If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

That's fair and makes sense. I'm fine with drafting a QB yearly, but just with a lower pick. Whenever we make high investments at a position (even 2nd round picks like Hill and Geno), we tend to give them a lot more rope and miss out on prospects. It we draft Mariota this year, he sits on the bench and we end up with a shot at Connor Cook next year with a top pick, do you think new regime would take him? And should they?

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Much like what we did with Chad remember? Many were so against his so called noodle arm but he become a field general for us.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think they definitely should, but I cant wait to see what the new regime is really thinking by their actions. I'm hoping that this FO is strong enough not to cave to short term pressure from the media and the fans....and savvy enough to keep Woody out of the personnel decision making business.

I think you would agree this is probably shaping out to be one of the more exciting free agencies and drafts in a while. I know it is not good t0 look back but I think last year we squandered a golden opportunity in the draft and we laid a major egg on free agency with the exception of Decker.

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Oh what the hell, just for grins and giggles. Here's a piece from Ken Goe:

Oh, and as far as "professional writers" goes,

5. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Just hope that he won't turn into another one hit wonder like Pennington or Sanchez, or Smith for that matter.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

You draft a QB in a strong class but you can also draft a QB in a weak class if the top one or two guys are exceptional and the rest of the class is crap.

Where we are sitting, I don't view this class as weak if JW or MM are there at 6.

If they aren't, then no, the class becomes weak and you do not draft one.

2013 was the ultimate year to NOT draft a QB. They were all shit, top to bottom. Every one.

2014 was the year to draft a QB because there was QB talent virtually in evey round.

2015 is a hybrid class. Two top guys, then a bunch of jags. Not a strong class top to bottom, but not a weak class because of the superior talent of the first two guys.

_

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yup.

_

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sadly, my gut tells me the same thing. It wouldn't be the Jets if we didn't screwed and not get at least a chance to take him. Our luck is Winston will drop, we'll take him and he'll bust because of character and legal issues.

9. NCJetsfan

Dude, your reasoning is so full of holes and post so full of inaccuracies, I don't even know where to start.

I guess I'll start by saying that Mariotta benefitted from the spread offense is utter BS!!! You have no factual basis for saying that. How did he benefit exactly? What deficiencies in his game did the spread offense cover up? He ran that offense like a virtuoso violinist plays a Stradivarius. You think it's easy to run the plays so quickly and make decisions so quickly? It isn't. It would be a lot easier to make more mistakes and throw more interceptions and he threw very few in 3 years. Is he perfect? No, but NO prospect is.

Every QB misses some throws. They're human. They make mistakes trying to do too much. They have bad days/games, so your comments about missing throws are lame.

The NFL has NOT been able to neutralize running QBs. That's an outright lie. Geno was able to gain good yardage running, and he's not even that good a running QB. The only reason Cam didn't pile up as much yardage this year, is that he was really banged up early and they had decided early not to run him for fear of his getting hurt. Later in the season, they returned to letting him run more and he and their offense was more effective. Colin Kaepernick piled up 639 yards for a 6.1 YPC clip. I know that Rodgers, when healthy, was able to pick up plenty of yardage when he ran. I don't follow every team, so I don't know how every other mobile QB did, but I'd be willing to bet that they did well and you're wrong.

YES, even if Mariota ran a 4.9 he'd still be worth the #6 pick. His foot speed is a plus, but it's his quickness of mind, football IQ, talent, arm, leadership, work ethic and character that makes him such a great QB prospect. Some Jets fans would say it would actually be a plus, because they don't want a QB who will run for fear he will get hurt. They'd prefer he just stay in the pocket or throw the ball away. So a 4.9 would greatly lessen the likelihood that he would take off with the ball, and would simply throw it away instead if no one was open.

Taking Mariota would not be "reaching for need." That's one of your most ridiculous comments, and doesn't deserve any other response.

You sound like a decent enough guy, but don't sound like you know squat about football or judging talent. I'm sorry. I know this may be harsh, and I tried to temper it, but I've had it with fans posting utter nonsense when they have no clue what they're talking about. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but they need to be intelligent opinions backed up with real facts if you want to be taken seriously and respected for your comments. You sound young. If so, you have time to learn.

If Mariota is there and Mac doesn't take him, I want you to remember that you didn't want the Jets to take him when he's a top 10 (if not top 5) QB in the NFL and winning multiple championships (unless he gets stuck on a horrible franchise). You should then be a man and take your medicine and not complain while you're watching the latest sorry ass excuse for a QB playing for the Jets and the Jets are continuing to stumble along in mediocrity. You'll deserve what you're getting.

10. Demosthenes9

There's plenty of "factual basis". Oregon's Spread Option is a 1 read offense that makes use of favorable matchups. Defenses have to load the box up to stop the run which usually puts the WRs in 1 on 1 match ups. The ball is snapped, Mariota catches it, he fires it to is first read who is usually wide open. With that, Mariota rarely went through progressions. Additionally, he rarely had to throw with "anticipation" as those types of passes aren't a staple of Oregon's offense. Then you can look at the whole "never ran a huddle thing" which is something that Arians gets into. The coaches signaled the plays in from the sideline, and they would often signal "audibles" as well once they saw how the defense was aligned.

To be sure, none of this is Mariota's "fault" so to speak as his job was to play within the system. That said, it does put him behind if he goes to a team that wants him to run a more "traditional" NFL offense.

11. NCJetsfan

No, it isn't. You described how the offense worked, NOT how it helped cover up flaws or deficiencies in Mariota's game. Turbo's saying that Mariota benefitted from playing in that system says that it made him look better than he actually is. If anything, since Mariota is considered to be "behind" entering the NFL, playing in that system hurt him rather than helping him.

There is not one shred of proof that Mariota can't do any of those things well, only that the system he played in didn't require it. Yes, he will be "behind" but he has the football IQ, talent, athleticism, and work ethic to learn all that he needs to. Lots of QBs come out of college and are "behind," and they don't have half the football IQ, talent, athleticism or work ethic of Mariota.

#611 NCJetsfan, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    hwismer likes this.
  12. Demosthenes9

Something can hurt and help someone at the same time, it's a matter of perspective. The system helped him in compiling those gaudy stats and being a great college QB. It hurt him in terms of development as an "NFL QB".

Look, I don't see anyone really saying that Mariota will be a bust. Mostly what I'm seeing is others say that it will take him some time to transition to the NFL. That the path will be more difficult than others who were pocket passers in college.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Or….Winston falls to the Jets, wh0 hand him the reins by late November leading to a Jets mini turnaround and a 9-7 wildcard spot. While they lose on the road in the wildcard game, progress and promise appear on the hoizon for '16. An apparent changing of the guard appears to come into play by the end of 2016 with the 10-6 Jets upsetting the 11-5 Patriots in an AFC divisional playoff game in Foxborough.

Leading up to the game, another 'cheating' scandal involving the Patriots organization hits the front pages, only this time it has to do with an off-the-field issue when ESPN reports that 74-year old Patriots owner Robert Kraft sought to have the Newtown Co., MA Sheriff issue an arrest warrent for Jameis Winston involving an alleged sexual assault on 34-year old Kraft bimbo Ricki Noel Lander. A subsequent TMZ report reveals that the two had engaged in a strictly consensual relationship resulting in no charges being filed. Admist the media storm during game week, Winston again puts on the blinders, 'compartmentalizes' the Lander story and leads the Jets to a 31-24 win.

"joe…………'morning, time to wake up …."

Axel3419 likes this.
  14. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Look I get where you're coming from and I usually respect your posts on the board. That said, your post was a bit harsh and you need to recognize there are other perspectives here. We will just have to respectfully agree to disagree. I played football in college and I watch both the pros and college and I know what I'm taking about. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't know "squat."

Winston is a no brainer prospect for me if he falls to six. Mariota on the other hand I don't think is worth that high of a pick so let's agree to disagree.

I prefer a pure pocket passer to a guy who is a dual threat coming out of college. For one, they are used to relying on their athleticism to make plays that just won't be there in the NFL. I would put Manziel, RGIII, Kaepernick in that bucket. Second, they take too many hits which applies to RGIII but even Cam Newton gets battered. You mention Rodgers above but i would consider him a pocket passer who is mobile, not a dual threat QB. I will admit Russell Wilson goes against my theory, but that's an exception not the norm.

Every QB misses throws yes. But the throws that Mariota missed in games were similar to ones that we crucify Geno for. And in the NFL those will turn into picks.

I'm also cautious about our ability to develop him. We haven't really been able to develop QBs here in NY ( I blame that partly on Rex Ryan) but this is a tough market and if it takes Mariota 1-2 or even 3 years to come into his own, will the NY fan base wait that long?

I hate the QB situation as much as you do but I guess we just differ on our view of Mariota. If we don't get Winston, I personally don't want a first round QB and would prefer Fowler, Cooper or White. Maybe that's me being risk averse but that's where I stand.

15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This is probably the most realistic scenario

16. lockgang

lockgang Member

Per Landry, Arians likes Mariota. Maybe Arians was talking other spread qb's.

Copied this from football's future's draft forum.
    http://www.620wdae.com/media/podcas...hris-landry-goes-indepth-on-winston-25849582/

List of those who liked winston more
    Mike Shula
    Joe Philbin
    Marty Mornhinweg
    Hue Jackson
    Jed Fisch
    Frank Reich
    Doug Whaley
    Ryan Grigson
    Dave Caldwell
    Scot McCloughan

list of those who told landry they like mariota
    sean payton
    Darrell Bevell
    Gary Kubiak
    Bill O'Brien (likee bryce petty more than both winston/mariota)
    pep hamilton
    Doug Pederson
    andy reid
    Bill Lazor
    tom clements
    Mike McCarthy
    norv turner
    josh mcdaniels
    Bruce Arians
    jeff fisher
    Les Snead
    john schneider
    Trent Baalke
    Steve Keim
    ted thompson
    Jerry Reese
    ozzie newsome
    kevin colbert
    tom telesco

#616 lockgang, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

18. Hobbes3259

Both are non-starters.

the only winning move is...

not to play.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Take everybody who works for an NFL team off of the respective lists. Nobody who works for an NFL team is going to give anybody any straight information between now and the draft.

20. Hobbes3259

I rest it on the National champ game.

Mariota looked shot.

Pac12 aint NFL.

Watch Draft Day.