If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Mariota in Chan Gaileys offence is a perfect fit.. Besides Kelly's offence there isn't a better fit.

If he falls to 6 there isn't a chance we don't take him.

2. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Since I don't see him as a once in a decade type prospect like Luck was, no. Especially seeing as how he's the 2nd best qb in this draft.

That said, its possible

James Hasty likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Demosthenes9 said:
    Not one of the QB prospects in the 2016 or 2017 draft will have had the 3-year career that Mariota had. No one in the 2016 draft will have had the two-year career that Winston had, and it's most likely that no one in the 2017 draft will have either. That makes the odds of anyone being as good as either of those two extremely small, and it will be much less certain, and probably based off of one very good year before entering the draft. You want to piss on Mariota's career and talent and say that he's too risky, yet are willing and hoping to try to find our new QB based on less information, and probably a much lesser talent. You want to talk illogical?

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sure it's possible, but not bloody likely. What then? Roll the dice on a prospect anyway? Wait? If wait, how long? How much longer does the team have to wait for a real QB? You also forget that unless Mac and Bowles are incompetent the rest of the team will be getting better and the record improving, thus making it harder to get a franchise QB because of where the team will be picking. Again, that's completely illogical.

There may be different ways to build a team, but ignoring the QB position ain't one of them. Following a 4-12 season, when you probably won't have to trade up, and where there's a prospect with a ton of talent and intangibles who could drop to you, is the time to take a QB, NOT following a 9-7 or 10-6 season where you may have to give up the ranch to move up, and even then may not wind up getting the QB you want, and even if you do, you may really regret it. If Mariota is there and Mac doesn't take him, I'm going to start rooting (campaigning?) for him to be fired, because imo, he's no better than Idzik. If you have an ounce of common sense or knowledge of football, you don't pass up on a prospect like Mariota in hopes that there will be someone as good or better in the draft in a year or two.

Lots of drafts are bad for QBs. Last year was thought to be a bad year. So was the year we took Sanchez. The year Luck was taken, he was the only "elite" can't miss prospect. How many QBs taken in rounds other than the first during the last 5-10 seasons have panned out?

5. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

This thread is a moot point unless we're gonna trade up with the Titans. MM isn't getting past the second pick no matter what the useful idiots on sportscenter think

hwismer and almbleamal like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mariota going #2 is not set in stone.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Williams just made that possible. That kid confirmed he is a beast! Titans might not be able to pass on him. Jags are set on Bortals... Raiders on Carr.. Skins are the wild card! If a team is in love with Mariota they will trade with them.

I could see this after today

1. Tampa - Winston
    2. Titans - Williams
    3. Jags - Gregory/white/Cooper
    4. Oak - Cooper/White
    5. Skins - ???
    6. Jets - Mariota

NCJetsfan and Axel3419 like this.
  8. Demosthenes9

How can you sit there and predict that no one in the 2017 draft will have a 2 year career like Winston just had when at the beginning of the 2013 season, no one predicted that Winston would do that well?

As for Mariota, I haven't said anything that could be construed as "pissing" on his career. All I have said is that I definitely don't see him as a Luck/Manning "once in a decade" prospect and that he's the 2nd best QB in the draft this year.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a really good chance Mariota is sitting there on the 6. If he's not there odds are it was a trade up into the Jaguars, Raiders or Redskins slot.

Barring some new development in the lawsuit against FSU between now and the draft Winston will go #1 to the Buc and I expect Leonard Williams will go #2 to the Titans. The Titans really need a DE who can also apply some pressure in their 3-4 and Williams is the best interior lineman in the draft this year.

hwismer likes this.
  10. Demosthenes9

NC, the way I look at it is that building a team is a process and there are different stages of that process that teams might be in. Basically, teams can be broken down into three groups. 1.) Teams completely set at QB, 2.) Solid teams in need of a good QB. 3.) Lousy teams with lots of holes, including a need at QB.

Situation: Team has a high draft pick, are on the clock, and a prospect like Mariota is available

Teams in group 1 should trade down for picks.
    Teams in group 2 should pick Mariota
    Teams in group 3 should also trade down for picks and fill holes.

If a team is in group 2 and aren't on the clock, they should look at trading up to take Mariota.

This isn't to say that there might not be some other considerations that should be taken into account when deciding what to do. This is just a kind of general strategy.

Br4d likes this.
  11. Br4d

Jets need a QB, RG, WR, OLB (pass rusher), CB and FS at a minimum. They're in group 2 in Demosthenes post above.

Edit: I meant group 3 not group 2.

#491 Br4d, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  12. Demosthenes9

With those needs and coming off a 4 - 12 season which was preceded by an 8-8 one, I'd tend to put you all in group 3.

13. Br4d

Sorry I meant group 3. I'll edit the post. The Jets have a lot of needs right now. Great post btw.

14. Demosthenes9

It happens, no apologies necessary. Thanks for the kind words. I put the last statement in there after I started thinking about where Chicago would fit in those classifications, and what they should do. I'd put them in group 3 as well at this point, but man, they've got to get out from under Cutler's contract.

15. Br4d

I think there are only 2 types of teams that should consider drafting Mariota with a really high pick.

The obvious first would be a team running a Spread offense out of the shotgun. The second would be a team that has an older QB who is good enough to keep Mariota on the bench for a year or two as he adjusts to the speed of the NFL and the pro set.

Demosthenes9 likes this.
  16. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Would the Jets not run a spread offense around Mariota if we drafted him? Chan Gailey certainly has the background for it. I don't see Mariota succeeding with the Jets as a rookie necessarily, but if we either re-strucure Harvin (or keep him) or get another top WR in free agency (along with a RG), I don't see why our offense can't be built around Mariota if we decide to pick him at the 6.

Br4d likes this.
  17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Total nonsense.

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

That's an insult to actual nonsense.

It's sheer stupidity and the opposite of how to build a consistently competitive team.

_

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Somebody needs to explain to me how often a "Team in Group 2"…(Solid teams in need of a good QB)" would be in the draft position to select a top rated QB prospect. By his logic the Colts did the wrong thing by drafting Luck and NOT trading down.

Attackett likes this.
  20. Demosthenes9

Throughout this thread I have consistently said that "once in a decade" QBs like Luck/Manning are the exception, that any team in need of a QB should grab them. As for teams in group 2, if they aren't in a favorable draft position, they should move up in the draft via trades.