2014 Mike Francesa Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jul 29, 2014.

1. scott dierking II

scott dierking II Active Member

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

hmm..wrong call.

3. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

One of the big differences I noticed from jet interviews past, is that our guy actually answered the questions in an honest and intelligent manner. Tannenbaum generally shut him down right away. The team treated them like shit in favor of their deal with ESPN (really a dumb move considering the large hold on the sports radio market that wfan has in ny). Rex was Rex, and that obviously needs no explanation. And idzik was even more guarded and gave horrendous answers.

Mikey Mac instead took the approach of kill them with kindness, and answered questions like someone who had nothing to hide and knew what he was doing. He sounded like he's been doing this for 30 years.

Don't get me wrong, mike can be a huge dick to callers, but if you listen unbiased, you tend to notice it happens when the subject gives him a reason. Usually it's a moronic reason, granted, but there usually is one. Mikey Mac gave him NOTHING to be negative about. Not with his tone, his words, and most importantly, his job performance so far. Big ups to Mikey Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I liked how Maccagnan pointed out when talking about Richardson-Mo-Williams that teams with stacked defensive lines (Giants, Ravens) are the teams the Patriots have had the most problems with.

5. NYJFan10

No he's definitely been a huge dick to the Jets in general the last few years...it started with him mocking Rex's comments after the Colts game in '09 (and getting on Bart Scott before that for his mouthiness). Part of that might be ESPN-related but part of that is his own pro-Giant bias. And also part of that is just pushing callers' buttons to get the phone to ring.

But I mean what does getting on Revis for the Brandon Marshall pass interference or whining to Idzik about how he's been shut out of the building have anything to do with him 'being provoked'?

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. greenbeanz

Absolutely. All correct. But let's not act like our side makes it easy either. Mikey Mac tho, came in very disarming and calming. Like he knew exactly how to handle a guy like mike. And he absolutely crushed it. Mike had no choice but to respect him.

7. NYJFan10

Mike was also predisposed to like him anyway, judging by his 'the Jets are being run by adults now' comment post-drafting Williams.

8. greenbeanz

Yeah. He's definitely softened his stance on the jets since the hirings and free agency.

9. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

LISTEN: Maccagnan says new-look #Jets are as competitive as can be heading into the summer. http://t.co/tjcW2aNSOd #NYJ #NFL

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Once Brady starts getting hit he's a totally different QB.

11. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Tank is buddies with Parcells and Bowles is from the Parcells tree, hence the change in attitude.

APK 8 and irishwhip03 like this.
  12. greenbeanz

Never knew that. Definitely makes his change in opinion on us much clearer. The only other time I remember him being consistently favorable of us is the parcells days

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Exactly....before the coaching hirings in the NFL, Bowles was Francesa's pick as the best of the bunch.....Once he was hired by the Jets, Mike atleast stuck with his original assessment that the Jets chose the best guy out there

All stems from Parcells who is tight with Bowles and Francesa.....as others have said

Francesa also seems to like Mikey Mac too...just from the few times I've heard him talk about him

14. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I think he kind of slipped up when he was talking about the mock drafts and let us know that if it wasn't Williams but Cooper that fell, the Jets would have taken Cooper.

15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with saying that....It would have been almost unanimous all around that Cooper should be the pick if he fell to us

Nothing crazy there

greenbeanz likes this.
  16. Charlie Kelly

I agree, just didn't expect him to give that away

17. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

It's doubtful that they would have been there together at 6 though. So it's plausible that they were banking on Cooper being there at 6 and not Williams. It would be interesting to see if they were both there at 6, but chances of that were pretty low.

18. greenbeanz

Honestly no reason to not say it. The draft is done. Can't tip your hand on something that already happened. Plus, it makes for good insight.

19. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Interesting that Mac said he likes Simms a lot. He may still be in play here...

20. Charlie Kelly

He spent the entire interview avoiding saying what players he had targeted other than the ones they drafted, the only time he slipped up was right at the beginning when he said there was one scenario where he saw Cooper fall to 6. Most of the time teams won't talk about it for whatever reason although there are a handful of exceptions to that rule.

I think the thing that surprised me was how much attention he said they pay to mock drafts