Who is the All-Time SECOND Best Jets QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Feb 9, 2015.

?

Who is the All-Time SECOND Best Jets QB?

1. Richard Todd

0.8%
  2. Ken O'Brien

37.8%
  3. Vinny Testaverde

13.4%
  4. Chad Pennington

44.1%
  5. Mark Sanchez

3.9%
  1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

The only way my argument is weaker than yours is if you think Cleveland was in a better situation with 2 downs remaining, 3rd and 24 on Cle 18, than the Jets were.

Do you believe the Browns would be in a better situation than the Jets in that scenario?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you were asking for facts, is it a fact that the Jets win if there is no penalty?

3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

If Gastineau does not rough the passer, the game is over. Period.

4. nyjunc

I thought you only deal in facts? that is certainly not a fact.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

As big of a Namath fan that I am...

Vinny, Sancho and Chadwick had better win percentages...all three on the good side of .500

This is a fun topic...and a way to dissuade us from thinking about our current qb situation.

I never imagined I'd miss Mark Sanchez.

mezzavo likes this.
  6. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Stats on O'Brien:

2x Pro Bowler.
    85-Led NFL in Passer Rating
    Pass Completion percentage ranks in NFL:
    85-2nd
    86-2nd
    87-5th
    89-4th (against qbs named Montana, Marino, Elway etc)

First QB to ever throw for over 400 yards in a game AND have a perfect QBR in that game, a record that stood for 27 years until Nick Foles duplicated it in 2013.

And he never looked lost like Sanchez did for the multitude of his time here. And yes, he did throw a pretty ball

7. nyjunc

all of that is awesome but ZERO playoff wins.

2 time pro bowler is nice but his 2nd pro bowl was 1991 where he was about a 7th alternate. he led us to an 8-8 season and threw 10 TDs and 11 INTs- PRO BOWL!

5th in comp % in '87 was nice but 6 wins sucked
    4th in comp % in '89 was nice but 4 wins sucked, also sucked watching him get benched for Kyle Mackey- I guess the comp % wasn't that impressive?

Geno Smith had a perfect QB rating in a game too. he didn't throw for 400 yds but who cares? good games are good games but wins are what matters.

he never looked lost? you clearly didn't watch Ken O'Brien. while his individual highs were better he looked lost as much, if not more than Mark throughout his career.

LA Raiders opening week '85
    at Mia '86
    LA Rams '86
    SF '86
    Pitt '86
    Cin '86
    Cle playoffs '86

just to name a few

8. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Chad was the best
    O'Brien was the best pure passer we had since Namath. Testaverde had the single best season, but O'Brien was better.
    I wouldn't kill O'Brien for the play-off losses, but think about this, if a healthy Chad is the QB in 82 AFC championshiop, any play-off game in 85/86 or even in 2010, do we maker it to the SB? I think the answer is yes. Chad would've been the perfect QB for Walton and Rex.

9. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Absolutely...Cleveland was done. The penalty breathed life into the team, although we often overlook the underrrated PI penalty against Carl Howard that came shortly thereafter

10. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You and me BOTH brother!!

Funny...you can have all the fancy stats and pretty passes etc...etc....etc....but at the END OF THE DAY the name of the NFL game is to WIN football games!!!!! WIN WIN WIN WIN

I've read some pretty comical posts in this thread about Kenny O and others and it all boils down to one thing...WIN...which is something none of those fools did on any type of consistent basis period. I've seen some posts about if Kenny O et. al. were in this era they'd be on billboards right along side Idzik. Damn skippy! Those guys of the Jets in the 70's, 80's & 90's couldn't win to save their lives. Not until Vinny T. got here did the NY Jets field an actual winning formula. That carried through Chad & Sanchez. As a Jets fan in the 80's I would have KILLED for a winner like Mark Sanchez.

The hilarity of it all is I don't care if those guys looked like the second coming of Thor...they couldn't win. The reality, which all these "hypothetical Harry's" would have you ignore, is Sanchez was the ONLY QB in Jets HISTORY to come close TWICE...and how did he do that...by hook or by crook...he WON! (not including Namath, of course)

That's the bottom line chickadees...who were the winners. At final glance that is Vinny T., M. Sanchez and Chad P. The ONLY reason Namath has his name in this game is because the fool got LUCKY and won a SB. Outside that one glorious moment he was pedestrian at best. Soooooooo...please flush the whole Kenny O., Todd and all the rest of the suck em' crew of Jets QB's down the toilet.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Since football is the ultimate team sport it is hard to judge these things head to head. so i voted based on who didn't make me hold my breathe when they dropped back to pass
    chad

12. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

There are few levels of embarrassing yourself higher than the "Defending Mark Sanchez"-level of embarrassing yourself.

Big Blocker likes this.
  13. rinvesto

Please cite games to justify that O'Brien looks as lost as sanchez in games.
    I know it is difficult for you to lose an argument, but I cited facts, not opinion. Sanchez completion percentage sucked, he had great talent on his teams the 1st 2 years, he continually made bone headed decisions his entire tenure here. You obviously don't remember O'Brien.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He wasn't bashing you.

He was talking about you realistically.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Question for the Pennington voters:

Were you old enough to watch O'Brien play or was he before your time?

Big Blocker likes this.
  16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I think Chad had a decent run that could have been better had he not had shoulder injuries. He definitely could have been our guy had he not gotten hurt.

17. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Before my time. I'm 31 so he was starting as I finished high school.

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

That was exactly what I was thinking. You can't make a clear evaluation without seeing all the Players in Poll.

I really liked Chad, but his injury history hurts his value in this discussion. If Chad could have stayed healthy he clearly would be #2.

Kenny O'Brien would be my choice.

What is sad about this topic, this franchise is over 50 years old and the QB position has been rarely a strength of the team.

19. rinvesto

NONE of those games were as bad, or nearly as bad, as the numerous 4 int bonehead butt fumble games of Sanchez. In fact, in most of them his completion percentage was high. You have cited some 1 int games. You are in fantasy world to compare Sanchez to him.

20. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I saw them all play.

Namath then Chad are my two favorite Jets, I was crushed the year Vinny went down because he had played as well as any Jet QB the prior year and I was a big Sanchez fan.

O'Brien was the second best Jets QB of all time, followed by Chad, Vinny then Mark.

_