Free Agency shopping list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Truth4U2, Feb 5, 2015.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

you only save about 200K cutting Kerley this year.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Welker had to settle for six and he was the best FA slot receiver two years ago. I don't think he'll get over that. If the Packers pay a receiver it's going to be Jordy Nelson.whose presently on a 4 yr/39 mil deal. With 14 guaranteed.

3. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Welker was 31. Cobb is 24. Cobb is getting much more than 2 years 12 million.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give it to him.

5. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

58 million in cap room and you wouldn't spend 6-8 mil a year on the most likely top FA WR to hit the market who hasn't even hit his prime yet?

JetLifeLo likes this.
  6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Not him. We are ok at slot receiver. I just hope our new OC utilizes him. Same goes for the tight end position. Brady is very good but a part of his success is a smart game plan. And Belichick knows how to incorporate the tight end and slot receiver into his offense.

7. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Id have no problem giving Cobb 9 mil a year

almbleamal, jetlife21 and JetLifeLo like this.
  8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

If we're going to run a spread were going to need sharp route runners. We have that in Deck and Kerley. We already have a big body in the middle in Jace. IMO Cobb is the best route runner in this years draft class, and would be more effective than having a "True #1". "True #1's" hardly ever win RINGS.. all of todays house big hold names at WR are ringless. They take too much cap space and can be shut down if teams really want to make that their focus. Plus in our division... you wanna pay a guy that has to play up against revis twice a year? and grimes? and Buffalo's solid passing defense now ran by Rex? ehhhh... I'd rather have a pick you poison type offense with as many weapons that can hurt you in different ways as possible.

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  9. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I just read on Rotoworld that Mallett is projected to start in Houston and that it could mean Fitzpatrick will be released.
    I've said it on here numerous times that he would be the Vet to bring in especially if we get Mariota. He knows the system and thrived in it under Chan. He has plenty of experience and would be perfect to mentor a young QB in his system.
    Honestly if we got Fitz I may even target Petty in the second and go OLB, OL or WR in round one allowing a QB with potential to sit the bench (Aaron Rogers esque) for a couple years.

11. JetLifeLo

Looks like Dez Bryant is finding himself in a DeSean Jackson like situation...kinda. Only diff. is Dallas wants him to be there, they just want him for alot cheaper than his true value. I doubt Dez signs that franchise tag, and a hold out will begin for him. I don't blame him one bit.

Of course they cover up not wanting to pay him his worth by saying he's had "quiet" off the field issues. BULLSHIT. That really pisses me off, where were these issues when Jerry was up in the skybox throwing his X up all season? but maybe we can get on the topic of teams treating their fan favorites like shit and throwing dirt on their name in the process because they are CHEAP or just plain disrespectful in another thread.

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I want to spend that 40 mil on: re-signing our players and the infrastructure including the OL, secondary and linebackers. And of course a good vet Qb to start. You don't have to kill the cap on a few players. You can spend most of that cap space on good role players (like he just did with Babin and Pace) etc. I don't give Cobb 6-9 mil that's crazy. DT I pay, not him.

13. JetLifeLo

Cobb has to be worth at least 6-7 mill. He's coming off a 91 catch 1300 yrd season with 12 TD's (one more than DT last year). He's a better route runner and only 24. DT is the better overall WR i know but just saying, lets not act like Cobb is just some average Joe

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

We have somebody under contract who can play that role. Not as good as Cobb ok, but better than he played last year. If he gets the targets he will give the team production at the slot receiver. The slot receiver position can be a hot stat position. And imo if we had given Kerley those targets last year the offense would have been more productive. I don't think Cobb is going to get 9 mil. Maybe six to 7 but for the Jets I'd spend it in areas of weakness.

#154 pclfan, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  15. JetLifeLo

You forgetting Percy is goner? We can't run a spread with just Decker and Kerley, not enough speed, our division opponents will eat that up. We need a speed guy, that can run good routes. Cobb is the player that will most likely be available and fits that description best. Plus he won't be touching his prime for another year or two he's only 24.

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'd take Cobb over Percy and Kerley. But I wouldn't overpay him, either. Let's see what the Pack does. They know the player well and it will be interesting to see if they want to pay him. If the Jets signed Cobb they would have to cut Percy and trade Kerley. It would be an upgrade. But I think Kerley can do the job.

17. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Umm, wr is a huge weakness. If Decker and Kerley are the top two wrs, the jets will be bad next season. Jets need play makers. Cobb will get 9 mil a year from someone, I just hope it's the jets. Can't win in this league with no talent or tons of unused cap space.

Percy Harvin, who is on the roster right now, makes $10.5M. Cobb is much better than Harvin and younger. Cobb at $9M is probably ten times a better deal than Harvin at $10.5M.

#157 Mario, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  18. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'd go for a big receiver not a slot receiver either in the draft or via free agency. You don't need a big ticket guy making huge money. The Patriots signed Brandon LaFell and he did a nice job for them. The Jeta aren't going to pay Percy the 10.5. I'm not sure they even want him.

19. JetLifeLo

We have a big receiver in Decker and Amaro. We Have Kerley as our #2 right now. That's a slow and shallow ass core. Cobb can be our #2 and put Kerley in the slot. If your looking for a game changing WR, whether he grabs jump balls or knows how to create space with crisp routes it's going to cost us anyway. The only way we can get a guy like that for cheap is if its Kevin White or Amari Cooper in the 1st. But were running a spread so we'll need at least 3 good WR's.

20. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

They also have Tom Brady. He can make average receivers look a lot better than they are.

Another thought I haven't seen mentioned. If Harris bolts to Buffalo, anyone interested in Patrick Willis? There are rumors that he could be a cap casualty because of his $7 million number. We would be trading old and reliable for old and injured, but he is when healthy a much better player than Harris. If the price is right......