Ryan Fitzpatrick By the Numbers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 16, 2015.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying that Fitz has proven to be average at best and that can be the only reasonable expectation.

Geno is only going into his third year and it us reasonable to believe he could improve to an average QB. But even if he doesn't he has shown he can equate to the same amount of victories as an average QB like Fitz, 6-8 wins.

2. JetBlue

Fitz has a career 33-55 record as a starter -- that's 5.5 wins for every 16 games. Being an average upgrade doesn't equate to meaningful success with Fitz and there is no reasonable reason to believe that will change. He's had enough time in the league to show he is better than that. A bad Geno has shown he can win 4-8 games; there is no meaningful difference between an average Fitz and a bad Geno. I'm not sure why this is confusing.

Fitz's sample size is enough to draw that conclusion. Geno's sample size leads him to still be an unknown, but taking it at face value there is no difference between the two.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The tail end of your argument assumes that the QB is the only factor in the W/L record of a team which is very simplistic and wrong.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The continuing insanity here of people seeing team won-lost percentage as a Qb stat is just plain obnoxious, it is so f'ing stupid.

You can do better than that, Blue. Or maybe you're just having a rough day.

5. Big Blocker

There's a scene in the film Patton where Patton says before a battle that he wished instead of the battle that he would square off by himself against Rommel, in a sort of jousting session like two knights, and whoever won that would be awarded the win of the battle, in so many words.

Some here seem to think a football game is really only played between the opposing Qb's, as if no one else on the field makes a difference. Sounds weird if you actually watch the games and see how they are played, but perhaps those who think that way are not actually watching football.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

no that's just the first step to Geno's coming out party during the season. Sorry for believing in a player on my team. If a better option comes along im all for a change. but as a long time WVU fan I know for a fact we haven't seen the best of Eugene yet

7. Big Blocker

You see I am a Jet fan, not a Smith Fan, and certainly not WVU fan. But thanks for clarifying where your Smith slobbering is coming from.

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I hope he makes us all happy.

9. JetBlue

Fitz has a.356 winning percentage with 88 games as a starter; the insanity is trying to argue over that significant sample size that his win-loss record isn't indicative of his contribution to the team and ability.

legler82 likes this.
  10. Big Blocker

Team won loss percentage is not a Qb stat. You can argue it is all you want, but you would be wrong.

Plus the irrelevance of such number is heightened by the way that you base it on his entire career. In his most recent year his team went 6-6 in games he started. Explain to me why we should look to include losses that were years previous. Why shouldn't his record in Houston be a better indicator of how he will do in the coming season than numbers from his entire career?

max likes this.
  11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If he finishes the season with more TDs than TOs but said TOs come a crucial points of games which leads to us snatching losses from the jaws of victory, would you take that?

12. legler82

[​IMG]

TheJetLife likes this.
  13. legler82

Preach!!! This isn't fantasy football.

nyjunc likes this.
  14. JetBlue

That is as asinine as arguing a baseball player with a career .239 batting average who goes 4-4 in his last game of his career shouldn't be judged on his past .200 batting average and his final 1.00 batting average should be how he is evaluated.

Sure, career stats don't matter in evaluating an athlete, let's just cherry pick only the stats that validate our argument.

Win-Loss are used as a QB stat; you may not like it but it is. Maybe passing TD's shouldn't be QB stats either because the QB doesn't complete them in isolation. They require the line to block, receivers to run the routes and coaches devising quality plays. That sounds like a team stat to me.

All stats are team stats if you want to take that position because no stat is achieved by the single player in isolation.

legler82 likes this.
  15. JetBlue

Geno had a perfect QB rating his final game; he must be one of the best QBs in the league because why should all the games prior to that be given greater weight than his last game?

16. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

Since Farve...Sanchez, Clemens, McElroy, Smith and Vick have started. Who's the best option there?

17. Big Blocker

You are being purposely obtuse and you know it. You are arguing, as you did in your next post, in effect, that we should discount Smith's poor first years on the hope that he will get better. Fitzpatrick's teams did better in recent years on team won loss percentage. So why should you emphasize or even give equal emphasis to those earlier years in his career? And it is obviously a ridiculous comparison to view a baseball player's single game performance to a football team's season record. Same for Smith in one game.

But let's be clear - imho, someone who sees team won loss percentage as a Qb stat doesnt know the game of football.

18. legler82

Sadly, I think it's very possible and this is coming from one of the biggest Geno detractors on this board. The winner will less be about COMP% and TD/INT ratio but more about who can suppress their gun slinger mentality the best and manage the game. In 10 seasons, Fitz has yet to prove he can do that in a consistent basis. This is why I find the Alex Smith comparisons unfounded. The trait that makes Alex Smith a game manager is his cautiousness. Fitz is book smart but NOT football cautious. Geno, despite his litany of issues, did show the ability to simply manage the game in stretches of 2013 and play complimentary football. You are more likely to be able to muzzle a younger player's game than that of a 10 year vet with some relative statistical success playing it his way.

#78 legler82, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  19. legler82

I'd take Sanchez over Fitz any day of the week and twice on Sundays as long as we are talking about real football and NOT fantasy. If the latter, then Fitz would be my guy.

nyjunc likes this.
  20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

let's throw out early years. since 2010 he has gone 25-41, 38%
    Geno through 2 years is 11-18, 38%

most wins in a season: Fitz 6 Geno 8