If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

and in 2012 under MARTY foles had 6 TDs & 5 INTS.. about a 79 QBR., which is more Geno-like. so chip might have had the most to do with the 2013 "dream season" for Foles.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think Chad Pennington fits the bill here.

He looked unstoppable until the Raiders used bigger and stronger players on OL and DL to effectively punch us in the face in the ploayoffs. Other teams learned from this and Pennington faced a lot more pressure from opposing defenses than he did before that game. He was still a good QB for us but the Joe Montana comparisons came to a halt even before the injuries set in.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If you had to compare rookie yrs - Foles was far more impressive when he was in the game. That's still more TDs then INTs - Geno did not achieve that feat.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Using that theory how did he have so much success in 2003 and 2004? how did he lead a 1 win team to a div title in 2008? That is pure nonsense. he lost to better teams, he wasn't figured out.

actually the Montana comparisons(which were foolish at the time anyway) came to a halt after injuries. in 2003 the broken wrist, in 2004 the rotator cuff yet he still found ways to succeed despite the injuries.

5. JetLifeLo

Geno had his times as a rook like Monday night in ATL (before we found out they suck lol) but I see what you're saying.

6. JetLifeLo

you guys hear Mehta's new news about us "definitely" looking to trade philly mariota if he falls to us? I don't like Mehta so im not trying to believe it, but im sure he knows something

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously? It isn't obvious to you by now that Mehta just makes shit up to stir the pot? It is possible that Mac doesn't like Mariota and could be willing to trade him to Philly, but if you were Philly and coveted Mariota, would you take that chance when the Jets have a crying need for a franchise QB? I wouldn't. I would trade up ahead of the Jets. If Philly really wants Mariota, they're not gonna look to trade with the Jets imo. They're gonna move ahead of them.

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It's a good things he's gone! amiright?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That game highlighted the fact that an aggressive defense that is allowed to pressure the QB will make any QB look bad, especially a guy in his first post-season. Tom Brady would have looked much worse if the Tuck rule didn't bail him out against the same aggressive Raider's defense a year earlier.

Chad still had a chance at real greatness right up until the 2003 off-season and pre-season ko'd him. Punch one was losing Randy Thomas to free agency and the Jets having trouble finding a good replacement. Punch two was losing his best receiver Laveranues Coles to free agency. Punch three was having a journeyman guard in front of him in pre-season and breaking his wrist when an ILB came free on a blitz right up the middle. You really can't screw around with a young QB and come out ahead. If you're not in full support mode and he's not Andrew Luck you're going to wind up with a problem.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. Murrell2878

Did Foles have any behind the back fumbles though?

JetLifeLo likes this.
  11. Murrell2878

Why were they foolish? He ran the WCO much the same way that Montana did. He was accurate and in rhythm with the pass, always knew what to do with the football, very smart, rarely made mistakes. I think the comparisons were good ones.

12. nyjunc

again, I had no problem cleaning house. I just don't believe a GM should be fired after 2 years. he was building for a future he never got to oversee.

Montana is maybe the best of all time, at worst top 5. you want to say a very poor man's Montana I could buy it but that wasn't the talk around here in 2002.

13. Murrell2878

I'm not saying the talk wasn't over-blown, but there were similarities in their games so you can argue it was warranted.

I would normally believe you, but when the GM was as bad as Idzik was you don't hold on to him just for the sake of it being unusual and I'm glad we didn't.

nyjunc likes this.
  14. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

So you feel that NFL executives will make their decisions based on ESPN and the NFL network?

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You get points here from me for remembering that Raiders game as a turning point in Chad's career. I totally agree it was not all about injuries in his case. But in fairness to Chad while the Raiders did game plan very well against him, they also (back then) had the personnel to defend against Chad. Not all teams in teh NFL were going to be as effective.

I already said while some of that is probably what went on with Foles, it was hardly the only factor.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes. Comparing SMith to Foles is a nice way to instantly lose your credibilty.

17. nyjunc

if the Raider game was the turning point why did he have so much success after that game?

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Geno showed the world who the real Napoleon Dynamite was.

Murrell2878 likes this.
  19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Very few teams apart from the Raiders had the monsters on DL to get through Mawae and our offensive line.

Chad still had success but teams learned that using blitzes or bigger linemen to get pressure in his face was the best way to get under his skin. Before facing the added pressure we saw a lot more deep passes and a lot less check downs from Penny.

20. Murrell2878

That works against every QB!!!

nyjunc likes this.