If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Technically Matt Simms won the QB competition but yes, Sanchez was ahead of Geno when he got hurt.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I voted to select Mariota but the trade back with Philly would probably be smarter. If Foles is part of the deal. But with Foles due minor money for 2015 Chip might just want to hold onto him. I hope that Rex signs Mark. But supposedly Roman will run a ground and pound which is the only offense Mark can effectively run.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

except for that fast paced philly O which he ran well.

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Not very good. He was below average but not Jets terrible. I think Marks a backup somewhere. Unless Rex signs him.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Did you make this up, too.

6. nyjunc

I don't make anything up.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I look back at teams like the steelers and ravens, and how they were run prior to their current QB situations. Build a solid defense, a good o-line, because these things are sustainable. This sets the table for a young QB to actually come in and be successful. You can throw kordell, or tommy Maddox or Kyle boller out there and still have some success. Then, when a decent QB comes along, you can really shine. The most crucial part is the continuity- sustained competitiveness buys some patience with a coaching staff and a system. Brady, manning, favre, elway, etc. had didn't have to deal with new coaches, new OCs, new offenses every other year.

I just think it is absolutely counter-productive to throw a young QB out there with a porous o-line, then fire the OC for not putting up points, then bring in a totally different system for the kid to learn, then rinse and repeat. It feels like we are intent on doing that over and over from 2009 to infinity. Hiring an ancient OC, even one I respect very much, is not a good way to break this cycle.

Yes, we need to improve the QB situation, a ton. No, I don't think geno has any business on the field. Yes, I think mariota has a ton of potential, and will likely be very successful in the right situation. I honestly wish we were that situation, but I do not think we are. Mariota needs to sit at least a year, maybe longer. Do any of you think this fan base has the patience to let him sit one game?
    Now, we have a ton of cap space, and if we bring in three proBowl O-linemen this offseason, maybe that changes things considerably. Barring that unlikely scenario, I think we are better served setting the table for a QB maybe 2-3 years from now. I understand why that is an unpopular view, but I take the very long view of such things.

My personal preference would be a vet QB, and let mariota sit until he is ready, but I don't see that happening.

thedrjay likes this.
  8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I do. I have the patience to let him sit an entire year. And I'm a STH.

_

9. TwoHeadedMonster

Good! I'm counting on you to talk some sense into the angry masses calling for him in the 4th quarter week one. I'll have your back with the nut jobs calling for Matt Simms four games later...

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

yeah its crazy the number of franchise QBs that the team passed on when we were picking.....oh wait, that never happened and the only time we were in the position to draft a potential franchise QB we went up and got him (it didn't pan out we all know that, but we still went for it)

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

There was an article Cimini put out arguing that ESPN's ranking had the Jets OL at 10th in the league for pass protection, while Smith had the third worst number on their metric for holding on to the ball too long, and of course the Jets had a top five running game. We all know Colon was a problem with penalties, and that LG was shaky with Winters and then Aboushi, although Aboushi might have been a bit of upgrade.

Giacomini is not going anywhere, either, since he's got guaranteed money. I agree with those who say Ferguson is going to present the Jets with a big question heading into 16 due to his contract, but he will be the starting LT this coming season. And Mangold is still solid.

The Jets may well be active in FA for the OL. One player might be enough if he's good enough. Giacomini might be moved to one of the guard positions, and I am guessing the Jets will let Winters and Aboushi fight it out for one of the guard spots. I don't think OL is that far off.

12. JStokes

Here's my plan. I'm hoping he gets a few snaps in the 4th preseason game then sees zero snaps through week 8, then after that a few snaps ONLY in mop up duty in a blow out either way. If we're out of the playoffs maybe he gets his first start week 17 to whet our appetite for 2016.

I don't care how poorly the starter, be it Smith or Fitz or Mallet or Moore or Simms, plays, I do not want to see him in a competitive situation at all the first year. No game where we need him to win a game for us that means something to our playoff chances.

_

13. nyjunc

Jet fans do not have patience, if we draft Mariota or Winston they will be calling for them to start day 1 and if they don't the first bad play by Geno we will hear the groans and calling for them to come in.

Unfortunately that is the way it goes. In a perfect world we'd have an established quality vet who the rookie could learn from and we could show some patience but that's not the case at the moment.

14. JStokes

Until last year I can't ever recall passing on a franchise QB (when we did not have a starter firmly entrenched) dating back to Marino

_

15. TwoHeadedMonster

I guess I see it as a "10th best and falling fast". Colon has to go. Giacomini, who as you point out, will almost certainly stay around, needs to be much better, regardless of position. Brick isn't getting any younger (or better). Even if Dozier pans out, we're not in good shape looking forward. And I see a lot to like in Aboushi, but I'm certainly not banking on him. That said, if we pick up Iupati and Doug Free, I think we're probably fine. That leaves Aboushi, Giacomini, Dozier, and Winters (plus whoever else is floating at reserve o-line) fighting for a guard spot and back-up duty. Free is 31, but that's hardly old for his position.

16. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

How did this work out?

17. JStokes

It'll never end.

_

Ben Had likes this.
  18. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I live in philly, I hear it on the radio, bars, or just over hearing conversations.. about 95% of my friends and family are Eagles die hards.. I know that doesn't speak for the entire fan base.. but I get the general sense that they don't believe in him.

19. nyjunc

it will never end, like angry little men cursing out people all day long

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

My nightmare is that Mariota is picked first and Winston falls to us.