The Eagles want the Jets' pick if Mariota falls to No. 6

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NJJ_Jersey_Jets, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

I somewhat agree with your last statement, but it matters how that person was humbled. On the field ? Sure. Being that deceitful in trade negotiations ? that's much different in my opinion.

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I never said there wasn't a chance Mariota would go before Winston. I have said that if a team is sold on Mariota they should draft him. If they aren't totally sold on him they should listen to offers for him. It's that simple. If a team is as sold on him as you are they should draft him. Their assessment may be wrong or it may be right, only time will tell one way or the other.

You do say that by saying I'm wrong that you're in essence guaranteeing you're viewpoint, right? I have never said that I don't think Mariota can be an elite QB, I have said that I'm not sold on him being one though.

As usual you're nothing but hyperbole and misdirection. Lawyerspeak through and through.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The argument has nothing to do with how long the QB was in the league, it has to do with their making a bad team good upon starting.

You just listed completely irrelevant facts to that argument.

The Pats went from 5-10 to Super Bowl champs upon Brady taking over. No amount of minimizing Brady's impact on that changes the obvious impact he had.

The rams went from 4-12 to Super Bowl champs when Kurt Warner took over. You look like a fool again trying to minimize that fact.

Drew Bree's turned a 3 win saints team to a 10 win team his first year. Keep up with history here, will you.

Pitt went from 6-10 to 15-1 but sure Big Ben was irrelevant to that.

The argument has nothing to do with whether the QB has to shoulder the entire load, just that a good QB can turn around a team. A QB is never irrelevant to the success or failure of a team and your attempt to negate the impacts these obvious great QBs had on their teams their first seasons, which history has proven their contributed value, is embarrassing for you.

You are just grasping to try and defend a position that has been successfully disputed.

Brook! likes this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Anyone here who doesn't like the idea of drafting Mariota but who liked the thought of Tebow (and his 'ncaa-level arm') running their offense? Anyone? ...c'mon you know who you are.... :D

[​IMG]

You can plug in all those 'not guaranteed' extra 1st and 2nd round picks you'd receive should a Jets-Eagles trade ever come about, but while your roster (assuming you actually hit on those picks) has improved, if you're still lacking at THE most important position, the position that makes it all tick, you'll still end up a 9-7 wildcard wannabe at best. On the other hand, while no draft selection is a guarantee, should you 'hit' on the QB position, suddenly it's a whole new ballgame: with a Bowles defense on the other side of the ball, your offense balances out your team and you're on the road to 10-6 records and more, that is, there will be days the defense won't bring their 'A' game and where the 'O' picks up the slack for them.

How many times has the Jets 'D' been called out for not closing out a game (e.g. Atlanta '09) while ignoring the fact that often times they had little margin to work with in the first place because the offense hadn't put any distance on their opponents during the first 3 quarters of the game while the defense was more than doing their share? Again, Mariota is not a guarantee---nobody is a guarantee--but, given this kid's physical and mental tools, the upside potential is clearly there and with that there's an increase in the possibility that the Jets and their fanbase could end up wondering "why another one got away" years from now when the opportunity to address the QB position presented itself at the time.

How many teams (for whatever their reasons) passed on a Marino let alone a Brady and ended up kicking themselves for it?

You've got to go for it. People who are too wary of missing on a 1st round pick when it involves a QB might want to look at it from the other side: passing on what ends up a franchise QB has even greater impacts. Draft him, develop (don't rush) him and don't look back. jm2cts.

#424 joe, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    NCJetsfan, BrowningNagle and Brook! like this.
  5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'm not "guaranteeing" anything. I'm hoping and praying and begging. I have (i) no idea what the Jets are going to do, (ii) I can't effect what the Jets are going to do and (iii) I can't compensate anyone if what I hope to happen doesn't happen.

I'm not guaranteeing that you're wrong, I'm just hoping you are.

_

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. 1968jetsfan

You know Stokes, when you don't have a valid argument you resort to mud slinging, that's all you've done the last several posts. You're the spoiled child who if he doesn't get his way has a temper tantrum.

The worst I've said about Mariota is that when compared to this years and class and Luck's class that he would most likely be considered the 4th best regarded QB...that's not condemning in any way shape and or form.
    I do have valid reasons to be concenred about Mariota's transition to the NFL though, the track record of QB's coming from that type of system in to the NFL is very barren and cluttered with talented QB's who never made the transition.

I have my doubts about Mariota making the transition, I make no secret about that. But unlike you make it seem, i would have no problem with the Jets drafting him at #6 IF they feel he's the guy. I don't know how they feel about him, I can only speak what I, and some others, feel about it. In the end it's just our conjecture as to the likelihood of him becoming a good NFL QB and you and I have different feelings on that matter.

are you so insecure in your position on him that you need to mudsling and insinuate things that weren't actually said and nitpick about certain phraseology's in order to divert attention? Childish behavior worthy of a lawyer.

7. JStokes

WTF are you talking about?

All I said was Mariota is every bit a prospect as RG3 and you go off guaranteeing that he's 4th behind Luck and Winston and RG3.

Get off your high horse. You can't guarantee anything.

And I've never once quibbled with your view on whether Mariota can become an elite QB or not. I have no idea. No one does.

Geez relax and choose your words better.

_

8. 1968jetsfan

I never guaranteed anything, I said 'I almost guarantee'. That's like being almost pregnant. It's a statement that stops short of making a guarantee but reinforces my belief that is how it would have been. You would have an argument if I had said 'I guarantee', but I stopped short of that.

You're the one saying I made a guarantee, Namath didn't say 'I almost Guarantee'.

Get off your high horse and nit picking because you aint got crap.

9. JStokes

Oh I've got crap, and I also know when I see it.

Mariota goes before RG3 and possibly Winston.

I'm pretty sure. Can't guarantee that. Not even almost.

_

10. 1968jetsfan

Laugh....You state explicitly and forcefully that mariota goes before RG3 on pure speculation, then hedge yourself on him going before Winston.
    You then go back to the nit picking to make it appear you're not saying what you're really implying.
    The difference between you and me is I can almost guarantee it because my belief is that strong in that is how it would have been, again speculation. But I can't Guarantee it because I have no concrete proof or control of the matter.

You don't need control over something to guarantee it. I can 100% guarantee that if you lift an a football and then release it that it on Earth in a natural environment it will fall to the ground. I have no control over the events, but I can guarantee the result.
    I can Guarantee that if you take the wings off of a traditional airplane that it won't fly, again I have no control over it but I can guarantee the results.

11. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

There goes another thread...

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  12. JStokes

Ahhhh, the old gravity argument. Well done.

You have no idea where RG3 would have gone in a draft and it's all dependent on when and where and you still have no idea if Winston goes before Mariota this year. But you can "almost" guarantee it lol.

Btw, if that football gets swept up by a gust of wind and gets lodged in a tree or that wingless plane is outfitted with a dirigible you have no way of compensating he who you guaranteed.

_

13. 1968jetsfan

Those are circumstances outside of the statements aren't they. If you attach a plane to a dirigible then it's not a plane flying it's a dirigible flying, the plane is being transported by the dirigible.
    For a football to be caught by a gust of wind and carried to a tree it would A) have to be one hell of a wind and B) have to be a severe upward draft beyond any normal phenomenon, that's physics.

As usual you focus on one thing but ignore the context in order to cloud the issue at hand.

You state I have no Idea where RG3 goes? Perhaps...but that's really funny coming from someone who two posts earlier stated emphatically that Mariota would have gone before RG3.

A

14. JStokes

That's my guess, absolutely. I can't guarantee it though. Not even almost.

_

15. roger

roger Active Member

In before the your vs. you're argument.

16. joykilla

joykilla Member

Hard to evaluate what the Jets should do with the Management Turnover that keeps happening. Oh wait Mariota looks good for Gaily now, but how long will he be with the team. What is to stop woody from firing everyone again after 2 years when Marcus hasn't shown Promise. I would rather trade back, take the picks and fix the oline which is coming soon with Mangold and Brick slowing down.

17. 1968jetsfan

In that case you're not secure in your guess.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And if the picks are all busts like 15 or 16 of the 19 have been (or is it more?), then what?

19. JStokes

Pretty secure. But I couldn't guarantee it.

_

20. JStokes

I think that's a very valid question. Some folks insist that if Mariota isn't a "sure" thing, better to get more picks in hopes of landing a few "sure things".

But if MM becomes a sure thing, then the upside is geometrically superior to getting "sure things" at maybe 2 other positions.

If MM doesn't become elite but merely really good--he's still a better bet because you have no idea what you're getting with those extra picks. Could be Jordan Matthews. Could be Jalen Saunders. Could be John Hannah. Could be Vlad Ducasse.

_