Should the Jets contact La'el Collins?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Zach, May 3, 2015.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Rex: "La'el it's great to meet you! If you join the Bills I guarantee you get at least 10 sacks!"
    La'el: "Um, yeah, but I play offense"
    Rex: "Offense? WTF. See you in hell son".

Dom and Get me the Damn Ball like this.
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You don't get it, I think.

What matters is whether Collins was drafted. If he was, then he is eligible for next year's draft. As of now, he cannot enter next year's draft since he wasn't drafted. Now, his only chance is to sign as a UDFA. Starkly different scenario if he was drafted at 7th round.

3. Sixto

Sixto Member

sanctioned in that the protocol is to let the players agent know. Rex didn't do that.

4. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

If his agents had kept their mouths shut, he would have been drafted (mid-to-late round), he could have sat the year out, and re-entered the draft next year and been a first round pick. Instead, they told teams to not draft him, so now he can't re-enter the draft and he can't get any guaranteed money this year. His agents don't have a clue.

5. Sixto

Sixto Member

being undrafted he can renegotiate after two years. If he sat out a year then that's a lost year, so basically it's only year-2 where he'd be underpaid, but then he can break the bank after two years. He'll do fine.

This all assumes that he didn't do the crime, and he's great on the field, but if so he'll be a rich man and earlier then he would have been if he got drafted late.

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah that was the whiniest bottom line story circulating throughout the draft. When I read that I was like who the hell does this guy think he is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Dolphins meeting with Collins now. Pats up next I'm assuming.

8. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Per Rotoworld

Profootballtalk reports teams can't officially meet with LSU G/T La'El Collins until May 9.

It explains why the Dolphins are sending only players, and not coaches or executives. It's unclear how Bills coach Rex Ryan was able to host Collins for dinner. It means the race for Collins might not really heat up until Saturday.

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm glad the Jets are rushing to sign this guy.

10. BroadwayAaron

We don't even have any LSU ties do we? Would hate to see the Bills or Dolphins end up with this guy. And if they do... I hope he's guilty.

11. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Ridley.

12. BroadwayAaron

I keep forgetting he's on the team. Probably because there's a chance he may not be.

13. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

This has to be wrong (and considering the source is Profootballtalk, more likely than not it is wrong). He was a player, eligible for the draft, who went undrafted. Just like every other player, eligible for the draft, who went undrafted ... he and his agents can meet with teams (and sign) the instant the draft ended.

EDIT: The only thing teams can't do is meet with him at his house or on campus until after finals ... but that applies to all players (even ones who have been drafted) and has no bearing whatsoever on meetings with his agent or his ability to sign a deal.

#93 Unhappyjetsfan, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
  14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The Bills should be fined a pick for toe sucker taking him out for dinner.
    I thought teams weren't allowed to speak with him.

15. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I guess Rex learned a few of Billy B's shady tricks.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

OMGZZZ TAMPERINGGG, 100,000 dollar fine and loss of pick plz

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I saw a lot of potential in Aboushi last year, much more then I ever saw from Winters. The Jets have a lot of questions at the guard spot. They gave Carpenter a decent amount of money so they obviously want him to be a starter but he's questionable at best. Seattle gave up on him.

Aboushi, Carpenter, Colon, Dozier, Winters, and Harrison. We have 5 guys competing for 2 spots the way I see it. It's probably the most interesting competition we have going into training camp.

Like I said, given the money they have Carpenter, they plan on him starting. So with that said, if they don't believe in Aboushi, they should look into Collins. Offensive line was a real strength for this team when they were winning. They haven't had anything better than average O-Line play over the last few years.

18. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Why offer Collins a spot at guard - in truth he should be trying to land somewhere that he is seen as a tackle - in three years the cost of a guard contract is less than that of a tackle and we have a need at RT IMMEDIATELY with an upcoming vacancy at LT in a few years when D'Brick retires. If the FO chase Collins he should be given every chance to replace the current RT

19. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm speaking more from our particular needs. We can use an upgrade at RT as well. I just think we have bigger holes to fill at guard.

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound right.

Sounds right.

_