiate system that is about as far as one can get from an NFL offense. He has footwork issues, and one cannot play well consistently with basic fundamental issues that one is thinking about and trying to correct. Most players have an adjustment getting used to the speed of the NFL vs college. This is even more critical at the QB position, where the defensive players are bigger, stronger, faster, and the defenses much more complex. The pressure is also a million times worse in the spotlight in NYC where everybody knows how long we've been looking for a quality QB and how desperate we are. Trying to make him the franchise's savior and take us to the playoffs this season is insane. It's the same stupid crap that Rex did with Sanchez. Many Jets fans have criticized that, and yet some of them are turning around now and wanting the new regime to do that to Petty. It's nuts!

Petty may be one of those guys that can handle being thrown to the wolves, but most people aren't that way. It destroys their confidence, and they can't relax and let their talent take over. IMO it's just not worth the risk for one stinking season. That's why I've been saying since the draft that people need to calm down and get off of this "the team is built to win now" crap. I don't think any such thing, and I think it's silly for people to think that it is. It's just impatience or naively getting carried away. This team is going to struggle some and have some ups and downs. It happens with almost every team when a new CS comes in and systems change.

14. NCJetsfan

It's not like he's a "national treasure." It's just common sense. He's the best hope right now for the future for the Jets at the QB position. We know Fitz isn't the future, and it's pretty darned clear that Geno probably isn't the future, either. If Petty isn't it, it's back to square one. He needs to be given every opportunity to succeed so that we finally have a decent QB. Coming from the system he played in, with some of the fundamental issues he needs to work on (footwork, reading Ds, etc.) he needs time to focus on those free from the pressure of preparing for a game each week and of being the franchise's "savior."

Sure the competitive side of him may want to play, but hopefully the intelligent side of him realizes it is not in his or the team's best interests for him to play this season, at least early this season. He needs and deserves some time to adjust, to work on the things he needs to correct, to learn the offense. He shouldn't be rushed onto the field just because some fans are impatient for a winner or don't like Geno or Fitz.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yep.

Unless Geno comes in and looks like something he never has been...you know, a serviceable QB.

The staff will take someone safe and steady, over someone that might...get somewhere.

They aren't married to Geno, and FWIW, it would be in the teams best interest to sit him for a year, and let him actually develop....it IS possible Smith could learn to be a good QB at this level, but he was more green than Sanchez coming out and was not ready for Prime time.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not true.

I knew reading comprehension was not your strong suit.

he was GOING to leave. But stayed instead.

Though he did leave his Agents shortly thereafter.

Try to keep up

Read a little bit...maybe...just maybe...you'll retain some of it.

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I doubt it. He's too busy insulting others and making snarky comments.

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  19. westiedog1

Whatever Geno may or may not have done at the draft two years ago is water under the bridge. As you say, his field work since then hasn't been good and that should be all that concerns us now.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

All we need is a serviceable QB , one that doesn't turn the ball over, and we can make some strides improving this team .