Calvin Pryor Player Assessment So Far

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Altoona, Oct 17, 2014.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The guy was not that good last year. He missed a lot of tackles and his play in space was horrible. He took bad angles and gave up big plays. Now grant it he was playing out of position. Now with Bowles saying he will be a SS in his defense. So let's see how that shakes out. But I feel with Mac and Bowles this Idzik picks will be on a short leash. That includes Milliner and McDougle.

Jets69 likes this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Calvin Pryor assessment:

Eric Smith.

TNJet and Jets69 like this.
  3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Accept we drafted the new Eric Smith in the first round, pure genius

TNJet likes this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Yep, but give him a chance. I was expecting a difficult rookie season but I was more concerned about him lumbering around in the backfield like a 35yo vet on several occasions. He took some horrible angles at times.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Even for a rookie Pryor did not play up to his draft status. I hope it was only that he was not being used, but as others have referred to his poor angles on tackles, that is concerning.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Saw some good things, and saw some bad things. Took some bad angles, but had very good closing speed.

He wasnt as good as I expected, but there is a ton of talent there. He's got at least another season before I pass judgement.

Walt White likes this.
  7. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I see this guy is available and wouldn't mind bringing him in for a visit, considering all the damage he has done to NE superstars over the years (Brady, Gronk, Welker trifecta).

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3700/bernard-pollard

The Welker injury was non-contact but Pollard was the one who tackled him on the play and was nearest to it:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ker-yelled-just-like-tom-brady/1#.VShKiJNcC84

It is absolutely uncanny -- Pollard also had this big hit / forced fumble on Ridley in an AFC Championship game:

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Say what you will but we were in a draft with great WR prospects and we came up with Pryor. SMH.

Kerley Shuffle and Jets69 like this.
  9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Fixed that for ya.

_

TNJet and Axel3419 like this.
  10. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Random coincidence.... after the pollard hit video on YouTube ended, this one came up on the playlist

11. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Who would you have taken? Only first rounders left were Cooks and Kelvin Benjamin, and many though Benjamin was another Hill type/future bust.

In a re-draft, we should have taken Bridgewater. Not a wr.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love both Cooks and Bridgewater and wished the Jets could have taken both, but in having to choose one or the other, it's not even close...I would have sprinted to the podium and taken Bridgewater.

westiedog1 and Axel3419 like this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You take Bridgewater in the first and Amaro in the 2nd. Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Marquise Lee - those were guys I was interested in, but I think Amaro has the talent to succeed.

Truly sad that at that time, during the draft, I knew the Jets weren't interested in Bridgewater - and he was just sitting there OTC. Really hoping this isn't something that comes back to haunt us.

Well let's hope Pryor makes plays as a Strong Safety, hey now that Troy P is retired, maybe there's a new gunner safety that can come out of the wood works, could be Pryor.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Really? How so?

The Jets really hadn't had remarkable safeties for his entire tenure. Leonhard never prevented a play, just made a tackle after a big play. Smith didn't even do that...

15. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

T that's correct Rex was able to stick 2 strong safeties on the Field because he was always sending the house and had receivers locked down. His defense fell apart when he couldn't rely on the corners

johnny likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Pryor was put in a terrible spot last year, working with that secondary, your rookie year, is rough man. On top of having a miserable supporting cast around him, he was forced to play out of position all year long. Everything was stacked against him last year, so If he can take positives away from that horrible season, he will be a better player for it.

I fully expect him to have a much more meaningful impact this year.

He has a full year of being a pro under his belt, he will have a far better supporting cast around him (which makes life easier for any player at their respective position), and he will be moved to SS which is his more natural position.

SS is where he can really show his skills, he was born to play that position. Everything he does well, is beneficial to the position.

I was a fan of his when he was drafted, I still think he is going to be an amazing SS, but time will tell.

This year should give us a good idea of what we have in Pryor.

Walt White likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They are not anything like each other.

Eric Smith is black

All Gas No Shake and ajax like this.
  18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Pryor can be a poor man's polamalu with this supporting cast. a very very poor man's polamalu. lol. He would never have the instincts and field vision of Troy but that's understandable. Pryor will knock the shit out of you though... ask Charles Clay .

[​IMG]

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Whuuuut?

_

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Old skool TGG joke

NYJalltheway likes this.