If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Let's say your scenario plays out. We trade with Cleveland, and with those picks we add an elite WR, RB, OLB, & FS. With poor QB play, the team will still go nowhere. I like Geno, but he just doesn't appear to have the football IQ necessary to succeed. I'm sure that Gailey will get him playing better, but how much better? Chances are that it won't ever be enough. It doesn't matter how good the rest of the roster is when you have a bad QB.

Now think of the Colts this past season and how Luck carried that team, and how Peyton carried them for years before that. Rogers has carried GB when their D & OL were bad. Heck, Brady carried NE for years. You guys need to understand that passing on a potential franchise QB for multiple picks is fool's gold. It's not going to get the team where we want to be.

As for Cook, Hackenberg & 12 gauge (whoever that is), they aren't a scab on Winston's or Mariota's ass. None of them have come close to putting up the stats. wins, seasons, collegiate careers, or playing the way those two have. There's no comparison.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If you accept the premise that Mariota is not a very good QB my posts make a lot more sense.

You seem to look at him as the second coming of Johnny Unitas.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Collegiate statistics and wins do not correlate to NFL success. At the end of the day, you have to look at all of the college QBs, observe what they do well, does it translate to the next level and their football IQ. To me, that's how I look at college QBs. I think the QBs listed above may not have as much potential, but they can win in the pocket and ultimately could help an NFL franchise win games.

Both will be closely watched next season - I declined to talk about "12 gauge" because well, no one has film on him.

4. NCJetsfan

No, but you certainly seem to see him as Bubby Brister or another Sanchez or worse. Players come into the NFL every season and have to adapt to different systems and ways of doing things. It's only recently that many collegiate programs began using a 3-4 D alignment. Before that, NFL teams had to speculate on how or if, DEs would adapt to standing up and playing OLB.

Mariota is smart, has an excellent arm, has great athleticism, is a hard worker, and has great character. I'd put my money on a kid like that every time. Those types will succeed much more often than they fail. He's no Sanchez with one year of starting experience in college. I think this kid would flourish in any offensive system.

5. NCJetsfan

No, but talent, football IQ, great athleticism, great work ethic and character do. I think Mariota could thrive in any offensive system. It will probably take him a year, maybe even two (but I doubt it), but then you'd have a great QB where you could compete for the Lombardi Trophy every season if you have a good CS and some talent around him. He's not Peyton or Luck or Rodgers who can carry a team on his own, but give him a little help, and he'll have you in the thick of the hunt. If the Jets pass on him, especially after passing on Teddy last year. They don't deserve to ever have another quality QB and they deserve the mediocrity and depths of suck that we've seen for most of our lives.

6. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

I will reiterate something I've said on this board over and over again...Mariota will NOT be available for us at 6. I STILL think the Bucs take him at 1, and if for some reason they don't I would not be shocked if Titans take Mariota at 2 or some team makes an RG3 type trade up to get him...for him to be at 6 would be a miracle for us

almbleamal likes this.
  7. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

Umm, you do know that they have a draft EVERY year. It's not just a one time thing. Mariota isn't a once in a decade talent.

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

+ 1000000000

_

9. JStokes

You're a Tebow freakazoid, you have no idea how to evaluate franchise QBs.

Just stop.

_

JoeyStylez likes this.
  10. Number1

Number1 Active Member

In my opinion he will be the next Geno unless he sits for a year or two. Jets can't afford that, trade the pick.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We are on a catch 22. As much as I would love either QB on this team, let us not forget for one second that neither will be remotely ready to lead this team this year. So, if we choose to trade for some superior talent this year in other areas, it is incorrect to think we will not get better on the short term, but the long term problem just gets worst. Matter of fact we will definitely improve immediately, but the crux of the issue with having the right QB might be compounded, and we might not draft that early for some time.

12. Demosthenes9

No need to stop cupcake. Ad hominems aside, you still haven't offered anything to refute any part of my position.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Mariota is sitting there at the 6th pick this is what they do.

First they pop a bottle of champagne and toast the fact that the Jets just had a stroke of luck that the franchise never has had.

They send calls from the Eagles and Browns and every other team straight to voicemail. Maybe smoke a cigar if that tickles there fancy.

Then they get the card up to Roger Goodell with Marcus fuckin Mariotas name on it.

Simple as pie.

JoeyStylez and hwismer like this.
  14. JStokes

Hahahahaaa what a douche.

Dude, you're a Tebot and not a Jets fan and there is nothing you could possibly add to this discussion that would have any relevance to the Jets.

You don't know shit about QB prospects and no one will take you seriously until you admit that.

Freak.

_

15. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Have you tried making pie before? It's not all that easy.

16. Demosthenes9

Come on now cupcake, you can do better than that. All you've managed to do so far is run your farking mouth and throw out some insults. Can't say that I'm surprised by that. What you haven't done is provide any kind of credible argument to invalidate anything that I have said. Can't say that I'm surprised by that either.

17. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Keep poking and prodding him.

18. JStokes

You sound really gay.

Being a Tebot I'm not surprised.

_

19. Demosthenes9

Not even close sunshine. But what would it matter if I was ? It wouldn't make you less stupid.

Go ahead and explain why a team with a ton of holes should take a QB like Mariota with a high pick. A QB who isn't NFL ready now, and probably won't be for at least a year. One who isn't a "once in a generation" player like Luck or Elway.

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

C'mon Stokes...you're better than that.