Free Agency shopping list

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Truth4U2, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

laron landry is a big reason the colts lost in the playoffs. you're overpaying for cromartie here. torrey smith will get more money

2. phatnols

phatnols Member

Gresham won't see 4 mil a year

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Those are my feelings about that list too. IMO if you want a Landry at SS, make it Dawan on a 1yr.

Jacquizz Rogers could be an interesting option though. Seems to have the makeup of an ideal change-of-pace back

And speaking of FBs, does anyone have any insight as to whether Gailey utilizes the FB and, if so, what style? Are we probably looking for a strict lead blocker, a more versatile hybrid, an HB/TE, or nothing?

4. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Your opinion is about as outdated as you think running the ball is.

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Initially I was thinking of bringing Dawan back but LaRon did a great job when he played here.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

It's hard enough to look at that fool in Jets gear but he looks particularly goofy in your colors. So glad he's not longer with us. btw don't be surprised if he wants to sign L. Landry. He can sign everybody to play D for him but his schemes will still give up big plays esp. on 3rd downs.

7. Bills over Jets

None of what you said has absolutely anything to do with what I said or this thread, but uh.... thanks?

8. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

well we drafted a player in the first round last year to do that exact job

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I predict you will be very very frustrated when his schemes don't work. You will get the big sacks (and big talk) but wait until 3rd and long when he blitzes and there is confusion in the secondary. And penalties of course. Have fun and don't count the Jets out vs your team twice this coming season. Rex did a great con job with your owners. How did he explain getting blown out two times by the team he's going to be coaching. If Bowles beats him somebody is going to be pretty mad.

10. Bills over Jets

Still going huh?

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Don't pay attention to that guy. He's the same person who got on Rex for not wearing Jets gear to his firing.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Listen you came here (to a Jets board) and put up an avatar of our former HC in a Bills clown suit. What do you expect! As for 96 if he still loves Rex ok. As a Jets fan you can take your poison any way you want to.

13. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Hopefully the Jets do roll out the red carpet. He'd probably get $14M a year on the open market, if not more.

The fact that the Jets can just cut Harvin and use that money is great. The Jets will still have $45M if they did that. Sign me up.

Here is a dream offseason:

Thomas $14M a year - Best WR on market. If he gets tagged, I'd offer similar money to Randall Cobb (who is 24 years old).
    Stefen Wisnewski $4M a year - Other lineman will probably get paid in the $7M range. He is 25 and could be signed for 6-7 years. Would play guard, but could be future center.
    Revis $15M a year - Yes that Revis. A backup plan would be Cromatrie at $7.5M. Possibly both.
    CJ Spiller $6M a year- An explosive playmaker.

That still leaves $19M in cap space if the Jets cut Harvin.

That would address WR, OL, CB and RB. Leaving the Jets to draft anyone they want at #6.

14. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

According to a source (Rob Demovsky) with ESPN, Randall Cobb is seeking 9 Mil per in FA. "That would come close to the four-year $39 million contract extension the packers gave receiver Jordy Nelson last summer." Cut Percy and sign this guy. Draft a prototypical outside receiver in a later round.

15. BroadwayAaron

Spiller at $6 mil makes me want to dry heave. Revis at $15 mil makes me want to vomit.

NCJetsfan and nyjetsmets89 like this.
  16. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Younger and not injury prone too.

Would much rather have Cobb at 9mil then Harvin at 7 or 8 or the 10 he's at now.

17. BroadwayAaron

Sign me up for 4 years of Cobb at $39 mil. But I think more importantly, this sets a market of sorts for Harvin. If that's what Cobb is getting, no team is giving Harvin anywhere close to that. Another bargaining chip the Jets will have when trying to get him to restructure.

Or, just sign Cobb and cut Harvin the next day.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

how much of Cobb's success an extension of playing with Rodgers and lining up across from Jordy Nelson???? that's my question.

He's a good receiver but is he really that good? This organization already paid top dollar for one receiver that benefited from an amazing QB and talent around him in Decker, is it prudent to do so again in another offseason? this time at 9 mill per instead of 7?

Having said that Cobb is a hard worker, good teammate and a class act so I guess I'd rather take a risk on paying him money over a guy like Harvin. I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot because this team has lots of cap room and no matter who they sign at WR will probably look better than the bums they have had, provided they don't splurge on Curtis Conway or Matthew Hatchette of course.

Truth4U2 likes this.
  19. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I love Cobb. If we pulled the trigger on him, I'd probably be thrilled. But I would understand if Macc passed on him at that price tag.

Geno is not the most accurate passer, and for that kind of money it might make more sense to get him a big target like Brandon Marshall (if available). You might be able to get Marshall for like 7.5 M per on a shorter deal.

#119 al_toon_88, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  20. BroadwayAaron

No we didn't.

Either way, Cobb in a spread offense across from Decker would probably be just fine. Obviously he's not going to put up numbers like he would with the best QB in the league throwing to him but he's athletic enough to get free not only down field, but in the middle of the field.

I'd axe Kerley, sign Cobb and restructure with Harvin.