Brandon Marshall to the Je ts, pending physical

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 6, 2015.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because he's better than Harvin, cheaper than Harvin, more reliable than Harvin and it allows us to cut Harvin and only give up a 6th as opposed to a 4th.

chris5533 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Listen, I'm one who almost never likes trading draft picks, but I think this was a great move.

Who are these prime WRs the Jets were going to bring in? Cobb? He's not leaving GB. You can bank on that. Maclin? The Eagles have as much cap space as the Jets. I'll be really surprised if he's not re-signed by the Eagles. He likes it there and wanted to stay there last year. Even if doesn't re-sign there, some team will probably have to over pay for him.

Remember that Mac said he wants to build primarily through the draft, but would use FA to supplement and to address needs. Well, he's filled a huge need for only the 5th round pick. In doing so, he's given the team a legit #1 WR who is great in the red zone, who is a competitor, saved $3 million on the cap and the 4th round draft pick (because that will enable the Jets to cut Harvin), and will give them flexibility going into the draft. They won't feel like they have to take a WR high. They can if he's the BPA and he will be free to develop sans pressure, or they can take one in the 2nd or 3rd round. They still would have a good young WR prospect and they have an excellent veteran to mentor him. Marshall makes the team more competitive in 2015 and possibly 2016, but if he gets hurt or doesn't play that well, or if they draft a WR and he plays lights out and is ready to start, they can release Marshall following the season with no cap hit.

#322 NCJetsfan, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    al_toon_88 likes this.
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I agree but we go from giving up a 4th to giving up a 5th and 6th-it's kind of similar.

4. BroadwayAaron

But with one you end up with Harvin, the other you end up with Marshall and $3 mil more to spend.

5. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

WOW, this is GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!! What a way to start the weekend!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker will form one of the best WR duos in the NFL, and instantly make Geno or whoever our QB is better! There are no more character questions with BM, the guy has been nothing but a great teammate and a pro's pro the last few years, and he is a real winner...he will instantly upgrade the offense a great deal, and is a true difference maker. And getting him for only a 5th rounder is a joke, an absolute steal! I would have been happy if they traded a 2nd rounder for him, and we end up getting him for next to nothing.....this is the best possible news we could have gotten today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

NYJalltheway and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. nyjunc

I understand, I agree w/ your thinking just presenting the other side. could we have waited until Marshall was cut? I don't know.

alleycat9 and legler82 like this.
  7. jetropolitan

jetropolitan New Member

Fair enough, if we cut percy this works for me as well even tho personally I wasn't opposed to keeping him before this trade. However I do hope this means we still draft or sign another receiver. Marshall, Decker, and Kerley is still not enough imo.

8. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

On a football basis, I agree. Dollar wise, unless you can do something like McCown's deal where almost all of the guaranteed money is in year 1, I don't want Hoyer or Bradford.

9. BroadwayAaron

We don't really know that he was going to be cut, and I can assure you there would have been contenders lining up for his services. We locked him up and assured that he's ours for at least the next three years.

10. nyjunc

he was going to be cut, what we didn't know was what other teams were willing to trade for him and what other teams would have paid him after he was released.

11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Incorrect. It depends what other moves we make. If we're in a position to be highly competitive then yes I want cutler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. BroadwayAaron

Link?

13. nyjunc

steve rosenbloom‏@steverosenbloom 4h4 hours ago
    Give Ryan Pace a raise and an extension. He found a sucker to trade something for Brandon Marshall. The RosenBlog: http://trib.in/1wM1Kkm

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

P
    You assume that signing Cobb is a given if the jets want him, but that is ridiculously unrealistic. Cobb is a free agent and can sign with any of 32 teams. Why would he sign with the pass challenged Jets? Getting Marshall via trade means you are assured of acquiring the player. If the Jets let this trade go while waiting for Cobb, they likely end up with neither. This is not Madden where you put together the team you want.

15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i mean he hasnt panned out there..like sanchez a change of team could benifit boths sides...plus i dont understand why mariota/winston isnt being discussed at pick #2 for the titans

16. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that maybe the Jets made this move thinking Marshall could be a 1 year bridge to Demariyus?

Normally that would be a pipe dream but there has been some speculation that if he ever left Denver he would come here. Decker connection and all that. Signing Cobb or Maclin long term would pretty much end any shot of us signing a bigtime WR for the next 5 offseasons atleast.

Now obviously if he signs long term in Denver that doesnt happen , but as of right now it seems like there is a good chance that he becomes available next offseason.

17. BroadwayAaron

I read that already, and he's the only person I've seen say "they were going to cut him next Friday". Also, I wouldn't take too much this guy says seriously. I mean... did you read that article?

18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

If he is cut, it becomes a free for all and who knows what team he would choose.

By trading for him, you also lock him up on the terms of his Bears deal, which means no guaranteed money beyond 2015. Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand, the Jets can cut him in 2016 with no dead money.

alleycat9 and TonyMaC like this.
  19. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i semi agree with you

20. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Lol, he acts like we traded a 1st round for him or something.

Marshall is still a great WR in this league, and he'll be productive for at least another 3 seasons I think.

James Hasty and Truth4U2 like this.