If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

That's going a bit far. Winston definitely played through some adversity throughout the year as FSU were in some close games. I wouldn't say that Mariota folded like a cheap tent against OSU. He handled the pressure and showed heart. He just couldn't make the throws/plays necessary to win.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What we saw out of Mariota in the OSU game is a very good hint of what his early NFL experience will be like. Even in Chip Kelly's offense he's going to have to deal with the fact that most defenses have 9 players that are bigger, faster and smarter than anything he saw in college. It's a big difference when you face defenses where the average player is as good as the stars were in college.

3. Demosthenes9

I agree.

4. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Mariota was the only reason Oregon didnt lose that game by 50...the playcalling was horrendous and conservative and the defense made Ezekiel Elliott look like Bo Jackson

Rockinz and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. Demosthenes9

Agreed in some extent. That said, there were plays to be made and Mariota (as well as others) didn't make them. Yes, there were drops by wide open receivers. But there were also passes to wide open receivers that Mariota couldn't pull off. Passes that are routine in the NFL.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

OSU's four turnovers were the reason they didn't win by 50...

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

If anything... Marshall can make him look good!

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

What are you chuckling about?

Oregon scored early.

OSU led 14-7

21-7.

Had 136 rushing yards before the half...(with 2 turnovers)

Oregon hit a big play after the THIRD turnover

21-17...

21-20..after another turnover...

28-20 end of the third, 12 play drive...

Two questions while you are lulz...ing...

what was the final score of that game, and didn't Elliot set a national championship rushing record in it.

Being a dick, is...acceptable. being ignorant...not so much.

4 turnovers, and that game was never in question. If you want to hang off Mariota's sack, have at it.

that game was a joke.

10. Dunnie

Dunnie Member

I agree MM looked like ass against OSU .... but the entire offense looked unprepared in that game. still no excuse.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people need to see the Oregon st RIVALRY game before passing judgement on Mariota.

12. JStokes

lulz

_

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think you can put that game entirely on Mariota - he showed some toughness out there - I think they should have been more aggressive getting the ball down the field. However with OSU dominating Oregon at the LOS - the line wouldn't have given the QB enough time to make a that throw down-field.

That said, Oregon had several opportunities in the RZ to make a play and well they couldn't get 7. That's when you need to win in the pocket - if you can't do that, you won't last in the NFL.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I think we should trade the House for Winston, just about trade the House for Mariota, grab MM or Winston at 6 if they somehow fall to us with both hands. Make some earth shattering bold moves to propel this godforsaken joke of a franchise forward.

We need a talented Franchise QB.

Fill the rest of the team holes in FA and in the Draft ( we have plenty of money).

15. Br4d

Think about this though. Mariota has not proven in any way that he can function in a normal NFL offense. In fact the indicators are that he is an average talent in that type of offense at best. He's not a Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning or even a Matt Ryan level talent in terms of what he has shown.

What he has shown is that he is a brilliant technician in running Oregon's Spread offense. That's ALL he has shown. He hasn't called plays in the huddle. He hasn't changed plays at the line. He hasn't had to make reads consistently against an adaptive defense after going through his trinary read of ONE defender and ONE condition at the line of scrimmage. All he has had to do is identify where the deep safety is and how many guys are in the box. That is the determinant of what he does with the ball on the majority of Oregon's plays.

He's going to have to do five times as much work at the pro level as he done at Oregon. the odds are that he will not be able to make the jump and become a good player at the NFL level.

Think how good Johnny Manziel looked running his college offense. Think about the numbers Geno put up at WVU. Think about all the Air Raid Qb's of the last decade who could not cut it at the NFL level.

Now, ask yourself what you can quantitatively identify about Mariota that makes him different.

The correct answer is: Nothing.

16. JStokes

Complete and unadulterated horseshit.

_

BigSnacks54 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We need a talented Franchise QB: Answer?

18. Br4d

Step 1: Don't make the problem worse by projecting a guy who has never played in a professional offensive set as likely to excel in said offense.

I don't dispute that the Jets need a franchise QB in the worst way but spending a high draft pick on a spread option QB who played in a carnival offense in college is not the way to go here.

It's completely Jets-like to take Mariota with that pick and then discover that he's not all that once he lands in the NFL and has to start doing a bunch of stuff he never has had to do before.

19. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

The bolded portion of your second Paragraph is completely incorrect and it makes me wonder if you have even watched any Oregon games this season or have an understanding of Chip Kelly's offense. Mariota HAS made changes at the LOS and this was clearly show during the ALL 22 broadcast of the National Championship game on ESPN 2. After changing the play, he made a full field read and completed a post route . And Scott Frost, himself, has said that Mariota changes the OL protection once every seven plays and has the power to change a play change at the line of scrimmage. That's an NFL Throw, and to say he HASN'T shown anything that will translate to the NFL is drivel and lazy analysis on your part. The "Blur" offense contains certain West Coast concepts, such as the Smash Concept, and the HI LO series(crossing routes). These are some concepts that are seen at the pro level and they also require Quarterbacks to go to their first, second, and third reads. He has shown the ability to manipiulate safeties with his shoulders and eyes and this was clearly shown in the Oregon State game.. It's clear that you don't like Marcus Mariota the player, that's fine, but don't make up BS to support your some what flawed argument.

The Odds of ANY prospect not name Andrew Luck suceeding in the NFL are low, that's why they're so few starting caliber Quarterbacks in the league... so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up. BTW, the deep saftey(on few occasions they do, when used as edge support) has very little impact on an inside zone read... the QB is going to read the EDGE and backside defender on an inside zone read and if he crashes the QB will keep the ball, but if he "slow plays "it he will hand it off.

#759 BigSnacks54, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    lockgang likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He's going to need some transition time for the reasons you mentioned.
    I would still sign Matt Moore or Fitzpatrick in FA, even if i were planning on taking Mariota should he be available.
    then would sit Mariota for the year, or until we were out of playoff contention.

in terms of potential, we know he has tremendous physical tools.
    he's got height, hands, a good arm, speed, and athleticism. i like his accuracy, he can throw on the run, and his decision making skills were good with the simpler than NFL reads he had. He also has a very high character and work ethic, and is respected by his teammates and coaches.

those are the things we know.
    what our scouts really need to break down is his tape that is more relevant to the NFL.
    find the plays that were multi-read, when he is positioned in the pocket, etc..
    and just as importantly, test this guy's football IQ with some white board sessions during the interviews.
    find out what type of learner he is..

If his IQ matches his character and physical abilities, i think we'd have something to work with, and potentially something special there.

to your point, he'll need time to adapt, as he hasn't done a lot of the things we'll ask him to do yet.
    but nothing about his abilities or past performances suggest to me he won't be able to make that transition either..