If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

And there is also the issue of whether Kelly may be the only coach who can get the most out of him.

Maybe Mariota becomes a fine player for the Jets but he becomes otherworldly in Philly.

If we traded him to Philly and he becomes a HOF QB, maybe he never reaches that height with the Jets.

But I digress, I don't think he's there at 6 for us to take or trade the pick.

_

2. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Titans trade with Philly would seem the most logical event based on both their needs.

I see us getting White if we find a half decent QB in FA or perhaps Collins if we can't.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am glad you seem doubtful about Mariota being at 6, and am not beign the least bit snarky. I appreciate your thinking on his talent and how he wold be a god pick for the Jets. But as things presently stand I think someone above the Jets will take him.

Count me as a get Bradford voter. If they do that and Mariota does fall to 6, the Jets can handle such a stroke of fortune.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This does assume though that Chip Kelly believes our trade overtures. If we lead him on and then take Mariota on the 6 when he could have worked a deal for the 5 he'll have egg on his face. He'll also hate the Jets but that's maybe beside the point.

5. JStokes

I don't think Mariota gets past 1, I really don't.

I know we've heard all the noise about how ready Winston is and Florida and he fits in TBs system and he's a pro-style QB.

I don;t think there is ANY way TB passes on Mariota.

I find it most likely that Winston is there at 6.

And while not my preferred choice, I would run to the dais with my card.

_

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

A++. My feelings exactly. Being saying that for a while now.
    Rams apparently have a different agenda but you never know.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The fact that Lovie sort of endorsed Winston, stating he would be comfortable having him as the face of the Bucks, tells me he might not even be in the running.

8. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

The only one I have seen is Fowler and he is one diligent QB hunter. His motor does not stop.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Winston falls to the Jets, I will cream my pants. Actually chances are the Titans would take him @ 2.

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I really do pray that Mariota is gone and the decision is taken well out of our hands. He could be other-worldly or he could be three years of frustration and false hope. Like you, I'd opt for a known commodity and bet against other-worldly.

bmfc1 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Shhhh!!! Bite your tongue.

12. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I think we go olb if not qb

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't understand that way of thinking. The Jets will never be a consistent winner or have a real shot at winning a SB until they get a quality QB. Hopefully, if Bowles is any good at all as a HC or Mac as a talent evaluator/GM, the Jets won't be in a position to draft a potential franchise QB again any time soon. That means that if they have an opportunity to draft Mariota, they HAVE to take it and not take the safe (chicken) way out. Aspiring to greatness requires being willing to take risks. You'll never get there by taking the "safe" way all the time.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think we need to nail down what a quality quarterback is exactly. Are we looking for a John Elway / Steve Young that can drag us kicking and screaming to the Superbowl or do we want a Trent Dilfer / Alex Smith that can manage our game without turnovers until our defense / rushing attack can win the game for us?

1. There is no elite, sure thing at quarterback in this draft as we have had in other years (Andrew Luck, Eli Manning, Matt Stafford, John Elway, etc.).

Even Winston who I and others think can be very good has off the field baggage. Mariota has bigger question marks.

Maybe we should wait for our pitch instead of swinging at the first thing that comes our way.

2. The most important part of becoming a franchise quarterback is mental. Scouts have difficulty spotting them before they play in the NFL. Tom Brady, Russel Wilson, Brett Favre and others weren't even drafted in the first round.

This year's crop (after the first two) and next year's QBs don't look like much but Kurt Warner was bagging groceries before injuries forced the Rams to give him a chance.

3. Quarterback has a high bust rate. Just ask the Oakland Raiders how JaMarcus Russell did for them (and he went #1 overall).

Who came out on top of the RGIII trade, the Redskins who got RGIII or the Rams who traded down and have one of the best defenses in the league with the extra picks they got from the Skins?

If Winston falls to #6 taking him could be the smart move but I would rather roll the dice and wait on QB than blow picks moving up or settling for Mariota. Trading down for extra picks in a deep draft is never a bad thing.

bmfc1 likes this.
  15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't have any reason to think Mariota would likely fail with the Jets. But even if he worked out he imo would not start this coming season, or should not, and would not if the Jets had a better alternative than Smith. Which is my fervent hope. I've thought about the alternatives by trade and FA, and Bradford is probably the best fit in that regard. It would just take a lot more to get him than just picking Mariota if somehow he fell to the Jets, and you'd as I say still need to get a vet Qb.

If the Jets had Bradford and Mariota and Winston (I still think TB takes Winston, which is why I don't talk about him) are not there at 6, we can live with that just fine. Frankly, I would be thrilled if they got Bradford.

16. JStokes

I wish there was an "Unlike" button.

_

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If he's there at 6, which is possible if he falls past Tampa Bay, I think the Jets take him. I don't think he's a very good fit for Whisenhunt's offense in Tennessee, and he could be a decent fit in Gailey's offense. I certainly don't consider myself a Mariota supporter, but who knows if we'll be in this position again any time soon.

He has to sit though. Like seriously has to sit. A lot of people think that Mariota has the IQ to evolve his game to become a pocket passer while maintaining his ability to make plays with his legs. That could very well be true, but he isn't going to learn all that on the fly. He needs to sit for at least to year (maybe two) to work on it. His mentality currently is one read and bail. If the Jets play him at that stage of his career, they're setting him up to fail.

Go into the season with either Geno or Hoyer/Bradford/Hill as the starter and the other as the backup. Mariota is third string. Later on in the season, he can be brought in in blowouts. Jets need to show restraint in this situation, and not give in to the fans and media. If Mariota learns how to be a pro QB, we could be in good shape for the future. If the Jets screw this up, we'll be in the same position in 3 years that we're in now.

cgrec likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Many people have doubts that Mariota is going to be a quality QB. The Jets are going to need to really buckle down on this one. They can't take Mariota just to sell tickets. He has to be good or the franchise will be in a worse place in 2 years than it is now.

It's better than 50/50 at this point that Mariota will be sitting there on the 6.

19. JStokes

I agree with this 100%.

_

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

At least we can agree on that much.