The media is not fair to Geno Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfannerd, Jan 28, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I don't want to lose developing a Qb. That's why I want to sign a good vet Qb to start for us in 2015.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

My issue with Smith's so-called good games is that they have not proven to be an indicator of improvement going forward. Add in that they have for two seasons in a row come when the team's season was already down the toilet, when in 13 the Jets were playing to save Ryan's job and the opponents had given up on their season (Cleveland) or weer in total team turmoil (Miami), I felt I had excellent reasons to be skeptical. Smith had merely cut down on turnovers against weak opponents, and meanwhile threw for a lower ypa and miniscule ypg.

It turns out I was right to not be impressed after 13. He went into his second year more or less just as shitty a Qb as he was in 13. So why should we expect MUCH better now? ANd I say much because he would have to be much better to become a decent NFL Qb.

We've also come to learn that he has off the field issues. At this point, from my perspective, he's worse than Sanchez. And that's saying something.

3. Big Blocker

Here's another point - I don't think the decision to keep Smith as the starter going into last season was based on some notion that his performance down the stretch in 13 earned him the right to be the starter in 14. I think it was more about Idzik being all in on Smith to justify his drafting of him.

I will go so far as to say Ryan no doubt supported going D with the first round pick last off season. Of course he was a supporter of that. But it was Idzik's responsibility to make that choice. There should be no doubt at this point that it was a mistake to not have picked someone like Carr. Ftr I was okay with not doing so solely becuase I thought they would give Vick a real chance to start, but that did not happen, either. In short Idzik mishandled the Qb situation, which aloing with his bungling the CB positoin is why he was fired.

4. Big Blocker

Of cousre you don't buy it. You're a Smith Fan.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yes, it's obvious by some of the illogical statements you've made that you have no idea what the original discussion was about and that you are just plain wrong. Continuing to give you reasons why you are wrong would be fruitless because you will just ignore them. Because at this point you are being a trolling douche about it. So, yes, I felt the need to say it.

I don't "want" you to be anything. I don't give a big enough shit to care what you are (although we established what you are this past summer).

But you are also a Geno apologist. You are what you are.

The front office believed nothing of the sort, a front office that is now gone.The front office needed to protect that failed pick on a flawed player.

Who has not improved. He regressed.

Nobody is investing more time on a wasted 2nd round pick.

But you continue to hope...I mean...believe that.

As a Geno fan, what else could you do.

_

#325 JStokes, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Marty tried to scale down the offense when it became apparent that Geno couldn't run his WCO. A little bit like what Brian did with Mark his first 2 years. But MM took it to an extreme. And didn't know how to mix the run and passing game. The game plans were confusing and ineffective. If Geno does play in '15 it would have to be a controlled offense with a leaning towards a ground and pound. You couldn't trust Geno in a complicated offense. But Gailey likes the passing game. Although he did a good job in Buff with his backs.

7. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Those concerns are warranted. My only thing is that due to his age and the fact that he's heading into his 3rd season I have no problem with him competing with a vet or rookie and may the best man win. I like Geno and I hope he gets his shit together but if he fails again then it is what it is.
    How I look at it is that he had a few decent/okay performances early in 2013 (vs Bills, at Falcons, vs Patriots) combine that with his improved play down the stretch it was understandable why they felt they needed to see how he performs in year 2. They (Idzik and co) thought Geno had potential and being that they picked him they have tons invested in him ie being right about the selection.

If they drafted Geno only because he was there. But didn't see anything in him then they would've drafted a qb at 18. If you think you have your guy you do whatever to develop him and put him in a position to succeed.

8. The 1985er

I understand your point being that I read the thread. You keep repeating that same shit isn't going to make it any more truer.

By you keeping on repeating the homer shit you are acting as if that's what you want me to be since you keep on repeating. Basically you're being insecure. And not a damn thing was established in the summer except what you want me to be in your mind.

Again if they did not believe in Geno they draft a qb at 18. You don't trot a qb you do not believe in for a second year out there. To them it was not a wasted pick because they believe he could be their guy, they thought it was worth the investment.

None of that matters now we have a new GM and in due time we'll find out how they view Geno.

9. JStokes

I'm not saying you're a homer, I'm calling you a Geno apologist. Which is fine, you can be whatever you want to be. I don't really care.

But we did establish this summer that you thought it was perfectly acceptable--no--warranted--that a woman should expect to have the shit beat out of her by a man for her spitting on him.

That's how you were raised on the mean streets of Irvington NJ. Spitting on someone could get you killed there. Bitches be warned.

Your words, not mine.

This would be true if we were talking about a competent GM. The incompetent jackass we had in there was only interested in protecting his hide by propping up his failed pick. Rex certainly didn't believe in him. That much was obvious to anyone who watched the games.

Btw, that gamble failed because his pick once again shit the bed and he got fired.

But you are right, we have a new FO in place and lets hope they don't make the same mistake.

_

10. The 1985er

A pretty over exaggerated version of what I said. But whatever.

How is investing time in developing a qb "protecting his hide"? You draft a guy and if you believe in the player you develop him. That's what teams have been doing since god knows how long. And teams will continue to draft and develop QB's they believe can be the guy. You obviously didn't agree with that decision and that's okay.

11. JStokes

No, it's not. What you actually said was worse. I could link the thread if you wanted to revisit it but if I were you I wouldn't. It's incredibly embarrassing. Disgusting really.

If it were a competent GM with a promising QB I'd agree.

That incompetent jackass passed on two potential franchise QBs in favor of a safety--a position that he could have been filled in FA with his $20MM in cap space.

No. He didn't want to be looked at like the fool he was so he stuck to his mistake hoping Geno would bail him out.

He didn't.

And Idzik is now on the unemployment line now.

_

Big Blocker likes this.
  12. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Pass attempts 810
    Pass completions 466
    Percentage 57.5
    TDINT 25–34
    Passing Yards 5,571
    Passer rating 71.5
    Stats at NFL.com

Two years and that's what we've got. You want a year 3? Really? GTFO.

13. The 1985er

I don't have a problem revisiting it although I don't know what it'll accomplish. But this isn't the time or thread for that.

We both have our stances so I guess we'll now see what happens.

14. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

So, it's your opinion that the 8-8 and 4-12 Jets were contenders without an actual secondary or WR corps for most of those two seasons?! And you say being a Geno Smith fans makes one's opinions farcical?

15. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

How about YOU point to the stats and compare them to other QBs with his years of service. Then, when you've seen how averagely bad Geno Smith has been, go about rating the surrounding talent those other QBs had to work with. You know, make a supportable assertion.

Otherwise, you're just showing your unvarnished, uh, dislike.

16. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

The Jets without a secondary, with the 31st rated OL, and with a WR corps that relied on the injured Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill, Nelson, and a host of other either injured or just plain sucky receivers is "the big show..."?

Please. The only thing more ridiculous than that opinion is that you have no filter to prevent you from typing it.

17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Clark give it a rest. 99% of Jets fans who saw Geno play think he sucks. The OL with Mangold, Brick, Oday etc were ok. Geno had time to throw his picks.

18. JStokes

You're the douche that said there were "stats" to back up your Geno ball licking.

Do your own fucking research.

_

19. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Ah, another unsubstantiated assertion based solely on supporting your opinion.

"The OL with Mangold, Brick, Oday etc were ok." yeah, and for those, what, six games, not coincidentally, is when Geno played some very good QB.

And, wow, the OL was so good that the entire right side of it is mentioned as "etc."

Thanks for making my point for me.

20. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Ah, the notion of ball licking... doesn't actually support your argument and raises the notion of your not-so-latent homosexuality, not that there's anything wrong with it...