Connor Hughes: Jets Officially Agree to Bring Cro Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 10, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know that he's not dumb, but I'm starting to think that the Jets have reached an impasse with Mo and Mac knows that he won't be able to re-sign him. If it's true that we only have $20 million in cap space left, and it will take $7 - $8 million to sign our draft picks, that leaves at most $13 million in cap space. I doubt that's enough to sign Mo. With the Jets in contract negotiations with Cro and Gilchrist coming in tomorrow, and the Jets sign both, that's probably another $8-$10 million in cap space gone. How are they going to pay Mo?

As for no good FA QBs, that's generally true, but the Jets can't just hand the starting job to Geno. They need to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore to at least compete with Geno and either start or serve as his backup.

#81 NCJetsfan, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Don't the Jets also have a fair amount of space in next season's cap? I'm not advocating that they push off negotiations but the franchise tag exists for a reason. I'm also not advocating a huge FT number for 2016, but depending on what moves are made to get this team competitive this year, Mo may not be a realistic signing for 2015

3. NCJetsfan

I think that would set a BAD precedent, send the wrong message to Jets players who have been here, and would result in Mo leaving.

4. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

Hopefully the cap goes up. Also Brick is likely cap casualty next offseason. Still concerning though.

5. bnots13

bnots13 Active Member

It's not as if Mo's making peanuts. He's due around 7 M I believe this year.

6. NCJetsfan

True, but I know that some other Jets players are on record for having said that Mo deserves to be paid, and maybe Mo himself. IMO that should have been the #1 priority for this off season. I don't think it's wise of Mac if he pushed it off to next year, and may be a sign that's he's too aggressive and perhaps too much like Tannenbaum. Think about it...you've been playing for the Jets and deserving a contract extension/raise, and instead the Jets use up almost $60 million in cap space bringing in new players rather than giving you what you want and deserve. They could have paid Mo, been less aggressive in FA, and taken a little longer to build the team.

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree, I'd like to see them lock up Mo for a long term, richly deserved deal. They still have money left under the cap, and if its a long term deal, I'm sure it can be structured so that the cap hit is small enough in the first (this) year to make it all work out if both sides are so inclined.

8. Charlie Kelly

I agree with the utopian aspect of your thoughts but that doesn't always work out. I'm guessing that if the Jets still haven't found a QB by FA next season that Mo will be compensated multi year and well. Teams that have no answer at QB don't struggle to sign elite players that much.

Let's hope we have a QB situation that makes Mo a problem.

9. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

There it is folks, the never ending cycle of unhappy Jet fans

Falco21 likes this.
  10. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

How about we worry about Mo not throwing a punch in a game that completely turned the season and laughing about it after.

11. Charlie Kelly

Don't forget to shit yourself tomorrow when the team doesn't sign a player right at the moment you expected them to. Ludicrous that you are actually trying to joke on people about cap concerns when you have been shitting yourself for three days for no logical reason.

12. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

LOL
    Sorry buddy, not looking for a boyfriend, go suck someone's dick.
    BLOCKED

13. Charlie Kelly

Gotta be happy for the little things sometimes lol

14. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Revis will be the #1, Cro could be our #2, and Skrine could be be our main slot receiver. Milliner and McDougle would get a little playing time, but I don't trust either of them to stay healthy. If we can get Cro on a reasonable deal, without screwing up the salary cap too much, we should go for it. I'm not sure what the salary cap situation looks like because OTC hasn't added the latest contracts to the website yet.

I don't know how much cap space we'll have left after the recent flurry of contracts, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only have enough cap space left to sign the new class of rookies (which will take about $5m.) We ca get more cap space by restructuring Brick and/or Mangold, but it would be better if we didn't have to.

My guess is that the rest of our free agency will be quieter for us; we may still have enough money to sign Cro if he comes cheaply; and we will get a little more space by cutting some older vets like Calvin Pace and/or Jason Babin. (I like Pace, but he's 34.) But that's okay - it looks like the Jets got much better this offseason, and that's something to be excited about.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  15. Charlie Kelly

That we could have Revis and Cro with Skrine in the slot and still have Milliner and McDougal as depth just amazes me, that would be the deepest corner situation in the league. The real question is at safety but Pryor would be in the box all day so who is center field?

That really does matter in a division with killer tight ends.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If they don't sign anybody: Antonio Allen? Or do they bring Landry back?
    They're accumulating a lot of guys. Gonna be interesting to see Bowles' plan unfold

17. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

18. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Cro wants a 3-4 year deal, and the Jets want a 1-2 year deal.

PS. Imagine if Rex Ryan was the coach with all these corners? LOL, he'd be in heaven.

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Jarrett could play FS if needed.
    You can trust Revis with one half of field, taking a heavy burden off the S.
    instead of Cover 1 responsibilities on the entire deep field, you can focus him to one side.

I'd still draft a guy with FS abilities, and would consider re-signing Landry to lead and compete with Pryor..
    no guaranteed starting spots.

Allen i like for 3 S sets...playing almost like a LB and jamming TE's..

as much as i'd like Cro back too, might prefer value spending on TE, RT, and re-signing Mo and some more of our own.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Incredible. Maccagnan is just killing it.

Can we trade Milliner or anyone else that may have value but is young?