Jets 2015 Offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Feb 1, 2015.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I was hoping it was the same night, that would've been funny. Jets get him liquored up during dinner then call the cops on him as he's headed out to the parking lot to lower his draft stock so they can pick him later. Sly Jets.

#761 joe, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Mariota's floor is Alex Smith... His ceiling is better than Russell Wilson.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

So far Macc has done nothing but scratch some checks using Idzik's cap $s. He's basically re-assembled our 2010 team plus Tanny's and John's draft pics. We're all happy with our team but the mark of a great GM comes when's there no cap space for years and he still finds ways to keep the team competitive. Spending his inheritance on a couple Lamborghinis is impressive but something you and I would do. Time will tell!

4. Footballgod214

They should do this with Winston! I surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen all the time. PI's from a team sitting at #6 dig up and publish dirt on someone they want to fall to them. Shit I'd do it all day!

5. Footballgod214

Mariota's floor is Geno Smith. Maybe his ceiling too. They're similar players and come from similar systems. If all you had to look at was their college games you couldn't tell them apart.

6. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Awful awful awful analysis.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

What? You think Geno was better?

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Just a bad comparison... Geno had turnover problems in college that transpired to the pro level. Mariota takes care of the ball better than any QB prospect I can remember when it comes down to int/TD ratio.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Geno had turnover problems in college? he had 6 INT's his senior year.

he was also very accurate in college as far as I'm concerned. his college quality didn't translate to the pro's, as is I think he's only now catching up to the speed of the game.

10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm actually glad someone made this comparison. I watched all of Mariota's college tape and came away very impressed. Then I became skeptical of analyzing college success and I wondered how Geno looked in college. Here's what I took away:

-Geno was absolutely atrocious at "feeling" pressure at WVU. He regularly failed to notice pass rushers who were unblocked and sprinting at him. As a result, he would hold onto the ball and stay on his mark way longer than he should have, resulting in fumbles and interceptions when he was hit while throwing. Mariota is far better at sensing pass rushers, and he regularly avoids pressure while keeping his eyes downfield, not having to see the rush coming to know it's there.

-Geno had a tendency to run backwards from the line of scrimmage that I absolutely hate. It translated directly into the pros. When he's getting rushed, instead of stepping up into the pocket or side stepping, he started sprinting backwards. It was just awful to watch. He used his athleticism as his saving grace, but even in college he was regularly sacked for way more yardage than he should have been due to the fact that he thought he could just loop around the entire defense. Mariota was mediocre at maneuvering the pocket in his first 2 seasons, but he showed a marked improvement in his Junior year. He never backpedals like Geno and he steps up when appropriate and runs parallel to the line of scrimmage to extend plays. If you need an example, go watch the Oregon St. game (his last regular season game). He was brilliant in the pocket in that game.

-Geno went through his progressions on occasion, but he was glacially slow in doing it. He stared down his first look, and stared, and stared, and when he finally processed that it wasn't going to be available he would move on and occasionally throw to 2nd or 3rd reads. It worked in the first half of the season while his line held up, but in the second half he started to take brutal amounts of sacks (and in turn, they lost most of their games down the stretch). Obviously, in the NFL he gets far less time to throw and you can see that the rush gets to him before he's even off his first read most of the time. Mariota is a very quick processor and he makes decisions very quickly in the field.

-The one area that Geno showed much more than Mariota was arm talent. He has a very, very strong arm. Also, he threw into extremely tight windows on a much more regular basis than Mariota. You saw more 'wow' throws from Geno, but that's also indicative of his propensity to throw the ball into traffic.

As you can see, most of Geno's college issues carried straight into the NFL. Failure to diagnose pressure mid play; poor pocket presence and slow/poor decision making. Mariota has issues in some other areas (e.g. mid/deep accuracy) but comparing him to Geno doesn't click for me because their college tapes are markedly different.

11. Footballgod214

Wow! and to think a lot scouts had him going in the first round. Seems like he was more of a 7th rounder. You should be a GM, seriously.

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

"If you were to look at Geno and Mariota's college tapes you wouldn't be able to tell the difference"

I pointed out many aspects of Geno's game that weren't in Mariota's. The reason that lots of ANALYSTS (not scouts; if "a lot of scouts" had him going in the first round he would have gone in the first round) had him going high was because of his arm talent. Also, they operate under the knowledge that different players have different abilities to overcome their college weaknesses in the pros. They knew the building blocks were there and they were hoping they could sculpt him. Obviously Geno struggled to get past the problems he displayed at WVU. Also, he benefited from a horrible QB class so he looked good by comparison.

But if you actually care enough to go watch Geno's college tape before you make arbitrary statements like you made, you'd realize that 1. Geno and Mariota are not remotely similar from a strength/weakness standpoint and 2. Geno's NFL pitfalls are on display as early as his college days

#772 Big Cat, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  13. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This is the worst comparison I've ever read on this board.

I don't care about what faux draft expert bloggers have said, their college games were nothing alike.

Geno was NEVER the player Mariota was. Ever.

The only football expert that couldn't tell their college games apart was Ronnie Milsap.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. JStokes

Absolutely comical.

_

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Next thing you know someone will post how Geno should have won the Heisman Trophy not Marcus.

Smith lovers beware, the ax is coming.

Big Blocker and Walt White like this.
  17. JStokes

Geno was the Heisman front runner when he was lighting up Marshall and James Madison (I thought James Madison was a girls school).

After WVUs schedule got tougher he was never mention again as a Heisman candidate.

_

lucrazy719 likes this.
  18. lucrazy719

lucrazy719 New Member

We all get it.....geno smith isn't very good......the front office made a terrible choice drafting him when they could've taken Levon bell or Eddie Lacey and had Glennon in the third round .....time to move on.....and mariota is not worth a six overall pick....you don't take projects that high

19. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i just want to get this draft over with damn, idk how much more i can take of these conversations

NYJets17 likes this.
  20. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

No. I approved of Geno in the 2nd and it didn't work out. The only comparison between the two is they're both system QBs. The other awful part of your analysis is that you said his floor and his ceiling are basically the 32nd best starting QB in the NFL. That doesn't even make sense.

People can think Mariota is going to be a bust. That's fine if you feel that way. But the comparison is BS in my opinion, and it didn't even make sense. Just my two cents.

I'm starting to think passing on Mariota would be a very big mistake. I also can't imagine this team passing on him. The biggest missing piece is the franchise QB. I'd be surprised if they don't think he can be a franchise QB. Maybe not out of the gate, but they don't need him to be out of the gate. You know what guarantees longevity as a coaching staff and front office? Being good at football. And that starts with having a franchise QB. They should smartly do whatever it takes to get one, and if you swing and miss, no big deal. There will be more drafts and more opportunities.