So, how much cap space do we have at the moment?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets4eva9011, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Agree, the Jets have done a poor job in years past of keeping home grown talent in house and it has hurt them, Mo should be the beginning of a new era of doing things the right way aka drafting talented players and jerking them through their glory years, there is no reason why we should be paying children's games with Mo and his agent, he is a hugely talented player and has been a real professional (people need to stop obsessing over that ejection, he was frustrated and rightfully so) and should be rewarded as such

2. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

really? his teammates expect him to be rewarded? Nick Folk gonna start shanking field goals because Mo was extended. I agree that he should be extended, but this idea that it has wider reverberations throughout the team I'm really skeptical of.

3. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

They are human beings, they gossip and backbite like people in any other walk of life. Morale for a professional football team isn't just limited to on field activities and if you think players don't compare notes about how they are treated by the FO then I'm not sure what to tell you

Good performance in any workplace should be rewarded and when it isn't everyone takes notice

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If you're truly skeptical, then it shows that you haven't been paying attention. Richardson has already spoken out and said that Mo deserves to get paid. Other player see that and think, "Man if they don't respect Mo and are putting him off and jerking him around, what are they gonna do with me?" It creates a bad atmosphere. I've seen it time and time again in tne NFL over the last 40 years. I've seen direct quotes from players that indicate that things like that make them decide not to even try to re-sign with the team and also it can make FAs hesitant about signing with the team if they know they're not going to be respected, appreciated and treated fairly.

5. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

Well, first, that's a silly and baseless personal accusation to levy against me. Second, sure Richardson has supported Mo getting paid, but what evidence is their that Mo's contract has harmed Richardson's play? Played pretty well last year, and the year before that.

6. NCJetsfan

It wasn't an accusation, just an observation. Anyone who has watched in the NFL for any length of time and done any reading at all has read/heard players make comments like that and sportswriters and announcers have too. Feeling defensive much?

Where did I say anything about it affecting Richardson's play? Thing is, I didn't. Perhaps you need to read what I wrote more slowly or if you're one of those posters who drinks when he reads and posts, maybe put the drink down. I said it affected players attitudes towards the team and whether they wanted to remain with that team when their contract was up, or if they wanted to give the team a home town discount. I said nothing about it affecting their play.

7. wisewolf

wisewolf Active Member

Yikes, I'm going to take the high road on this one. Cheers mate.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It is really a two way street.

First we overpaid to keep Sanchez, Holmes, Revis, Mangold, Harris, etc.

Second came cap hell when our players got older and we had no money to fill holes.

Third we had to cut players loose or not resign our own free agents.

Considering that we paid Harris (twice), Mangold, Brick and brought back Revis (hopefully Cro too) I would say we have not done such a bad job of keeping our guys.

The fact that a lot of our draft pick were not retained due to very poor play on the field (Kyle Wilson, Vernon Gholsten, etc.) should not be seen as being disloyal.

9. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

According to "over the cap" and Sportrac As of 7am march 12:

OTC: 137/133
    Sportrac: 138/134

(these figs include about 6 for draft)

Carpenters # not included yet.

We have 156 total--so if carpenter 5, we're left with about:

14/18

What does it matter "top 51" versus overall?

10. James Hasty

Only the top 51 players count against the salary cap.

The other players are free for cap purposes.

IDFjet likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The real fact of the matter with Mo's contract is that he will now use as a baseline for negotiation numbers from JJ Watts and Suh. Not saying that he would get that much but the market is driving his value way up. This year is not ideal to negotiate a contract with yearly values in the mid 8 digits. Next year will be a come to Jesus year for a few players, some on the decline like Brick and some on the upswing like Mo.
    Will be interesting to see if the Jets will go all out to retain him, and if so what other adjustments willbe made. Let us hope above all we do have our future QB on board by then.

12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Not fair to the Jets to think Wilk's negotiations are the benchmark for determining whether the Jets pay their own. Nobody knows what kind of money Wilk is asking for. Given the market for DT's, he could be asking for a kings ransom. The Jets might determine he isnt worth that amount, or given they just revitalized their backfield maybe they can get by with snacks, sheldon and coples. Its a business. The main thing is the Jets need to win. Nobody criticizes the Pats for jettisoning their key players in their twilight years.

LAJet likes this.
  13. James Hasty

If Wilk wants Revis money and is not budging we would be wise to trade him for picks / players and sign Fairley.

14. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

MSUJet85 and IDFjet like this.
  15. James Hasty

Now that we have used up most of the cap space the $2 mil we are giving Powell this year seems excessive.

16. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

I think people are not realizing just how much cap space we really have. Sure it is not $50 million any longer, but all the contracts are pay as you go contracts, without back loaded contracts or planned dead money, which means not only will we have tons of flexibility this year but also lots of room next year and the year after.

17. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think Cumberland is the fat to cut here.

James Hasty likes this.
  18. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That is still more than enough for a safety and Cro

19. NCJetsfan

Yeah, right. Whatever. You're the noob on this site who immediately took a condescending and combative tone towards posters, have a name like "wisewolf" like you're smarter than the rest, and tried to twist my words. What I commented on is common knowledge yet you acted like it was something unheard of. You can dish it out, but can't take it. Got you.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

8-8/9-7. Cap problems in a couple of years. Vets dropping out due to age. 4-12 in the near future.