If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I said multiple first rounders. If it was a couple seconds and thirds, I may stand pat at 6.

I would rather have the 20th pick this year, and two more first rounders in addition to our own. "more than likely going to be lower than 20"? That's complete conjecture and you have no clue what is going to happen. 5 first rounder's in 3 years would be great if you don't think Mariota is a franchise QB.

Jets best offensive player and best defensive player (both elite and pro bowlers) were both taken after 20. There will be a ton of talent there at 20. You are way underselling picks 20 and up.

As big of a hole as QB is, Jets have way more needs, and if you don't think Mariota is the QB of the future you take 2 additional firsts every time.

TurkJetFan likes this.
  2. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Unfortunately noone will ever give up their 20th plus two additional first rounders. Not even a desperate Chip Kelly. We are talking eagles 20 plus next year's first and 2 seconds.
    No way I would do that.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Just trying to explain myself.

Jets will more than likely be picking at 6. And if they aren't, its not because someone traded for Mariota.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I could see the Jets working several deals on draft day, one of which was the 6 for the 20 + next year's 1st + the 52 + next year's 2nd. Then they get down a bit further in the round and trade the 20 + 52 for the 11 to get the player they really wanted all along and now they have that player plus the Eagles 1st and 2nd's next year instead of just taking the guy *they really wanted all along* on the 6.

We have no idea who the Jets will see as most-valued given their wants and needs but trading down the 6 instead of exercising it and also getting that player would be a coup.

5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

An elite Pass Rusher? The only guy on the top 10 list that isnt a d-linemen is Shane Ray and I'm not sold on him. And the Jets have a young upcoming d-line and I'd rather they not place another high draft pick on the dline unless the guy is JJ Watt. As for WR's who is the top pick? Some say Amari Cooper, some say Kevin White. Amari Cooper is not Calvin Johnson.

My point is if the Jets pass on Mariota at 6, and select a pass rusher or WR at 6, that guy needs to be a rock star or the management team will be fired for it. So maybe the better play is to trade for a bunch of draft picks. And I agree with the above that Foles should be part of the deal.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That would not only be taking a huge risk, but would mean that in his first draft he has to find both a trade down and trade up partner, which isn't so easy. I'm not saying that it won't happen. It certainly could, but it would shock me beyond words..

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The trade down partner is obvious or we wouldn't seriously be discussing this. The trade up partner would have to be somebody the Jets had identified as willing to trade down if they went that route.

It would not shock me at all if the Jets took a player commonly seen as a 10th pick value on the 6th pick. When you're making your first big pick as GM you want to make sure you hit on that pick. If the Jets have somebody they really like in the vicinity they're fairly likely to just bite the bullet and make the pick.

8. NCJetsfan

In addition to Ray, I have seen both Randy Gregory and Dante Fowler projected as top 10 picks. Of the three, at the moment, I like Fowler best.

I agree that using another pick on the DL would be stupid and a waste. An OLB pass rusher is not a DL, however. Adding a young stud pass rusher, would greatly improve our secondary, and would perhaps eliminate the need for so many blitzes, but even if not, would help insure their sucess.

No, Amari Cooper isn't Calvin Johnson, but then he doesn't have to be. He's projected that high currently. He could drop following the Combine and Pro Workout day, or could stay where he is. White isn't projected that high, but could rise following the Combine. Some think he's a better prospect and more talented than Cooper. If neither Mariota nor Winston are there at #6, I'd be thrilled to get either Cooper or White if the pick wasn't considered a reach.

Why would they be fired for passing on Mariota if he turns out only to be a Alex Smith-type QB or worse? I don't think that would happen, but it could. Similarly, it would definitely hurt and look bad if they pass on Mariota and he becomes a true franchise QB, but if their pass rusher was a solid, quality starter, and the rest of the picks panned out and were good players, they wouldn't be fired for passing on Mariota. The only way I could see that happening is if they pass on Mariota, he becomes a star AND they miss on most of the rest of their picks.

9. NCJetsfan

I disagree that the trade down partner is obvious. I think it's not realistic to say that Philly would trade with us. Unless they're stupid, they're not going to take that risk. If they really want Mariota, they're going to move up ahead of us.

I agree with your second paragraph. That's why I don't see Mac taking Green-Beckham, and he may even would wait until the last second to take Winston.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They should have that policy every single year, not just in the first big pick of a GMs tenure. NFL teams are so stupid when they factor in perceived "value" in drafting players. Above all, where the person is valued by so-called experts means absolutely nothing on Sundays. Leave that crap for the Mel Kipers of the world to discuss and draft the player you really like & believe in regardless of the spot.

Br4d and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

This. Except we'd get WAY more than that.
    1. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

12. TurkJetFan

not necessarily true. talks begin way ahead of time and philly will understand where we stand. we at the same time wouldn't be so stupid to make philly panic by hopping ahead of us, and lose a deal with them.

Our best bet is to work out a deal with Philly is Mariotta is there when we pick, so they don't panic and we can get max value from the spot. Also consider, the team at #5 will almost definitely take the stance of, it's a higher pick, and threaten philly with us, driving their price WAY WAY up. If we've got a deal worked out with Philly they won't care and won't make the deal w the 5 spot.

13. Garrison Nauman

Garrison Nauman Active Member

Maybe we can get some first and second rounders and Johnny ;D

14. TurkJetFan

i read (don't have link) the general premise at 6 would be

#6 pick
    for
    Foles
    This years 1st and 2nd
    Next years 1st and 2nd

While that may not be exactly it, if it's in the realm we'd be killing it. Something like this is only possible for a variety of reasons.
    1) Chip LOVES LOVES LOVES Mariotta
    2) Chip has 3 years left on his deal with no QB certainty. Time to put a stake in the ground.
    3) Chip now has FULL CONTROL over these decisions.

=

there WILL be a HUGE trade in the top 6 on draft day. If Mariotta falls to us, trust me when I tell you, we will have won the lottery.

15. NOVAJET

Thats all well and good but when do we get a QB? Don't say Foles is the QB because I watched him get incredibly lucky on a slew of balls he threw up for grabs in 2013 then show his true colors in 2014. He may be a good stop gap guy but if you want the future or at least a shot at getting a future franchise QB this trade sucks.
    We get Foles....yay,
    We get this years #20 but give up our #6, Ouch
    We get a late second this year and next year probably
    We get next years first (mid to late round)
    When do we get a shot at a franchise QB? If there was one next year we would have to trade both picks to get in the position we are now which makes this trade silly, if there is not one next year then what? Hope we get a franchise QB in free agency? Give me a shot at a franchise QB, if it does not pan out then fine but imo it's a chance you have to take until you find one.

16. PulseJet

Thats my point, I think if there is any ambiguity over who the #1 WR is any WR selected would be considered a reach and a whiff by the management.

If Mariota performs like RG3 in his first year or Foles in his first, and the Jets took Fowler at 6, they will get crucified by the media. Better to trade down and say yes we liked Mariota but we got a QB, an edge rusher and a RB and two draft picks next year out of the deal.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Exactly.

The QB isn't everything. It's the only thing.

All else is secondary.

_

18. TurkJetFan

If the Jets believe Mariotta is "the guy" then it's a moot point. But there are valid questions as to if he is that guy. And if the Jets don't feel that way maximizing the value and bringing in a stop gap, for 1 - 2 years is the way to go. Just because Mariotta is there and highly touted does not mean he's a franchise QB. But again, if the Jets believe he is I trust that and by all means pick him despite what the offer is.

Hell if the Jets firmly believe Mariotta is a franchise QB I want them to freakin trade up not down!

19. NOVAJET

If Mariota even has a chance at being the guy I think you have to do it. I truly believe we will not be picking in the top ten again for a while so our chances at getting our guy in the future are slim or at best at least unknown. Can you imagine if we don't take him and he turns out to be a star somewhere else, it would be just like Peyton or Favre... 30 years from now when the Jets are without a SB and I am in a rocking chair with my laptop people on this board will be saying "what if we got Mariota at #6" I just can't take that chance.

20. PulseJet

Agreed.
    Yep, that is why if he is there they will likely either take him or trade out for a mountain of picks.