If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

No more excuse JStokes, just make it happen.

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I think there's less need for perfect technique in the spread option and a much bigger need for physical ability. There's a lot less overall equal talent levels in college so the spread option allows teams to dominate lesser competition. In the NFL, everyone is fast. Everyone is strong. Most everyone is smart. Technique and strategy are what allows teams to win in the NFL and that's a bigger part of the pro style offense.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

cmon now Stokes ... my point is you can win and run a pro offense in college ... look up the last BCS Champs and you'll see.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The last BCS champs won because they DOMINATED the trenches on both sides of the ball. If you can do that you will win regardless of the type of offense you run.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

But not every coach cares to do that. Oregon's s perfect example. They probably would have no chance competing for some of the high school players that USC, OSU, Alabama, Auburn and others get. They probably have a much better chance of winning by using different systems which utilize different skills and talents and they can take very talented players that other schools would probably overlook because they didn't quite fit the pro system mold.

It also would make the college game boring. Part of what makes the college game exciting is that it's a place where creative minds can devise new systems and new schemes and have great success. You know this, but colleges aren't an organized minor league farm system for the NFL like baseball has. I've thought for years that it would behoove the NFL to develop a farm system. For a few years, they had it with the NFL Europe league. As crazy as people are about football, I think they could do it here and succeed.

I agree with your sentiments about collegiate coaches not preparing players for the NFL. I think the same thing about many high school coaches. They get a kid like Tebow, who's bigger and stronger than most of the other kids, and can win with him. They don't try to fix the hitches in their delivery or fundamental flaws because that would have the kid thinking too much and he wouldn't be able to just go out, play and win using his natural ability.

#465 NCJetsfan, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I said this in the Draft Forum and I'll say it here...

I'm Damn near gettin' on my knees and Praying He falls to us...and then I'll definitely throw myself on the ground Praying and begging that we take him.

Hope we can nab Bradford on the cheap too

7. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

So you're suggesting that every college program run a pro style offense?

Then why do the vast majority not?

Because it gives them the best chance to win a LOT.

_

8. 101GangGreen101

Of course not, but I think certain programs can do a better job prepping players for the next level. Oregon included. I do agree that college football is where you are an innovator as a HC, I just feel they can do a better job getting some of these kids ready for the next level.

9. JStokes

Again, college programs are not about prepping players for the pros.

It's about winning and job preservation.

_

10. 101GangGreen101

I think they discussed this during the combine, if a coach knows a player wants to go to the next level, a good coach will help that player succeed at the next level.

11. JStokes

I do not believe a human being ingrained in self preservation will be benevolent enough to throw his own best interest below that of a 21 year old ready to make millions.

Just a hunch.

_

12. 101GangGreen101

It's part of the recruiting process.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They could, and probably should, but as stokes said, their focus is on keeping their jobs and winning games. They use their players for their own ends. It shouldn't be that way, but that's human nature.

Just look at all the varying opinions, philosophies, attitudes, approaches, etc. on this fan site. That's probably akin the the football coaches. Some are better humans than others. Some care more about their players and try to help them, others use the players to further their own ambitions and careers. Some are lazy, some are not the best educated/trained in what the proper fundamentals and techniques are, some are good "teachers," others are not.

14. JStokes

So why don't the 100 spread offense schools recruit as you'd like?

_

15. 101GangGreen101

I think the better question is why don't those teams have national titles? If I am a QB, I want to play in a pro style offense.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The answer is because they are NOT 3 deep with 5 star recruits at every position. When you are, you can afford to run an offense that is better suited for your QBs NFL future. When you are NOT, you run the offense that gives your team the best chance to win and disregard the NFL development of your QBs. Note Urban Meyer won the National Championship with Tebow and the Spread as well as a a version of the Spread with more traditional pro-style concepts this past season; whatever works.

#476 legler82, Feb 21, 2015
  17. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Ummm, they do ? OSU is the reigning National Champ and they do in fact run a Spread offense. Going even further, 5 or 6 of the last 10 National Championship teams ran spread offenses. Only one in question is LSU in 2007. Can't remember if they ran Spread or Pro style.

#477 Demosthenes9, Feb 21, 2015
    legler82 likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mariota is worth more to the Eagles than any other franchise at this point. As long as Chip Kelly is the coach there the Eagles will be running a spread as their main offense. Mariota has far fewer transitions to make if he goes and plays for the Eagles than if he plays anywhere else.

Demosthenes9 and James Hasty like this.
  19. ccraveiro21

ccraveiro21 Member

This year is a down(ish) year for qb, every draft analyst and scout has admitted that. I was just suggesting waiting another year to completely be able to make a decision on geno and getting some picks in return. 12 gauge is cardale jones, its a badass nickname I thought more people knew, my bad haha. Since making my post I have been watching the combine and now see that Mariota will probably not fall to us. I also am now intoxicated by kevin white, kids a freak. Would be sweet to grab at 6

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Wouldn't it be equally as illogical to assume that there will be someone as good, or better than Mariota?

NCJetsfan likes this.