Brandon Marshall to the Je ts, pending physical

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 6, 2015.

1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Marshall from a talent level, is simply everything you want in a receiver. Prototypical size, can get down the field, and fight for the football. The Jets are better today then they were yesterday. I like the move.

Turbocharged23 and almbleamal like this.
  2. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

Can't argue with the trade... it's a good one. Just not sure it makes sense for the 2015 Jets. Why not go young at WR? Is Brandon Marshall the missing "piece"? Still likely a 4-7 win team until QB gets addressed long-term, so wouldn't you prefer to spend resources (picks, $, etc) on that medium range outlook vs. having a shiny new (but used) toy that might not even be around by the time a QB is found? It's a bit strange. Would've expected Cobb to be the target.

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Being a mental midget doesnt mean you are dumb..cant read a playbook etc. It means once you are hit or the fans start booing you go into a shell and dont come out of it. Sanchez is just that. As is Geno.

Geno played better in 2013 with "utter shit" then he did last season with some decent weapons. So who really knows what type of QB he is, will become.

It wouldnt shock me at all if he's our starter come Week 1. But if that happens we better have a legit backup in place.

5. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

It makes sense if Harvin is not in the plans long-term. YOu just saved money and increased draft capital. It's a short-term move, but you're better off today than you were yesterday, significantly.

6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Okay, didn't see this coming.:eek:

to date I've treated rumors as just that; random bits of speculation stirred in a pot by NFL agents and media.

so… Marshall. welcome.:D

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you think we are going to give Tebow's # to him?

The_Darksider likes this.
  8. Garrison Nauman

Garrison Nauman Active Member

Top ten WR talent.
    3 mill less than Percy.
    5th rounder instead of 4th.

GTFO if you're a cynic saying he's not a fit blah blah blah. The jets killed this trade let's all enjoy the moment. Now we can concentrate all that money on what we should have in the first place in FA! FS, CB, OL, pass rusher (hopefully fowler at 6 instead)

High fives all around my friends. At least the offseasons are fun for us ;)

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Who is Tim Tebow? Never heard of him.

stinkyB likes this.
  10. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

That's an interesting and admirable opinion.

But I don't see that at all, the going into a shell thing, that is. I think Smith proved that he could bounce back. And I also think that he absorbed a lot of hits that he shouldn't have And that the talent level around him was crap. So, I think he deserves at least this offseason and training camp to keep the job, with a healthy competition. That's why I like the notion of Foles. I just don't see that Foles was really anything special--that he was really the anti-Geno: a guy with limited talent but with a ton of playmakers at the skill positions. And, eventually, once they had film on him, they were able to neutralize him somewhat. But having Foles as competition would be a good scenario IMO. I'm just not as excited by the prospect of turning down an OLB at #6 for it.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We have no idea what Foles potential in a normal offense is. He spent 90%+ of his snaps in the shotgun with the Eagles and he attempted only 24 passes a game in the season in which he was very good in that offense. Last year he attempted 38 passes a game in the same offense, still not a pro set, and was much worse.

We just don't know what his potential is at this point but we do know that he is likely borderline competent at worst and as such better than what we've seen out of Geno so far.

kevmvp and Dreadmadseen like this.
  12. TonyMaC

this move has a lot of the same benefits as Harvin's, a low risk high reward deal thats easy come easy go. hence forth he's got an unguaranteed salary thats even LESS than Harvin's, and we can still pick WR in the draft if we like due to the lower wages rooks receive.

I know right, B.Marsh wishes he was as good a player as Tebow, we totally need to retire that number and enshrine the greatness of that one time he faked a punt or something.:rolleyes:

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Love the trade!!!

And it changes absolutely NOTHING on draft day. I still fully 100% BELIEVE that Mariota falls to the Jets and the Jets recoup a ton of picks and Nick Foles in a trade to the Eagles. THAT is how I see it all working out. Marshall and Decker is MONEY next year. I wouldn't even complain if we kept Harvin although I can see him walking now if he doesn't take a pay cut.

VERY good start to the Bowles & McCagnen era!! Yeah baby!!!

14. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Instead of being out a 4th round pick, we're out a 5th and 6th and have a little more room on the cap. Marshall won't stay with the Jets as long as Harvin could have (based purely on age) but is a better outside receiver. Huge catch radius and red-zone target, which the Jets have needed for a long, long time.

Draft-wise, I'd say this increases our flexibility, despite costing us a pick. There are more speed threats we can pick up in the 4th than there are contested-catch guys. I'd say it reduces the chance we take a receiver with the #6 pick, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out, given Marshall's age. But if both QBs are off the board, I could definitely see us moving down 4-5 picks in the 1st to re-load on picks in rounds 2-3.

Another thing to consider is the QB-development process. Whether we end up with Mariota, Geno or someone else next year, a big, sure-handed contested-catch receiver can be a good thing for younger QBs - it gets them used to making throws into tighter windows (since big guys typically don't get that same level of separation) while also being "user friendly" in that they can make the borderline catches.

15. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

That assumes the Harvin decision is solely predicated on this trade. They could keep Harvin and/or might have been letting him go regardless of this trade. So, can't simply lump them together. If you want to get technical, I would argue that to be better today than yesterday, I would have cut Harvin (save the precious picks) and pick up a FA (ie Cobb) at just a cost of $$ (who might also be a longer-term answer).

16. TonyMaC

Harvins gone, he was good insurance incase a move like this wasn't done, but we don't need to give up a 4th now. it'll be easier to recoup a 5th or 6th rounder than a 4th.

17. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Remember b-marsh was screaming at all his teammates in the Bears locker room because they sucked?

I wonder what he's gonna say to geno after his 3rd int and 2nd lost fumble in the 3rd quarter , just after he takes a sack to knock us out of FG range

This should be colorful

NYJetsO12 and stinkyB like this.
  18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

on paper this O looks to be as talented as any we have had in a long, long time. MAYBE 2010 but on paper I think this group is better.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he wore #19 with Miami, seeing as how we've never had a big famous receiver wear that # here, maybe he will choose that ;)

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

The Anti-Tebow....Thank God

Always liked this guy. Watching him w/Miami gained mad respect for him too. Rare indeed for a stinky fuckin fish

Welcome B.Marsh!!