If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Teams that don't have a franchise QB should select a potential franchise QB when given the opportunity every time. You do not ever pass on a potential franchise QB when you don't have one, ever.

If we are lucky enough to have Mariota available to us it is as easy a decision as they come during the draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think they would run spread at times to change the pace when they need too and at times they need to manage the clock. Honestly besides Chip Kelly, Chan Gaileys offence is perfect for Mariota. They would just need to add a RB that can spread the field (spiller) and another WR with speed (draft).

It would be very exciting if it happened!

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

One of the main reasons we went 4-12 was because of QB play. If we were to be in the fortunate and rare position in which BPA met one of our major needs, we'd be idiots to pass. It would be a practice in team destruction rather than construction. I also find it amusing when people throw around trade down like it's such an easy option. Often times trading down is just as hard or harder than trading up.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's what the Jets would have to do to make a Mariota pick a good pick. They'd have to run a spread as their normal set. There's no way they're keeping him off the field next year if they take him.

So, here's the problem: the Jets won't know until the draft on April 30th whether or not they will have a real shot at Mariota. Most of their free agent acquisitions will be done before that point, particularly if they actually want to spend some cash and get the best players available. So the Jets are going to be acquiring a WR (most likely), an OG (again likely), a RB to replace Bilal Powell on the depth chart and maybe play 3rd downs depending on Harvin's situation, and a backup veteran QB with the chops to start next year if that's what happens. That's a lot of pieces to acquire when you're not sure what you're running on offense.

Maybe the answer is just to go full spread now and acquire the pieces needed to do that and then if Mariota falls to us we take him and otherwise we have Geno at least to start the season in a system that will be much friendlier for him.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I vehemently disagree with the premise that Mariota can only be successful running the spread.

hwismer likes this.
  6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Yep, exactly. Let's remember that Geno played very well in the spread system at West Virginia.

In fact, Geno is kind of a poor man's Mariota if you think about it in many ways. He didn't run in college like Mariota, but he certainly has the speed for it. (4.59 40 yards, .04 slower than Mariota).

I don't think Geno ultimately has the ability to be a successful NFL Qb in any system, but there's a chance he will improve under Gailey. Planning our offense around the spread spread before getting Mariota isn't the worst possible scenario.

Br4d likes this.
  7. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

How many games do you think Geno cost you last year ? Or, what do you think the Jets record would have been if you had any NFL starter other than PManning, Brady or Rodgers ?

8. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

The more time that goes on the more I think both QBs will be gone before our pick. Tampa Bay seems all but certain to pick a QB which leaves one of the top two with four other teams picking before us, any of whom could also trade down. Part of me really wants Mariota but part of me still isn't convinced he's a franchise guy, I don't know why just a guy feeling.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He cost us 2 games early on in Green Bay and against Detroit. What effect that had on the rest of the season is unclear. I think the Jets win 8 games last year with just average QB play.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't predict anything. I said that "most likely" they won't. How many QBs win the Heismann Trophy after their first year of college ball? That tells you what the odds (infinitesimally small) are that someone in the 2017 draft will be able to match or excel Winston's 2 -year career.

He is a great prospect. He doesn't have to be a "once in a decade" prospect to be very good or even great in the NFL. IMO wanting to pass on him and hoping against all odds that some QB will match or excel his career and potential, and then hoping that the Jets would be in position to draft him or have the necessary ammunition to trade up and get said QB within the next 2-3 years is pissing on his career and his talent and is unrealistic and illogical imo.

11. NCJetsfan

I see your thinking, but think you are totally wrong in your thinking on teams in group 3. Do you have any idea at all just how difficult it is to find a quality QB? You must not. You must think they grow on trees or something. Take a look at the QBs in the NFL. Relatively speaking, most of them are average/mediocre or suck. QB is THE most important position on any team. A good QB is worth 3-4 other topflight starters, maybe more. Teams in group 3 ought to be doing everything they can to move heaven and earth to get a good QB. If they have a chance to draft one with a ton of talent, a great character and work ethic, has an NFL arm, is accurate, and who has a very high football IQ following a 4-12 season, they'd be insane to pass on him and trade down. Utterly, absolutely insane imo. IMO any GM that passed on a QB in that situation should be fired the moment that pick is made. The ONLY reason a team in group 3 should pass on said QB is if for some reason they think he will bust. The only negative on Mariota is that he played in a spread offense. He has everything else you could want in a QB that's not a once in a decade prospect. How many Jets QBs have been "once in a decade" QBs? How long do we have to wait and hope for another?

12. NCJetsfan

Absurd. Totally absurd. So because we don't have an older QB, of if Gailey doesn't plan on running a similar offense, we shouldn't draft him? Nevermind that the only negatives against him are that he played in a spread offense and isn't a "once in a decade" prospect, but has every other aspect going for him that you'd want and hope for in your QB. You act like he's stupid and can't learn or is lazy. Taking a snap from under center isn't rocket science, nor is commanding a huddle. Mariota may have never had to do that in college, but he's a leader and is intelligent. He's a competitor and a hard worker. So it boils down to the fact that you're not willing to wait one year for a potentially very good to great QB. Even if we have to suffer through Geno one more year or bring in Hoyer, having Mariota waiting in the wings would be well worth it, and he might not even take a year to develop.

13. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

NC, here was one of your first replies to my question about another QB in the next 2 drafts:

That is predicting that no one will have a 2 year career like Winston. It was the reason I brought Winston up in the first place as he splashed on the scene and had an incredible 2 years.

As for how many QBs win the Heisman after their first year (as a starter), well, Johnny Manziel did it just the year before Winston. In 2010, Cam Newton won the Heisman after just 1 year as a starter at Auburn (he threw a total of 12 passes his Fr and Soph years at Florida, then went to Blinn Junior College before going to Auburn his Sr year.)

I'll copy this quote and put it in with your other response and address it there.

14. Scoop24

Scoop24 Member

You either trade down for the Kings Ransom or Take him . Either way if he is there at #6. It should impact our draft imo

#514 Scoop24, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

What if 12 gauge wins a second championship next year?

Is Mariota still better somehow?

16. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

All by himself? No RBs and no WRs and no defense. Just wins it?

What if Jones takes a step back and throws a bunch of pics and isn't very accurate but OSU is so dominant they crush all competition?

What if Jones doesn't play until the last week of the season and then wins again?

Is it the championship that makes him better? Or the play itself.

What if Jones completes 80% of his passes for 5000 yards and 55TDs to 1 INT, but OSU loses on a fluke 100 yard return of a FG?

What of your analogy then?

_

17. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I want to be sold on Mariota (in case we do end up taking him), but I just can't get there.

He looks like Ryan Tannehill to me. If I had to guess right now, I think he'll be somewhere between "ok to good" but not great.

If he does end up being the pick and the comparison holds true, I am wondering how pro-Mariota folks would feel?

#517 al_toon_88, Feb 23, 2015
  18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I agree that obviously you can't just sit around waiting for a "once in a decade" QB (e.g. Luck, Rodgers) to fall into your lap. I think there is a line you draw on whether you really believe a guy can be a franchise QB for you.

Pittsburgh didn't hesitate to take Big Ben in the top 10 (#11 overall, actually). And while nobody outside of Steeler fans really thinks of him as being in the "best of the best" category, he's obviously not the kind of guy you pass on if your team needs a QB.

At the same time, you don't want to waste the pick on another guy who might be another Geno. If you take the QB at #6 and he ends up being slightly better than Geno, for argument's sake, you've not only bypassed the opportunity to take a guy who can be a difference maker at another position but you've wasted another year or 2 only to confirm that the guy doesn't have what it takes, or a scenario that's arguably worse: a QB like Jay Cutler that is good but not great...you stick with him because he's pretty good and you are always convincing yourself that he can take your team to the next level, but he never does....meanwhile, the talent around him ages / erodes and after 4-5 years of frustrated expectations you are ultimately back to square one.

I respect your opinion, but I am curious as to why you are so convinced Mariota will be a top-flight NFL QB?

You are projecting that he'll be able to master an NFL playbook, read coverages, know and call protections, and once the ball is snapped, to go through his progressions, understand situational football, etc. rather than just throwing to guys that are wide open and waving for the ball or running to daylight when he feels the heat.

If you watch him on tape, he is not the most accurate passer. How much of his high completion % is due to the offense that they run, with all the WR screens and uptempo spread where WRs are running free in wide open swaths of grass?

He doesn't throw a lot of picks, but neither did Geno running the spread at WV.

Mariota also had 27 fumbles in college. That is a lot. After Sancho and Geno, the last thing this team needs is another QB that can't hang on to the ball.

There is a lot to like about Mariota. I love his intangibles, character, etc. I think he'll be a hard worker and a good leader. I'm just not sure I believe in him enough to feel good about him being the pick at #6.

#518 al_toon_88, Feb 23, 2015
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sounds like a player you would draft at 6 to me. Just doesn't have the elite arm strength or elite accuracy like Winston. I think he's got the football IQ for certain and he's not widely inaccurate. Maturity and accurate - 2 things you def want in a QB.

He's worth the top 10 selection.

20. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

The Jets defense cost them the Green Bay game.