Free Agency shopping list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Truth4U2, Feb 5, 2015.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Gresham sucks. Colt McCoy and Jacquizz also suck. I get the idea of trying to load up on under-the-radar "value" guys.

But put this all together and it's a big waste of money in my opinion. $7.5 M for Cro is way too much. The guy is past 30 years old. Laron cares more about bodybuilding than being good at football. Kendricks is a backup. We already have Nick Folk. No way Torrey Smith signs for $4.8. Baltimore already offered him an extension in excess of $7+ M per before last season and he turned it down.

2. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Yeah unlike what seems like the majority (?) here, I'd have no problem with cutting Kerley. The guy isn't in the same league as Julian Edelman as far as talent and skills and is making a comparable salary (although Edelman also has additional money he can reach in incentives).

Especially if it's to free up cash for Cobb.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Absolute no-brainer. Especially if you get Harvin to restructure, which seems like a very real possibility considering Cobb's rumored price tag. Harvin finished with almost half the receptions, a third of the yards and 1/12th of the TDs as Cobb did. He should be getting $5 mil a year TOPS on the open market.

This is obviously the best case scenario... but Cobb for $9 mil, Harvin for $5 mil and Kerley gone (and maybe not even) is a great offseason for the WR corps.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

"restructure with Harvin" much easier said by a guy on a message board than done. Harvin already said he's not going to take a hometown discount, and why should he. I'm guessing he's gone but if they do keep him it will be because they picked up his large option. I doubt he restructures because he wants to be a part of the great plan here

and while we are on your plan, why cut Kerley? there's no real benefit to axing him in 2015, like mere peanuts in capspace. If they have Decker, Cobb, & Harvin, why not keep Kerley as a solid #4 when you don't need to cut him and save enough to buy a pastrami sandwich.

5. BroadwayAaron

"Restructure with Harvin" is much easier when Cobb signs for $9 mil. Read my last post in response to Toon. There's no way Harvin fetches more than $5 mil on the open market. If we guarantee him that amount for the next 2-3 years, he'd be an idiot not to take it. And this is all assuming we signed Cobb which is a big "if" to begin with.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'm totally on board with this thinking. It's time for a youth movement.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

WR
    CB
    OL

Me. Happy.

8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

My off season Offense moves:
    NYJets Cap space: Appox 62 mio with C Johnson cut and P Harvin renegotiated:
    Offense:
    QB: Mark Sanchez (3 mio per year) Geno, Sanchez and Mariotta is likely the best that can be asked for 2015. My reasoning for adding Sanchez is the best in the field of 2015 free agent QB's and the most known quantity among all potentials. He is only 26, has the most game and playoff experience of any of the free agents, showed improvement in completion percentage (64 percent in Phi) is healthy and showed a strong arm last year. Its tough, I would have never thought of bringing him back, but if I separate why I don't want Sanchez back in NY (Seeing the response from the NY media and fanbase) from who truly would give the Jets the best chance at a successful season, the guy is Sanchez. Let the hazing begin...
    RB: The market will be depressed for FA RB's but I would target CJ Spiller and pay him Chris Johnson's planned salary $3m with a cash up front. Look to upgrade this position in the draft. Let Chris Johnson walk and see what the market is for Bilal Powell and bring him back if the price is right. 2015 RB's: Ivory, Spiller, Draft Pick
    WR/TE: So far you have Decker, Amaro and Kerley. Harvin is a weapon, and if he agreed to a restructure I would consider keeping him around. Figure approximately $3mio per year, comparable to players like Edelman and Golden Tate. Free agency is fairly limited as I think Demaryous Thomas and Randall Cobb will be locked up early. The guy I think that will be allowed to test the waters will be Torrey Smith, and the Jets should make a strong play for him (Read this). Offer a $7.5mio per year contract. So the Jets 2015 WR/TE's would be: T Smith, E Decker, P Harvin, Kerley and Amaro.
    OL: Add Clint Boling: 3.5-4 mio.

Total Offense Cap Increase: $20-21 mio. Adding Sanchez, Spiller, restructure Harvin, Torrey Smith, Clint Boling.
    Defense moves, grab Cro, lock Mo...

9. BrowningNagle

Randall Cobb signing for $9 mill isn't going to get Percy Harvin to see the light and accept a restructuring. There's definitely a chance Harvin receives more than $5 mill on the open market and Cobb signing for 9 isn't going to make him think that he's not going to get it, if anything it will encourage him even more to want to stick by his current contract or hit the open market and see his worth.

10. BroadwayAaron

Well, in that case, Harvin is an idiot. This is all one big monstrous hypothetical anyway.

11. BrowningNagle

Of course he is.. why do you think Seattle felt they were better off without him halfway through a potential SB run.

12. BroadwayAaron

Nice try, but I was talking about his perceived value, not his literal intelligence.

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

My FA shopping would certainly begin in house.
    Wilk, Snacks, and Douzable i'd like to all see re-upped. I'm still interested in Harris too, provided he doesn't get outpriced by another bidder.
    value signings like Purdum, Bellore, Powell, Jarrett, even Landry should be seriously considered.
    I'd cut Harvin when the time is right. He unfortunately isn't going to agree to vastly reducing his salary.

in terms of FA, Revis and Bulaga would be my main targets, should they become available.
    Revis has been discussed at length all over this board. I feel he'd bring more impact to this team than any other non-QB signing.

Bulaga has not been discussed much.
    He'd provide a vast upgrade at RT, which i feel was our weakest link on the Oline last season.
    let Breno be the backup T (which is important to have), and compete for a starting spot at RG.
    this would not stop me from drafting an OT in the first 2 rounds either, so long as they are versatile and can play G for a year or 2.

Then find a vet QB to hold the fort. I'm leaning towards Matt Moore or Fitzpatrick.

After that, value signings to fill out the roster.
    Clay or Virgil Green at TE, Shorts at WR, Thurmond at nickel CB. we won't get them all, and won't fill all our holes in a single offseason, but a few value signings like this will be key to improving the roster.

14. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

JK is the last piece to the WR puzzle, I don't see how cutting the mostly reliable vet on a lower tier deal should even be on the table.

if all goes well he won't be the top weapon out there, but a deceptively able target thats good for 40 recs 400-500 yds.

its really Percy vs the available FA WR's, JK's gonna be here no matter what. cutting him seems like lunacy to me.

16. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Oh and in general I'd say theres no way we make as many moves for as many big names as we think.

We're gonna lose out on some "names", maybe get some unheralded add ones instead. A Decker and then a Giacomini all over again, be prepared jets fans...

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Cobb's not getting anywhere close to 9 mil. He's a slot receiver. Thomas might get it. And he might be worth it.

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

My FA list? People will hate it but the offense isn't going to go from zero to 120 in a season. If the jets are going to be good next year the defense will have to carry them. Use the draft to build the offense and using FA to bolster the defense in to an elite unit.

and yes, I've played with the numbers and assuming not forced to overspend it can be done.

Pernell McPhee, From what I've been reading he's probably going to get around 10-11 deal.
    Joe Barksdale OT, probably around 6M per.
    Corey Peters DT, Probably around 4-5 M
    Mason Foster ILB, Probably around 5M
    Rahim Moore S, probably around 4-5M
    Jason Worilds probably 11Per.
    with those numbers (and 2nd round tender on snacks, resigning Ellis, and extending Wilkerson (11per)) there would be about 25M left in cap space this year (it's also assuming the Jets walk away from Pace, Harvin and Babin)

19. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Thomas will definitely get more than 9 million - Cobb should get near 9 million, at least 7.5 million per.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Please let the Jets sign Randall Cobb, he's one of the few UK players I've ever wanted the Jets to draft.