Reflecting a Heart Breaking Four Years and Where We Go From Here....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Feb 20, 2015.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

:D

_

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

there is always an exception to every rule (though those are both bad examples as both Flacco and Manning are capable of performing at a top tier level especially in the playoffs) but the simple fact is (as I have now posted many times) every team with an overall winning record over the last decade or so has had a top 10 ranked QB on its roster during that time (except Baltimore and Flacco isn't far off).

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

This pretty well sums it up. 13 draft picks over 3 years led to a lack of depth. completely whiffing on 8 of those 13 picks and the other 5 picks (Keller, Lowery, Slauson, Greene, Sanchez) were marginal hits with new true stars (Ironically Slauson and Lowery were probably the best of the 5). The team set up it's decline in 2009 going for a short window of opportunity that peaked in 2010 and crashed in 2011. The team had been in a spiral of decline from 2011 on and was summed up by poor drafting and poor personnel decisions. The sad part is the 2009 and 2010 teams were really rather league average teams, slightly above, and not strong teams. As long as they could keep opponents within 10 points they had a chance, but any time an opponent had a full 2 score lead at any point in the game the Jets won exactly once. And when the defense was no longer league elite the team perished with it.

I'll miss Rex, it wasn't all his fault, but he wasn't blameless either. I'm glad the front office and coaching staff have been blown up. It was time to clean house and set sail in a new direction and a new vision.
    But lets not fool ourselves, this is going to take a year or 3 to turn around, there are too many holes and too many problems to turn this team around overnight. We need to have patience for the new regime to set course and patch the leaks and rebuild the ship.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The best thing about being a Long Time Jets Fan (LTJF) is that you can take the long view and be good with it. I have no problem with a 3 year turnaround as long as I see PROGRESS along the way. No mirages. We've had enough teases to last us all a lifetime. I don't care about the AFCCG losses because they were LOSSES and frankly, hanging on to losses just isn't healthy. It was well past time to move on and Woody Johnson, bless his heart finally found the courage to do that.

It's not like we were perennial contenders anyway. More pretenders than anything else. Now that the circus has moved on to Siberia (Buffalo) and the house has been cleaned out, I'm looking forward now to a new and brighter day. What's 3 more years after 46 has already passed..

Like I said... Taking the Long View on the Jets and looking forward to 2016 and beyond.

5. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

If they win a SB without "top tier QB" that will make a huge difference.

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

yes - but they won't.

7. 1968jetsfan

+1000

8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Look at the bright side, we won our SB WITHOUT cheating. Can the patsies say that, nope.

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

just have a few decent drafts, its amazing how one team can suck so fucking badly at the one thing that it is necessary to do well at. they turned everything over so at least it is new and will be different and a chance for a different result.

who knows what kind of job the guys in charge now will do, but it needed to be changed and we can hope for the best.

that or we start calling the coach bowels.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great responses. Thanks guys!

As for talking about being a Long Time Jets Fan, I have for 20+ years now, but the last 3 have hurt the most. No doubt about it. Even going (1-15) in 1996 felt much better than this Rex Ryan Era falling a part. Maybe it was because I was younger, but just how I feel. I think, as I explained, it was because the team was so close.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

2009 complete shit?

12. 1968jetsfan

47 years as a Jets fan, I have no problem taking the long view at this point. I'm old enough, barely, to remember the Jets winning a SB so I have that to hang on to. But I also suffered through the abysmal 70's. And frankly right now this team's roster looks a lot like '75 Jets, except instead of an struggling young QB the '75 Jets had a clearly finished Namath. But past the QB spot there were only a couple of good pieces and a lot of roster trash. I don't think the Current roster is that bad, but it's close.

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

This was Kottite like for me. Made worse by the Wilson INT in the SB.

'82 is my biggest disappointment. '86 hurts, Vinny going down in '99 was brutal, Herm's knee job in Pittsburgh was tough. The Byers fumble in Denver in '98 makes me ill still....anyway enuff of that... lol

Fate just hasn't gone our way. We've gotten close several times but fell short.

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

3 total draft picks is complete shit. the fact that the top 10 qb was not a top 10 qb is complete shit, the fact that the next pick was a guy who was a pretty good change of pace rb who fizzled out in 4 years and has less than 700 yards combinined in the last two years. when your 6th round pick who is a decent offensive lineman is the crowning jewel 6 years later i would say it was total shit.

simply the fact that there were 3, count em 3 picks and none of them are still jets makes it total shit.

mezzavo, wewantsapp and Br4d like this.
  15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The downward spiral has been absolute hell. It's pretty much turned me into a darksider, I can't expect much as a defense mechanism.

The Patriots winning absolutely disgusts me to no end.

mezzavo, Br4d and The Dark Knight like this.
  16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Good post
    Makes my mind scramble with many many bad memories through the decades- cant bring myself to type them

I guess this is what a lovable loser Cubs fan feels like, minus the lovable part

17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

God the offseason sucks. 9 weeks till something memorable happens. Until then it's more shit like this.

LIJetsFan and Pocket Jet like this.
  18. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

To be fair to Byars it wasn't just him against Denver. That game haunts me to this day. We had 6 turnovers to Denver's ZERO! Even the great Curtis Martin fumbled;
    and had only 14 yards rushing on 13 carries, yet, somehow, we were st
    To be fair to Byars, it wasn't just him against Denver. That game haunts me to this day. We had 6 turnovers to Denver's ZERO! Even the great Curtis Martin fumbled;
    and had only 14 yards rushing on 13 carries, yet, somehow, we were still up 10-0 at one point!

19. phatnols

phatnols Member

victor Cruz 99 yard play was the downfall....

Both teams 7-7 and jets leading 7-3 and the rest is history.,,,.

Then we got to NOT watch the Giants beats the Patriots in the super bowl.

Puke

20. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner