So, how much cap space do we have at the moment?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets4eva9011, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. The only question is were we bidding against ourselves? Would we still have Harris on the squad had we offered him half? 75%? If not for Rex, I'd say probably. I think Rex already had Harris penciled in possibly.

2. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Look at what Bowles did with Larry Foote this past season, and he's older and even slower than Harris.

I trust Bowles to use Harris like he did Foote.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

don't get me wrong I love Harris i just hate his contract. I also think it's time to start developing a young MLB & he's the perfect guy to do it. but not at that price no way, it is what it is though.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't know of anyone who "hates" David Harris. They hate the fact that he is so slow and a liability in coverage and was so grossly overpaid. He is a solid citizen, has been a great Jet and teammate according to everything I've seen about him. He has been paid like he was as good as Patrick Willis and he isn't, not by a long shot. That bugs some posters. The fact that the Jets have been beaten like a drum over the middle by TEs and RBs bugs a whole lot more of us. We just wanted a younger, faster, ILB who excels in coverage.

Jets69 and DoubleDecker87 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Hopefully, Mo will be re-signed and remain a Jet for his entire career. Snacks and Davis will be re-signed. Outside of Ivory and Coples perhaps, I see no one else that is a "must" keep on that list. Almost certainly Pace and Babin will be gone. Allen, Powell and Jarrett could be back depending upon their play in Bowles' system this season. There's no way the Jets are going to pay Brick $17 million next season. If they even contemplate it, they should all be locked up in Bellevue. That's why it's imperative imo that the Jets find Brick's successor in the draft this year. He certainly won't be found in FA next year even if the Jets had the cap space. I doubt Brick would take a huge pay cut. You don't want a rookie protecting your QBs blind side, and even if you did, the Jets would probably have to give up a ton of draft picks to move up high enough to get the LT prospect they want in next year's draft. Therefore, they HAVE to get him in this draft if there is one they like. If not, we could be screwed and either have to bite the bullet and pay Brick or go with a stopgap journeyman LT, but either would have the Jets' starting QB running for his life much of the time.

6. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

7. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

They are basing their estimates on a website that doesn't have all the facts, same with the Hasty poster making claims about the cap. I don't think anyone here (or in the Jets media) can say definitively that there is or isn't enough room to sign him. It's all speculation based on undetailed data

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You mean the Hasty poster that used links to support his numbers?

Is that the poster you are talking about?

You want detailed data?

Here you go:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

The only contracts not included are Cromartie, Brewer, and Vickerson.

Before pointing fingers be sure to get your facts straight!!!!!

9. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Apparently we have 13 million left which is a good place to be. You want to have some flexiblity.

This allows the flexibility to extend Mo Wilkerson, to sign our draft picks, or to even acquire a big name (like Phillip Rivers) in a trade for the No. 6 overall pick in the draft. A sign that the Jets want to trade back could be the fact that they are staying steady right now at 13 million in cap space...as if anticipating to make a big move.

10. zombo

zombo Member

Most players recognize it's a business. If Mo gets franchised and an extension is being negotiated he has no reason to be upset since he knows a long term deal is imminent.

11. Charlie Kelly

Yea but in the back of his mind every single time he takes the field he will be thinking that if he has a significant injury it will destroy his chances at a big payday and that will definitely affect his performance

12. Charlie Kelly

*hangs head in shame*

James Hasty likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Even though they may recognize that it's a business doesn't mean that they like being put on hold, exposed to risk, or not shown respect and appreciation by locking them up early on in the process. Also, because it is a business, it means the team should show their priorities are in the right place and re-sign the player. If the team respects and appreciates the player, it should show that and the agents and player should then appreciate, negotiate in good faith and agree to a reasonable deal. It's only because of greed/cheapness, egos and posturing (on both sides), that some of these negotiations drag out.

If I'm a player of Mo's caliber and my team hasn't shown every desire to sign me long term and made a serious attempt at negotiations heading into my last year, I would be upset. I've played at a high level, done everything asked of me, been a great citizen and teammate, and have proven myself and my worth to the team. I wouldn't want the franchise tag, not only for the reasons that Charlie gave, but even if I wasn't seriously injured, I could be nicked up with ticky-tack injuries all season that could really hamper my play and production, then the team could try to lowball me because of less production/poorer stats. If I was franchised, that would be it. I'd never re-sign with that team unless there were extenuating circumstances on the team that prevented them from re-signing me earlier, and even then, they'd have to make it up to me. I don't think I'm anywhere near alone in that thinking, either.

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

pump the breaks... harris is one of the best blitzing ILB in the NFL? not a chance. if anything its a bit of a weakness. and yeah he is solid vs the run, most ILB/MLBs are. he is also horrendous is coverage.

Harris wouldnt get anywhere near half of what we offered from another team. maybe he would 4 years ago. but not now. ILB isnt a really valued position around the league, and its nto liek he is an elite cover guy to warrant it

15. jerseyjay14

foote has been a better player vs the pass though. thats always been his thing. he highlighted what foote did well, he didnt turn foote into a different player. harris doesnt have those strengths

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I can't name too many ILB that are shut-down run stuffers AND great in drop back pass coverage. Usually in a 3-4 the 2 inside LBs share the responsibility....one guy patrols the middle and stuffs the run (you know, LINE backer), the other guy blitzes and picks up the TE. The difference between the two is about 8 years, 30 pounds, a .5 seconds off their 40 time

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Cromartie's contract has been added!

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

Not counting Brewer, Hilliard, and Vickerson we now have $9,699,968 of cap space (including dead money) before adding our draft class for 2015.

If we stay put in the draft the cost for each pick is as follows:

first (6) $$3,002,182
    second (37 ) $985,153
    third (70) $602,182
    Remaining picks will be paid less than the 51st player (only bonuses will count against the cap)

The following player salaries will come off once our three remaining free agent pickups have been added:

Zach Sudfeld $585,000
    Shaquille Evans $435,000
    IK Inemkpa;i $510,000

Our draft picks will take the remaining players off of our cap:

Ryan Quigley $585,000
    Daryl Richardson $585,000
    Matt Simms $585,000

Net cap hit for draft class $4,589,517 - $1,755,000 = $2,834,517

Our cap including the draft class before Brewer, Hilliard, and Vickerson should be $6,865,451

18. Charlie Kelly

Add DE Bowen to the players not included

James Hasty likes this.
  19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Don't forget that drafting Fowler or Beasley will allow us to cut Pace or Babin which should clear a little room

20. jerseyjay14

i never said he had to be great in pass coverage. but id settle for not being a liability. and if you make patrick willis type money, you should be at least solid at both, if not very good at both.