Gene works with Tom House for 2 months

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Apr 9, 2015.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Some of his turnovers do have to do with mechanics. Granted yes, a lot of it is decision making/poor recognitions but he also throws off his back foot a lot and has a sloppy delivery from time to time. Cleaning that up will help as well.

legler82 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well some people focus or work on on the only things they know they can improve upon. Maybe Geno knows his mental limitations but was hoping that by improving his physical performance it would compensate for his shortcomings in the mental area. Then again, maybe he's a con man and thought maybe he could at least trick the Jets and the NFL into thinking that he was working to improve. Sadly, it probably would have worked with Idzik and Rex (they would have been fooled).

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

I think its safe to assume that if he's willing to spend time, $$$, and hard work with a QB guru on mechanics, he's also spending time watching film. Especially since he was described as being hard working in the film room in the lead up to the draft.

Stories like "Geno Smith spends hours & hours watching film from last year in his pajamas with popcorn" don't exactly make great newspaper articles but may in fact be true despite the lack of publication

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's kind of foolish to just assume Geno isn't watching film considering how much was made of his film room work ethic as recently as 8 months ago:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/15/geno-smith-impresses-jets-with-film-study/

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I look at what Kaepernick is doing right now w/ Kurt Warner in terms of his ability separate how to be a pocket passer and an athlete. They specifically talked about doing major film study as well as on the field practice.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ccuracy-touch-san-francisco-arizona/70560182/

Major details in that article. That shows he's willing to put in the film work. Maybe I am nitpicking.

You think Geno Smith learns things while watching his own film?

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

sweeeet Rex Ryan [a man w/ no accountability] thinks Geno Smith is excellent at film study. That film study sure looked good last season. En route to how many benchings?

Matter of fact, that film study was SO good that they had to tell Geno where to throw the football because he was incompetent in making good decisions.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

OK. I feel like we hear some fluff story about our shitty QB, no matter which one , working to improve every offseason. Can't knock them for trying to improve but I'm not getting excited over it either. Whoop-di-do, a guy getting paid millions to play a game is putting in some hours to try to suck less.

I need a beer.

jlee499, NCJetsfan and NY Jets68 like this.
  8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Hopefully it translates to the field.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

aka: Show Me..

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Bingo

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Pretty much. I like him but I have to call a spade a spade, he sucks but I'm rooting for him to become a good starting QB.

FJF likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No real news here. It is expected from any proffessional wanting to succeed. He needed to do it, he must get all the help he can get to get better, and he is doing it. Good for him. I feel it was his responsibility to do it, not a nice to have at this stage. His job is on the line.

Hopefully that will translate to good performance. We shall see. At least he is taking matter in his own hands.

MM game plan while simplified to a fault was by no means tailored to his strengths. The multiple reads controlled passing attack was way to much for him to absorb. Be interesting to see what we get this year.

13. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Always good to see a QB of a cold weather team doing most of his work in California.

Sure worked with Sanchez with that "Jets West" joke.

We know Geno plays well in warm weather. Go practice in Minnesota.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

By intelligence I would say I am using a definition wide enough to include a lack of judgment evident in such events as the way Smith was so unready for that Buffalo game as well as other events like missing that team meeting, etc...

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I have to disagree on two counts. One is that I do think he could at least try to focus on the mental by spending time on game film seeing what opponents are doing to defend against him and recognize coverage, and then to learn how best to counter it. It has nothing to do with being in a game or practice in order to do that.

Second I am not encouraged since he seems focused on the physical, which tells me he does not recognize and accept that his problems are actually more mental.

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

exactly, and putting faith in him doing so seems irresponsible.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I can't imagine McGags is sitting there thinking "we're taking Mariota...wait a minute, Geno's been working out with Tom House?!? We're going Cooper!!"

_

18. BrowningNagle

hahaha yeah but if cooper turns out to be a hall of fame receiver he will be praised for that savvy last minute decision and people will look to the Jets as a beacon of how to do things right!!

it doesn't matter what insanely stupid path you took to the result!

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Does he fix stupid? How? Show me.

Shining that already shiny chassis of a car with broken engine - or that was my impression.

20. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Not being able to process things happening so quickly in front of him does not make him stupid. Fixing his mechanics will help, but he will need the game to slow down in front of him to ever be successful. I remember watching a film study pre-draft with Gruden. He seemed like he really enjoyed watching film and knew what he was talking about (although I am sure plenty of QBs do). Hopefully this year with a new offensive system and more experience in the league he can combine mechanical changes with quick reads and smart throws.