Jets 2015 Offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Try using some analysis instead of just wasting cyber space.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Big Blocker

It wasn't only that Idzik picked Smith. It was also that he stuck with him into his second year, did not draft another available Qb, signed Vick to an FA contract but did not really allow him to compete, and then also let Cromartie go without trying to keep him and failing to replace him. It was like a combination left right putting the opponent on the floor, and him never getting up.

ajax likes this.
  3. Big Blocker

Not only is it still unpopular, it always will be.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Show me where i said "only"

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

6. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I totally understand that, though. If you don't get results in a big market, you're not going to last long. I wasn't a fan of his drafts, but I was very glad he didn't spend unwisely in a weak FA class. Some say he didn't spend because he was too cautious, too gun shy. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and determined that he set his values and didn't overspend. If given the chance this year to right the ship with a solid FA class, I'm not sold he would have been successful. I just thought he should have had a chance to do so. Anyone should be able to drastically improve a team when you have the most money in the NFL to spend. That's why I'm not overly impressed with what Mac has done yet, but that's because he did it all with a blank check. I hope he drafts well and am curious to see what he does in the future with less money.

ajax, FJF and nyjunc like this.
  7. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Geno was drafted in the second round but he was treated like an early first round QB pick. The Jets seems to be all-in on Geno. The Jets seemed determine to start him for at least 3 years before deciding if they should move on.

8. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

AlmostNamedMyDogRevis Active Member

Yeah that doesn't make much sense.

9. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

I don't mind the drafting too much minus a few bad picks. But my issue is that this man was terrible at managing free agency. We desperately needed two corners last year and he passed on the opportunity to get Cro, Rodgers-Cromartie, possibly Revis, Browner, Davis, Bailey, and anyone else who could've actually given us a shot at decency.

10. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

The only Idzik moves I really liked were Ivory and drafting Richardson, though I feel like that was Ryan's choice. But come on, CB is Rex's favorite position and Idzik seemed to deeply abhor competence at the cornerback position.

11. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I thought DRC, Vontae Davis, etc. were all overrated. I thought Cro was always a player that rested on his talent, and with an injury-plagued season, I thought his days were numbered. And Revis again I wouldn't have expected to perform the way he did last season. I didn't have a problem with him not overspending on those guys. In hindsight, Cro and Revis had great years, but I don't blame him for passing on them. On top of that, I think we were too cash-strapped to make big splashes, and the splashes wouldn't have put this team over the edge last year. There's no reason to perpetually try to be mediocre, so I was okay with breaking it down and building it up. He just wasn't given the chance to build it up.

12. Big Blocker

Fair enough, but the implication is that you were trying to separate the draft pick itself and identify it as a significant factor in his failure to keep his job. I think it was MUCH MORE what he did after the pick than the pick itself, but perhaps this is merely a semantic distinction.

13. AlmostNamedMyDogRevis

That's true. Still, he sort of screwed Rex. For Rex's defense to really work u need good CB's. I guess Milliner Patterson, and McDougle being unavailable couldn't have been predicted but still. Our starters included a free safety and an undrafted rookie during the season. Though I do like Marcus Williams.

14. Big Blocker

For myself Idzik's problems were hardly limited to being parsimonious. Even that is a difficult assesssment since he did things like sign Vick to $5mil and then not let him compete against the awful Smith, or signed a big contract with Decker, the contract with Johnson, etc. But then you had poor draft picks, cutting Cro without attempting to re-sign him and not having a replacement, etc. ad nauseum.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Geno Smith had a good camp and preseason, he was better than Vick. was also better than Vick in reg season too.

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

well U messed that up for me rather quickly lol. I hear what you're saying though.. I pray he's not a distraction.

17. Big Blocker

My biggest problem here in the middle of last year's off season was the way the Jets handled Cromartie's situation. There was NO information out there that showed or indicated that Cro's injuries were chronic and would last into 14. NONE. The much better run Cardinal organization understood that, and they did quite well in picking him up. This was not the common view around here, but I think that was mostly too many wanted to give the benefit of the doubt to not only an FO with no track record but one with a cap guy running it. Cro even begged to be able to come back, and the real kick in the balls was the Jets had no one to replace Cro.

Signing Cro to a redone deal last year would have had very little negative impact on the cap. That was not why he was let go. They misread his physical condition, which in context is very hard to understand.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

They were both great college qb's. Wilson was a better passer.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Kimberley A. Martin‏@KMart_LI 40s40 seconds ago
    #Jets are re-signing Leger Douzable on a one-year deal, I'm told

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the offense being terrible last year was irrelevant, as last year was a throw away season. the goal was to get cap space for this off season and to get a top 5 pick.

idzik got fired because woody agreed to a rebuild but then was influenced by the media into thinking the jets should be contenders. he is a moron owner that has always been completely reactionary.