If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

given the lack of any top tier rated QBs in last years draft there is no way I would have burned my 1st rounder on a QB given that - at that time - Smith was showing real promise.

If we had had a really high pick and there was an Andrew Luck caliber prospect then sure, go for it, but given what was available it was absolutely the right move - at that time - to have used our early round picks elsewhere. going into this draft if Mariota falls then I am all for it - if not then no biggie as we will almost certainly have a top 5 pick next year and we can see what QB prospects are available then.

2. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

I doubt philly would give up their top 2 picks for the next 2 years AND foles

but with that said, if they're that dumb you pull the trigger every time

3. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Foles, first round and next years 2nd.

We've got cap space, we've got picks and a few players with potential - I'd rather take a known quantity in Foles as he's a) better then any potential FA and b) got a few years in him.

4. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

I think you have to start negotiations with this years and next years 1st rounder

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain one thing to me. I see this "trade Mariota for a boatload of picks", and I don't understand it. Why on earth would Philly trade with the Jets for Mariota?

Typically when you trade up, the idea behind it is to jump another team so you can get the guy you want. No one is jumping Chicago/Atlanta/Giants to trade with us to draft Mariota. The team too look at for a trade is Oakland. Philly wont want to trade with Washington as they're rivals.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this makes no sense. if we are willing to trade out of 6 why wouldn't philly trade with us. Who says Chicago isn't going to pick Mariotta or NYG? They both have aging and declining vets. Or another team can move back into the first or up in the first to one of those spots.

Frankly if Mariota fell to Chicago or NYG I wouldn't be shocked at all to see either team draft him.

Atlanta would be in a prime position as well to field offers to a team that perhaps wants to trade back into the first or whatever. The longer the round goes on the more possibilities open up.

7. TurkJetFan

I agree with the need. But to say "if he has a chance"....really it's the draft, everyone has a chance to be the guy. I don't think the franchise should make decisions to avoid message board second guessing or "if by chance..." Bottom line is, if the Jets staff feels Mariota is their guy, then YES they should draft him. If they don't they should not draft him for the sake of drafting him, because he MIGHT be the guy.

This is the QB position. I'm not willing to yet again say "IF IF IF" and it sets us back yet another 3 -4 years...The next QB they draft, they need to be sure within their 4 walls that he is going to be their guy. Period. By cotinuing this, "he might be" mentality this franchise continues time and again to set themselves back for years at a time by doing so. This is the damn QB position not a coin toss.

Mark had 16 games college experience, but he was their guy and almost made it work.
    FOCKING Idzik drafted Geno saying "well hmph he might be good, its good value let's mortgage our immediate future on it"

No thanks.

Give me a guy we are convinced on, not a guy who's just there but we aren't sold on.

If the Jets are SOLD on this as the franchise guy then YES PLEASE PICK HIM.

If they aren't sold on this fact, trade the FOCK back.

8. jcass10

Chicago I could understand, but with Cutler making crazy money and them having a terrible defense I have a hard time believing they'll take a QB. In regards to the Giants, I'm fairly confident that they aren't taking a QB. They gave Eli some weapons and he played fantastic once the line stabilized. I suppose anything is possible, but I doubt it.

In the case that Philly actually thinks that the Giants or Bears are going to take him, I still think they would trade with Oakland to jump us and Washington, both QB needy teams.

If we were to pass on Mariota at 6 (which I doubt we do), I would look to Philly to trade with Atlanta in an attempt to jump St. Louis/Cleveland/Houston.

If the Jets trade back, it wont be with Philly so they can take Mariota IMO.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Let me just say about Chicago that I have seen media discussions in Chicago talking about how they would pick Mariota if he is still on the board. They have a major political issue there, with the new regime inheriting the adverse contract on Cutler from the previous regime. Picking Mariota would be very popular with their fanbase.

From Philly's point of view they have to assume if for some crazy reason Mariota falls to the Jets, and the Jets pass on him, that Chicago is going to take him. and given the politics of the Bears' situation, I dont see them doing a deal for Foles when they still have Cutler (who they would have, in this scenario, hve had to either trade before hand, not knowing they could get Mariota, or not look for Foles in a deal - no way Chicago wants to have Foles, Cutler and Mariota all on the roster).

The Jets make the best trade partner for the Eagles. Assuming Mariota falls to NY, though, which I still have substantila doubts about.

Ftr Cutler has his issues, but I don't know if it fair to call him in decline.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Cutler isn't in decline, he is what he has always been. an overrated tease of a QB who no team will ever win anything with.

11. TurkJetFan

Totally agreed, and fair enough on Cutler.

12. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think the issue here is that, in expressing our opinions, we're trying to put ourselves in the minds of the FO given what WE feel about the player.

If the REAL McCags and Gailey and Bowles watch Mariota's combine and pro days and film and interview and he absolutely blows or it is so obvious that he's not going to be a player, then of course they pass him up. If, on the other hand Mariota blows them away, they'll sprint to the dais.

We have no idea what any of them truly think about the player because we don't have 1/1000th the information they have.

We're just guessing here. Some of us are guessing that he's going to be the real deal so there is no scenario in our minds that we'd trade the pick--not for all the picks in the world.

Other folks here don't fully like the player, so they are willing to trade him for a boatload of picks.

None of us know. We're just spitballing it here.

_

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. Big Blocker

Au contraire, Chicago would almost definitely take Mariota. Those guys are desperate to get out from under Cutler's contract. It would be bad enough to have to live with it one more year, with him as the starter with Mariota waiting in the wings. But don't think Chicago doesn't know that next year's draft is likely to be weak at Qb, too. They need for all kinds of reasons to get a new Qb, even if they end up stuck with Cutler for one more year (in their way of thinking).

14. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Actually as weak as next year's QB class is, I could see Connor Cook playing there for a long time.

_

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree, because I totally disagree with your thinking on the matter.

16. TurkJetFan

Agreed, that's why I'm deferring to if the Jets are convinced he's the guy pick him if not trade down thinking. I don't know, none of us really do. They are the pro's.

My only thing is, I don't want the FO to just pick him if they aren't 100% sold on him as the future.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree that it was the right move. No player is as valuable as the QB. I had seen Teddy play a lot. He WAS a top tier prospect. He may not have been of the caliber of Peyton Manning or Luck, but he was a top tier prospect. I hadn't seen Carr play but maybe once, but with the value of QBs, and I think he was rated a 1st round prospect, he would have been a reasonable pick as well.

I disagree that Smith was showing real promise. His play improved, but it was still far from where it needed to be.

18. Big Blocker

I get your pov here, but there's one player in all this who at least in his mind has reason to think he knows more about Mariota than the other players, and that is Kelly, from all reports. How much should he really invest in their mutual association with Oregon? And Mariota's play in the kind of system Kelly seems to really want to install? The logic here all along has been that Kelly will think he has some better reason than everyone eles in the room to think Mariota will succeedwith him where he might not on some other team. This after all certainly has some surface plausibilty to it. And Kelly is in position to offer fair compensation, and probably then some, to make that trade.

The irony I see here is the greater the perception that the Jets would take Mariota for themselves, that merely increases the incentive for Philly to make a deal with the Titans. So while I don't mind talking about why I think a deal with Philly would make sense to the Jets, I remain doubtful any of this happens.

19. jcass10

Can you clarify why drafting Mariota would get them out of Cutler's contract? Like they would let him walk at the end of his contract if they draft Mariota? I think Cutler is gone either way at the end of his contract. I guess having Mariota would make it easier to not re-sign Cutler, but he's gone at the end of that contract regardless.

At this point all I can go on is what I have read/reports, things like that (there isn't much else to really go on). I haven't read anything about the Bears being interested in trading up. What I do know is that Chicago has an embarrassingly bad defense, and a damn good pass rusher should fall to them.

Like Stokes brings up a lot, this is all speculation, but I would be shocked if the Bears took a QB. Hopefully Philly thinks that Chicago is a threat, because then they will trade the house to us to jump Chicago, but I doubt it.

20. Big Blocker

It has been apparent all along that the answer for Chicago is to TRADE Cutler, but they are likely reluctant to do that without another Qb to play the game.

I found a discussion of them trading up on Google. Last week. If you're interested, do the research.