If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Please post the link to where Arians said Mariota can't excel in the NFL.

_

2. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

You made the post above a few days ago... you seem to flip flop a TON.

3. JStokes

101 has been jonesing for Cooper this year and Cook next year like nobodies business.

Nothing he says about Mariota now is objective.

He's got his agenda and he'll try to hide it no matter what.

_

4. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

To be fair, everyone on this board has an "agenda" if you define that word like you do.

I happen to want Mariota this year at the 6, but even I can admit that someone like you has an "agenda" for taking Mariota this year.

Objective or not, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. JStokes

Oh no no no. I have an obvious agenda.

I want Mariota.

I'm not going to bullshit you by saying Cooper is a bad route runner or slow or soft or that Cook is short or has a weak arm or is timid.

I'll own my agenda.

101 cloaks his in bullshit.

He should just own it. Let's all be honest. He doesn't want Mariota because he wants Cooper this year and Cook next year. Stop with the spread QB bullshit and talents that don't translate and Bruce Arians and lasagna.

We are men. Lies do not become us.

_

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think that quote was me defending Mariota against people who thought he was similar to Geno Smith. Mariota is worthy of a top 10 selection, but to be honest - I've been up and down in regards to him a lot this off-season. I'm no scout and he's a hard guy to evaluate. I think the Jets can get an impact player at 6 that can get really help this team out.

If I'm up and down on a player like this - then I feel he isn't the guy I truly want at 6.

7. 101GangGreen101

I think everyone has their own vision of how they want to see the Jets in 2 or 3 years. Not everyone is going to agree with each other and I think that's absolutely fine. But don't get mad at me just because I don't agree with your assessment of a particular player (btw this is not directed at you in any way so don't take any offense).

I myself, believe the Jets would be suited with a QB that can operate in the pocket, and has knowledge of going through progressions.

Axel3419 likes this.
  8. JStokes

I don't get mad at anyone in these discussions. I just find it funny when folks mask their agenda with bullshit about stuff Bruce Arisns never said or skills that CAN'T be attained because they've never been asked to be utilized and then faking that you like the player when you really don't.

You can say all you want that you like Matiota but in reality you don't want anything to do with him.

Just own it.

_

9. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]

10. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

IT's funny that you are presuming that others have an agenda when you are trotting out a straw man argument like that. The people I see speaking out against Mariota have offered reasonable explanations as to why. That you don't like those explanations has no bearing on their validity.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Come on, you're better than this. Cam is not "breaking down by the year." He was in a freaking truck accident where his truck rolled and he could have been seriously injured. Stupid freaking Gettleman overestimated the abilities of his OL and they about got Cam killed IN THE POCKET, not running. This past season is the only season where he has been hurt. That's hardly a pattern.

And the truth doesn't hurt, because he posted ZERO truth in that post. I've had it with his blatant lies and BS. I'm putting his ass on ignore.

12. NCJetsfan

Now THERE'S TRUTH!!!!

13. NCJetsfan

I basically agree with your post except the one phrase I bolded. How can you say that? Just because that other blue chip prospect isn't a QB doesn't mean he has any less chance of busting or that his floor is potentially higher. 1st round WRs bust quite frequently. It's not unheard of for 1st round OLBs to bust, either.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The bold screams "...the Championship game was the I saw Mariota play but I'll pretend I am an expert on all things Mariota".

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

LOL…Sanchez rapes children.

16. patdaman819

patdaman819 Member

agree on this one

17. 101GangGreen101

I am better then this you are right ... I had to drag myself down to his level due to his inability to comprehend. He has no argument at this juncture, instead he just tries and attacks what I believe the Jets can do in the near future.

Cam was hurt well before the car accident (missed wk 1), it seems he's always got some injuries. I do agree, his LT is freaking trash and the offensive line needs an upgrade. I also see Cam's throwing mechanics have not improved since he's been in the league.

One other point I would like to bring up.

The thought that Cook cannot learn Mariota's talents is quite possibility the dumbest thing I have ever heard considering they are completely different quarterbacks. Different skill-sets. Obviously Stokes wants to attack a QB I like because I attacked a QB he likes. Very immature if you ask me.

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Why does everyone have to have an "agenda?" Everyone has a different evaluation and are willing to take different levels of risk for a player. Just because someone disagrees with someone else, doesn't mean they have an agenda. Different opinions on how a player is going to turn out and how it affects the Jets, isn't an agenda.

Mariota is a flawed player. He's got sky high potential for sure, and a lot of good qualities, but he also has some red flags. Like Bruce Arians said, he is not an NFL player right now. He's far behind the 8 ball when it comes to playing quarterback in the NFL. He doesn't have a lot of the necessary abilities right now. That alone can turn a fan off to a player, and it doesn't mean he has some "hidden agenda." Never being in a huddle or calling a play, no real experience from the pocket.

He has a natural ability to throw the ball, elite athleticism, and by all accounts the demeanor to be a pro. He just needs a good amount of refining and coaching. In the right situation, I don't think anyone thinks Mariota is a surefire bust. The question is does the risk outweigh the reward.

I'll say this, if the Jets don't plan on sitting Mariota for at least a year, don't even bother taking him. He will not be ready to play this upcoming season, even though the fans and media will be clamoring for him. He has too many things to learn, and there is nothing wrong with benching him while we build up talent around him. Bowles and Macgagnan need to be very disciplined if they want to draft Mariota this year. They will get destroyed by the media and fans alike, but they cant listen to them.

deerow84 likes this.
  19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

No, I watched him beat up on weaklings too.....nice way to infer facts not in your grasp.

Mariota's resume is Geno Smith Redux, except Smith lost games in college.

Looked great against inferior competition, AT THE COLLEGE level.
    Mariota spent more time backpeddling in the biggest game of his life, then Ali did against Foreman.

except, Ali actually came back to win that fight

You want to relive the Geno debacle on a grander scale, have at it.

20. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Heres an interesting scenario Ive been thinking about.

Lets say Mariota is on the board and Macc/bowles dont think he is the guy and want to trade with philly.

Obviously we'd get foles, the 20th pick, a first next year, and maybe a 2nd and 4th this year. With those picks, we could easily move up again (maybe trade with the giants) and get cooper.

This is a long shot absolutely, but the thought of adding cooper, foles and an extra 2016 1st sounds exciting.