If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think Rex probably thought he was going to get fired if he started Sanchez in 2013. Given what we know about Sanchez and the Jets personnel on offense he probably was right. I think he put Sanchez back in the game against the Giants third stringers to make the decision to start him not as hard as it otherwise was going to be. Then Sanchez got hurt and let him completely off the hook.

The Jets go 4-12, maybe 5-11 with Sanchez in 2013. That gets Rex fired and Idzik has his coach for 2014, although Woody would have made the hire Idzik would have had a lot of say in the pick.

2. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

The prevailing NFL comparison for Mariota among the pundits seems to be Kaep.

But to me he looks more like a faster version of Ryan Tannehill. If that's what he ends up being, how would you feel about taking him at #6?

#162 al_toon_88, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  3. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Adding to that scenario: we take a QB in the first with our top 10 pick and everything in this thread is moot. The narrative changes to argueing about Cooper.

4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Mariotta may be able to make all those adjustments smoothly, but we just do not know. That is what I hate about college football. All these gimmicky systems. I love pro football and I probably mistakenly look at college football as a rite of passage to the pros. But here we sit thinking about a number 6 pick. I have a sneaking suspicion that Mariota may just make the transition that our Geno could not, but sneaking suspicions and No 6 picks are just not a good marriage.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Idzik is responsible, it was a sham competition that Mark easily won but Idzik wanted Geno to play. Rex was pissed and after Geno's horrendous game against NYG wanted Sanchez to come in, play well and name him the starter but unfortunately he got hurt.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Agreed about Idzik, and why BPA is always the way to go. As to what constitutes 'BPA' in this (or any) year's draft, that's going to be subjective (e.g. 2006: Mario Williams or Reggie Bush). Some will view this year's BPA *depending on their draft position* as either a playmaker (e.g. Cooper, White), a distruptive force (Williams), a pocket-crasher (Gregory, Ray) or a potential all-Pro LT (Peat, Flowers), or a QB (Winston, Mariotta).

Put it this way: Geno was picked in the 2nd round and interestingly enough, while some who favor a trade with the Eagles to secure picks along with the 'upgrade' over Geno in the form of Nick Foles, it's interesting to note that Foles was a 3rd round pick and if nothing else, even Mariotta's "he's just a system QB" detractors do not project Mariotta as 2nd or 3rd round material. So whether one likes him or not, to view Mariotta as a BPA is not a stretch by any imagination outside of maybe Jameis Winston given Winston's pro-set experience, his TD-INT ratio slippage in 2014 notwithstanding (2013: 40-10 vs. 2014: 25-18).

legler82 likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think Rex was thinking that, I don't think Idzik was pressuring him or anything. I think he just made a stupid blunder by putting Sanchez in that game, one of many blunders he made over the years concerning the QB position.

I think the Jets would've finished with the same record in 13, sanchez or geno

8. nyjunc

we would have won more games in 2013 and probably made playoffs w/ Mark or any competent QB.

9. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

There are multiple threads discussing Mark, even though he hasnt been relevant in NY in 2 years. Why not keep the discussion about him in another thread, and not let a good thread about Mariota die.

Mariota or Winston being available at 6 is the most excitement we've had here for a while. Either one can have a ridiculously large impact on the Jets next year. I dont care for Mariota, but it would be silly to ignore his upside. Given time to learn, maybe he could figure out how to be a pro quarterback. Winston I think you could plug and play today, although it would probably benefit the team if you shot his ego down a bit and started him on the bench.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Smith is worse than all of them. I am not saying the options out there are equivalent to the next John Elway or something. But I dont have to.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

+1.

Please.

_

12. nyjunc

this may be the dumbest post in the history of this board.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Meh, other people's shit is still shit.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Although I have junc on ignore, thankfully, I assme you are referring to an attempt by him to hijack this thread.

Call me crazy.

15. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I suggest you read more posts by users other than Br4d, then. You can disagree with his theory but get out with these exaggerated claims, particularly when it comes to Sanchez. We all know your opinion.

16. nyjunc

It's not exaggerated, for anyone w/ any clue about this game to say something so foolish is as dumb as I have ever seen and there have been a million dumb posts.

17. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

There are 2 or 3 current threads that have become absolute abortions. Always a common theme.

_

18. nyjunc

usually the ones where the angry little man is cursing at people.

19. nyjunc

you don't know football and can't read either? I didn't bring Mark up but thanks for asking.

20. mikey

mikey Active Member

i lol'd