Ryan Fitzpatrick By the Numbers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 16, 2015.

1. BigJenks

BigJenks Active Member

Jets fans are rediculous. Fitz on this team with the weapons on this years team is the best qb option we've had since Farve. If he starts, he will be more the adequate paired with our defense. Geno might work out well under the new roster and system too. So tired of the constant whining and unrealistic outlooks. He's on our team and is the type of qb a defensive based team can win games with. I for one and thankful we got him. I think he was the top qb option available to us pre-draft. We are going to be so much more competitve this year.

jxc likes this.
  2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

[​IMG]

legler82 likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

throwing over 60% accuracy, running well when needed, and a very good TD to INT ratio.
    that is clearly better than anything we've had in quite some time.

the only thing that concerns me about Fitzpatrick are the INT's.
    he's got the gunslinger attitude without the rifle to back it up. can get him in trouble at times.
    if he can keep that positive TD:INT ratio he had going last season, we'll have the first QB effective at managing a game in over 6 years.

use that brain and protect the ball Ryan, and the starting position will be yours.

jxc likes this.
  4. nyjunc

#s tell part of the story, he's a good bad team QB. he's not a guy a team is winning with.

legler82 likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If he gives us above 60% and more TD's than INT's, I'd be happy.

6. nyjunc

if he has us in playoff contention I will be happy, I don't care what his individual #s look like.

NY Jets68 and legler82 like this.
  7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand and mostly agree with this pov,with two additional points. First is that Fitz is not likely to be a medium to long term solution. Yes I like the signing given what the alternatives were. But he likely has a ceiling not much higher than he showed in Houston, and that is not high enough to stand pat at Qb when one also considers his age. He's in short a hold the fort guy.

Second is more subtle, and that is that we don't know if the lower int to Td ratio in his last couple are going to stick on a going forward basis, or will he return to making too many turnovers. But on this point it's unlikely he will ever sink to Smith's awful level, so by comparison he's a solid upgrade.

8. BacktoQueens

if he's a good bad team QB, why can't he be an even better good team QB?

he's never had a defense like this, or even this level of talent around him.
    he'll be asked to do less, while being given more.

you can't definitively say he's not a guy you can win with, when we've never actually seen him in a favorable situation to win.

Houston was a slight step up in terms of previous team talent, and he did respond with a step up in his own production.
    it's possible he can do the same here.

9. Professor

Professor Active Member

Average is better than poor, which is what we've had the last 5 years. That said, he doesn't excite me one bit. The only way he gets me excited is if he starts, keeps a 2-1 td/int ratio and keeps us ahead of the playoff hunt. Not likely.

10. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Can we get a comparison of those number compared to NYJ a quarterbacks in the same time frame?

11. nyjunc

he was on a decent Buf team, when the team was expected top win he played his worst. he is one of those guys that can play w/o pressure to win.

12. nyjunc

the only #s that matter are wins and losses and plays made to help a team win.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but TDs and completions and yards aren't plays made to help a team win... unless of course the team DOES win

14. nyjunc

they may be, we don't know by looking at a stat sheet. if a team is down 30-3 and a guy throws 3 TDs does that really mean anything? week 1 2012 comes to mind. we led 41-7 then he threw 3 TDs. looking on paper 3 TDs and leading a team to 28 pts sounds great but it was terrible.

15. BacktoQueens

There was never a good Buff team he played on, nor 'pressure' to do anything special.

he'll only be expected to manage a game here, which can make for an effective stop gap situation for both him and us..

16. nyjunc

they were expecting a playoff run in 2011. They started out 4-1 including beating the 14-2 Pats for the first time since 2003. they were 5-3 playing us at home in what was a big game for them at the time to pass us and get in good playoff position and we throttled them.

17. BacktoQueens

yes, because they weren't a good team.

18. nyjunc

if they got better QB play they could have been a good team. Trust me- he's not a good QB. He's a solid backup and nothing more, you aren't winning anything w/ Ryan Fitzpatrick.

19. BacktoQueens

Winning is not just a function of QB.
    thinking it is a QB stat is where you've been fundamentally wrong on every QB i've seen you attempt to evaluate on this board.

I'm not claiming Fitz is a good QB.
    I'm looking at him as potentially an avg QB who can effectively manage a game while we search for a longer term answer at the position.
    that's something we have not had in a long time. considering the growth on other areas of this team, we can be competitive with a game mgr.

Big Blocker likes this.
  20. nyjunc

I know QBs better than most. average fans use fantasy #s, it's about much more than that. Fitz had the talent to win and failed, if he was QBing the 2012 Jets then I'd cut him some slack. The QBs job is to win, I do not get impressed by guys putting up #s in garbage time. that means nothing to me.

he's not a potentially good QB, he's at best an average backup QB. if you are expecting anything more you should probably dial back the expectations. if we are going to do anything it is IF(a HUGE IF) Geno vastly improves.