2014-15 NCAA Basketball Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by nyjunc, Aug 29, 2014.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Forget about his age. Look at the opportunities he has had. Shouldn't he have more composite post-season success given those opportunities?

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

If Jay Wright is fired by Villanova, then I hope St Johns is all up in that.

Seriously though...You don't fire Jay Wright. He is the one person that makes Villanova relevant in collegiate athletics.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You have a coach with a very high floor, always has you in contention, has you nationally relevant, runs a clean program as you say and gives you years like this year where you finish as a top seed. You should be very happy. Not too many programs out there can say they have all of that.

If being the modern day Lute Olson is a knock on Jay Wright than you should be overjoyed.

As far as the NCAA tournament- we are talking about singular games. Anything can happen on a given night, especially when your team doesn't shoot well, like the other night. I don't think Nova lost to the better team, their shots weren't falling and they still had a chance to win/would've won if that kid hit that 3 to take the lead late.

Boeheim was overrated because he traditionally loaded up on creampuffs in the OOC, entered conference play at 12-1 (ish) and went .500 in conference play. Finishing with 20+ wins every year with that model. That's not the case with Wright/Nova as far as I can tell. But even Boeheim was able to get over that hump because he landed a Carmelo Anthony, Olson was able to get over the hump as well eventually, and Jay Wright if he continues doing what he is doing, will get over the hump as well.

Nova would be silly to consider dumping Wright IMO. The consistency would be gone and once that happens who knows where you could end up. There's not a whole lot of difference between Nova & St. John's for example, you think they wouldn't kill to have Jay Wright & his consistency there? how about at providence? how about at Boston College? Seton Hall? These are all programs that are similar, and Nova is one bad hiring away from toiling in similar mediocrity like these places have had after making similar mistakes in hiring coaches...

Adjusting to win in the tournament when you are already a good program is much easier than adjusting to win consistantly when you don't have a top program/coach. Now Nova could hit another home run in replacing Wright, but I wouldn't take those chances and would rely on option 1.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

He is getting talent but if you compare what UNLV has been getting vs Wright than Wright is absolutely overachieving, Rice in the last 4 years has had 4 5 star players, and 5 4 star players yet the guy won 18 freaking games this year in a bad Mountain West.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

LOL see the post right above you...We think alike

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

my standards are Carolina standards. all time great program where the fans are up in arms over Roy not making a FF since 2009. there are fans that want Roy fired- seriously. each set of circumstances is different. "Nova is not an all time great program, they are a very good program that has a FF caliber team every so often. he has brought you to one and close to others. I wouldn't want him gone if I was a 'Nova fan.

7. HackettSuxTNG

Again, I do NOT WANT to fire him. With him has head coach, I have zero stress about scandals, controversies, or distractions tarnishing my Alma-Mater. That being said, shoudl I not be frustrated with his lack of March success? Great quote from an article I read:

"It's difficult to grasp how a team that is 62-8 in the last two years, a run that has included back-to-back regular-season titles and the program's first tournament championship in 20 years in the Big East continues to disappoint when the lights are the brightest."

8. HackettSuxTNG

Great, I will continue to be a laughingstock in March.

Villanova let NC State dominate them physically, and refused to adjust to meet their physical play. That is an indictment of poor coaching.

What from his track record supports this?

Again, I do NOT want to fire Jay Wright, but what he is doing right now simply is NOT working. Can't we agree on that?

You're making an assumption that Wright is capable of making adjustments, when there is little evidence to support that he can.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is difficult to grasp that- which is a reason why you shouldn't worry about the future with Wright. The early exits aren't the norm for teams that play like that.

They have the same problems in Virginia but they are overjoyed with Bennett there

10. HackettSuxTNG

Forget All-time history. You're thinking too broadly. Given the teams Jay Wright has had since his last Sweet Sixteen experience, shouldn't he have more results to show for himself than he has?

11. nyjunc

Jay Wright took over in 2001-2002 season at 'Nova(14 seasons).

'Nova won title in 1985, from 1986-2001(16 seasons) they won 7 tournament games, reached 1 sweet 16, reached zero elite 8s. Since Wright took over in 2002 they have won 13 tourney games, reached a FF, reached 2 elite 8s, 4 Sweet 16s.

12. HackettSuxTNG

Six straight years of NCAA Tournament failure doesn't qualify as the Norm?

13. nyjunc

did you forget about the phone car scandal?

14. HackettSuxTNG

You know, one of the most frustrating things about discussing anything with you is that you never answer questions directly. Let's try again:

Given the teams Jay Wright has had since his last Sweet Sixteen experience, shouldn't he have more results to show for himself than he has?

15. nyjunc

he has not had any great teams but he should have a few more wins.

16. HackettSuxTNG

17. HackettSuxTNG

Be more specific. What was a realistic expectation for the talent he has had since 2009.

18. nyjunc

I deal in reality, right now you are emotional after the loss. I try to take emotion out of it. He's a very good coach who has done a very good job at 'Nova. he has never had a big time talented team that was a no brainer for a FF. this year was a little inflated due to playing in an overrated conference. In reality they shouldn't have been a 1 seed but their resume was 1 worthy.

19. nyjunc

20. HackettSuxTNG

Again, be specific. What would be a reasonable expectation given the talent he has had since 2009?