If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, he isn't, but he's light years better than anyone who will be in the draft for the next two years.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You think wrong. Look at the Colts this past season. Their team sucked, but Luck carried them into the playoffs. It's a hell of a lot easier to find players at other positions than it is the franchise QB. You guys that want to build the rest of the team and then hope you find the QB have it assbackwards, and don't have a clue what you're talking about. QB is THE most important position on a football team. You have to do everything you can to find a QB when you don't have one. That's even more important when your team has been as long without a quality QB as the Jets have.

3. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

You missed the part where I talked specifically about guys like Luck, Elway, Manning, etc. QB is indeed the most important position on the field. That said, in my opinion, it's silly to spend high draft picks on guys who might someday be a good NFL QB if given time to develop. Question, is Marcus Mariota so good that a team couldn't get a QB as good as, or better, in the draft next year ? Or, if the Jets take Mariota, will they make the playoffs next year or even the year after ?

What I'm advocating is that absent someone like Luck, Elway or Manning, you focus on building the team first. Have an offensive line that could actually protect the QB. Have a running game that will prevent the defense from pinning their ears back and going after your QB. Have some weapons for the guy to throw to. THEN you fire all cylinders and make a move for a "Franchise QB".

4. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Doubt that very seriously. Jameis Winston is the best QB in this year's draft and he wasn't even on the radar 2 years ago. So, you don't know who might be available 2 years from now.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

My point exactly.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

So after making all these great improvements with our high draft picks you expect to be picking in the top five two years from now so that we are in a position to draft a top QB?

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The QB's who have won Super Bowls in the Peyton Manning era and where they were taken in the draft:

2014 - Tom Brady (199)
    2013 - Russell Wilson (75)
    2012 - Joe Flacco (18)
    2011 - Eli Manning (1)
    2010 - Aaron Rodgers (24)
    2009 - Drew Brees (32)
    2008 - Ben Roethlisberger (11)
    2007 - Eli Manning (1)
    2006 - Peyton Manning (1)
    2005 - Ben Roethlisberger (11)
    2004 - Tom Brady (199)
    2003 - Tom Brady (199)
    2002 - Brad Johnson (227)
    2001 - Tom Brady (199)
    2000 - Trent Dilfer (6)
    1999 - Kurt Warner (UDFA)
    1998 - John Elway (1)

The only guys drafted #1 who have won Super Bowls in this era are the guys who were no-brainer #1's. The only guys aside from them drafted in the top 10 who have won Super Bowls were game managers brought in by a loaded team to manage the game for them.

Nobody other than the Mannings and Elway have won a Super Bowl for the team that drafted them in the top 10.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

And that will change with Luck

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't think you need to be a great athlete to be a great QB at the next level. I also don't think Mariota could thrive in the Titans vertical offense because he doesn't have the elite arm strength Whisenhunt is looking for. Here is where I am going to agree w/ you. I do believe he could be an excellent fit for the Jets if given time to develop. I like Mariota's attitude, and I think him and Bowles would have a great relationship together - watching Bowles interviews, I think there personalities would really mesh well together - both not about talk, but are about working hard and improving.

I don't think the Jets will pass on Mariota unless there is a significant offer that can't be refused (and the Jets would have to assess Mariota and believe he is not the guy). I truly believe Mariota will be there OTC @ 6.

If we don't get Mariota, it's not the end of the world - we can find a QB in the next draft that we can win with and that guy can be a 10 yr starter. I don't view Connor Cook as a mediocre prospect not one bit. He doesn't have Mariota's ceiling, but this guy can produce at the next level, he can be our version of Joe Flacco.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Now here I agree with you, and the other thing is adding that leaving SMith as the Jets' starter means the team will go nowhere even if the FO adds some high priced FA's. To be clear they would probably win more than 4 games, of course.

But playoffs? PLAYOFFS? With Smith?

Ain't happening.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yup, my bad. Was partying a bit too much last nite when I wrote that. I need less perjorative insults for trolls.

_

12. Big Blocker

Fwiw, I look at it this way. I come here to talk football. Tebots by definition do not know football. So I don't talk to Tebots.

Works for me.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Haha you COULD look at it that way, or you could say most teams have won a SB with a 1st round draft pick except in rare cases like a Tom Brady or an amazing defense

14. JStokes

Yeah, that dude used to stalk me over at JI and trolled the shit out of that board till he was permabanned.

I unfortunately took the bait. Anyone who defends Tebow as an NFL quarterback as fervently as he did does not know anything about football and is the last person who should be making any value judgements on QBs prospects. And I really don't need advice from non-Jet fans on how we should build our franchise, notwithstanding his completely illogical plan based on hope and faulty red herrings.

Tebow fans. Like a hemmaroid that won't go away.

_

15. JStokes

Yeah, that Brady anomaly is the basis for a lot of Brad's nonsense.

_

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Luck won't change anything, he was a no-brainer #1.

The point is that teams picking QB's in the top 10 haven't win Super Bowls by doing so except when the guy was such a good prospect that there was no debate about taking him. This is probably because teams picking in the top 10 don't have the talent to exploit a good QB prospect and unless the guy is head and heels above the pack he's just going to get pulled into the muck.

17. Big Blocker

Exactly. Don't you hate the argument that you don't need a first round Qb because look at Tom Brady? Brady is so obviously an exception to the rule. And Brad knows that, yet he posts crap like that list. It's almost troll like.

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is a player that I would like at 6 besides taking a chance on a QB. If we traded Wilkerson, I would look at Leonard Williams since I think he's going to be an absolute monster. There wont be a CB worthy of the six pick. Maybe a Shane Ray type pass rusher, but he could be gone, and might not be worth it anyway. There are WR's everywhere. There are RB's everywhere.

I have no problem taking a chance here. But like I said, if the Jets aren't prepared to sit him and let him learn, I would rather just trade the picks and load up everywhere else.

19. Big Blocker

I thought the point was just draft the next Tom Brady. Preferably in the sixth round.

20. One eye

One eye Member

Excellent post. I totally agree. You have to understand that the Jets are REALLY about adding competition this year. You can tell from the rhetoric - they are not looking for starters, or specific talents (with the exception of CB b/c of the desperation), just adding more competition to each room.

So if you're at 6, and you have a chance to go into the season with Geno starting, and Mariota in the wings, man, I would take that in heartbeat. It's the most important position in football, and you have a chance to have two young guns in the room, both legitimate starting options, both battling it out on a daily basis. Sign me up!