Jets 2015 Offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Feb 1, 2015.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

YES!!!!

love this move and was concerned we wouldnt bring him back. i thought he was great for us last season and love the depth he brings. hard worker too. love it

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis and nyjunc like this.
  2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

this is exactly how i feel as well... i never believed in idzik's ability when it came to evaluating talent, but i think there was a strategy in place, and a pretty sound one. and one he was allowed to see until the end.

some fans might think we could have won like 10 games last year. i think that wouldt be the case and it would be unwise to win 8 or 9 games in a throw away year when you are in dire need of a rebuild.

no matter how you criticize him, the end result is we had 50+ million and the #6 overall pick to work with this offseason. and im glad that was the plan because it is paying off now.

FJF, MikeSLTJ23 and TonyMaC like this.
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he was preparing for a future he never got to oversee.

MikeSLTJ23 and TonyMaC like this.
  4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Thankfully for us fans

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Adam Caplan‏@caplannfl 5m5 minutes ago
    The #Jets are expected to sign veteran ILB Joe Mays, per sources. He's expected to sign by early next week.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Since there is nowhere near enough room on the roster (forget the draft) for all these people it's pretty obvious they are all camp fodder.

7. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

8. Charlie Kelly

Yes of course, teams are allowed to fill 90 roster spots for camp aren't they?

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and out of the chaos of all these camp bodies, I'm hoping the best 53 we've seen in years take the field on opening day! Real competition for once! This Is Sparta!!!!!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Man, I haven't seen the Jets pay this much attention to the linebacker position in some time. I like it!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Charlie Kelly

According to the Jets website they have 74 players on the roster (assuming they don't lose Jarrett and Snacks to RFA) and it is not reflecting Erin Henderson, Stevan Ridley and Joe Mays which would put them up to 77 assuming all three actually sign. That leaves 13 roster spots, and if they do not trade up or down then they add 6 more players from the draft putting the total to 83, leaving them 7 players shy of the 90 player camp roster limit

12. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

C'mon. Having an absurd amount of money under the cap and a top ten draft pick is not a plan. It is a result of completely sucking at your job as a GM. Out of 12 draft picks last year, Amaro, Pryor and perhaps McDougle are the only ones still with a shot in the NFL. The other nine players are disastrous picks. Again that's not a long term plan.

You can fire the entire team not show up for a whole season and the next year be 130 million under the cap and have the number one overall pick, is that a sound plan? Because that is basically what Idziot did.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I thank God that he didn't get that chance. I think that you're underestimating the job Mac has done. Even if you're right that Idzik was prudent not to overpay in FA last year for a CB, he still could have brought in more than one 2nd tier veteran CB. He could have also signed some vets at other positions for depth and competition, rather than going with a bunch of rookies and inexperienced players. I realize that his plan was to build through the draft, and maybe he thought he had 5 years to do that, but if so, he should have known that the fans, media and Woody wouldn't have been willing to go through that many years of sub .500 play. IMO Mac has set himself apart not so much with his big money signings (although he signed a completely new defensive backfield, and I don't think anyone expected that), but through his signings of excellent veteran depth. Idzick could have signed more veteran FAs like at OG or ILB or WR to add competition and depth. I like adding and developing youngsters, but if they're not ready to play at a high level and you don't have the luxury of having 5 years to rebuild, you're in trouble.

In terms of his big spending in FA, many were hoping for Revis. Some were hoping for Cro or another CB like Culliver. I don't think that too many people expected him to sign BOTH, plus Skrine and Gilchrist. I feel certain that Idzik wouldn't have done that. I truly believe that if Idzik was still the GM, the Jets still wouldn't have spent enough money to satisfy the requirement and he'd have been really scrambling to find more FAs and would have had to overpay them a lot to get to the needed amount. I think it's certain that Revis wouldn't have come back. We might have Cro, but doubt that either Skrine or Gilchrist would be here. I'm not sure we'd even have Carpenter at OG.

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

12 picks in the year of the QB and the year of the WR and he got neither.

Could have set this franchise up for a decade.

Fuck him.

_

NYJetsO12, bartscott and legler82 like this.
  15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

16. legler82

I'm pretty sure we would have have signed Carpenter since he is a former Seahawk.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

there might not be a limit but the first cutdown number is to get to 75.

18. NCJetsfan

We may have, but if so, I think that's where he would have gone first rather than trying to sign Iupati and/or Franklin.

19. legler82

Definitely.

20. NCJetsfan

Yeah, the more I think about it, you're right that Idzik would have signed Carpenter. I momentarily forgot that Idzik had been with Seattle before the Jets. I think he definitely would have gone their first.

I think there's also a pretty good chance that Dan Quinn would be the HC and the Jets would be transitioning to a 4-3 D.