Who is the All-Time SECOND Best Jets QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Feb 9, 2015.

?

Who is the All-Time SECOND Best Jets QB?

1. Richard Todd

0.8%
  2. Ken O'Brien

37.8%
  3. Vinny Testaverde

13.4%
  4. Chad Pennington

44.1%
  5. Mark Sanchez

3.9%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yes, that is also true.

2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

That sounds like a no to me.

If you do not believe that Ryan is the better player, the fact that he has a playoff win with O'Brien's Jets does not seem significant yet you bring it up every time you trash O'Brien.

Yes, you are repeatedly trashing O'Brien with crap like that.

You are not "telling it like it is".

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't trash O'Brien, I speak about him realistically. Trash would be what you guys would do if he had the exact same career in this era. He'd be enemy #1 of the board.

He had the most talent and weakest opponents and couldn't win a playoff game. This game is about winning not pretty passes.

4. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

If Gastineau doesn't rough the passer., the game is over. Period.

5. HackettSuxTNG

Ken O'Brein was the New York Jets full-time starting quarterback from 1985-1991, but please, don't start now letting actual facts get in the way of your arguments.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OBriKe00.htm

6. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Except for RT, which was is ultimate undoing, IMO.

7. HackettSuxTNG

Touche', but you agree with the original assessment?

8. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually, you're confusing 1985 with 1984. Which is fine; because it's not like the 1984 offensive line was any good (or any Jets offensive line during Kenny O'Brien's career). McElroy was a career backup, Sweeney got moved to tackle the next year (because he couldn't play guard), then moved to center two years after that (because he couldn't play tackle), Fields was a solid center at the end of his career, and this was Powell's last season as a starter (the Jets got rid of him that offseason because he couldn't play anymore), and the 5th starter was Dan Alexander (who sucked). This was not an average offensive line; let alone a "good" one.

You're wrong. You're not even close to being correct. Nobody agrees with you or thinks your correct. You're wrong. It's okay to be wrong (you do it a lot, so you should know); just admit it and move on.

#68 Unhappyjetsfan, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    James Hasty likes this.
  9. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

The standards change to fit the narrative. If this was Sanchez, there's just no way he suggests that the loss was primarily on the QB for not scoring enough points. He assigned primary blame to the defense for the 10-7 Atlanta loss in '09 and the 17-13 Denver loss in '11 (a game in which Sanchez threw a pick 6 and Denver punted on 8 straight possessions). The Jet defense in these games merely lost single possession late leads (not a two possession lead with 4 minutes left) and gave their offense plenty of opportunities to pad the lead. Moving target.

10. nyjunc

No I was discussing 1985. My points are all valid and make your weak attempt to bash me look silly as usual.

That isn't true, our odds go way up but the game was not over and the O had a million chances but b/c of Kenny they failed.

he was a Jet from 1983-1992, those are facts which you always ignore when posting your misguided ramblings.

Does '85-'91 or '83-'92 really change things? you see that QB list, right? QBs w/ less talent around them than Kenny yet they were able to win playoff games.

The hysterical thing is if Kenny had the same career today folks like you would be bashing him up and down but b/c you loved him as a kid it clouds your judgment.

Ken had a really good year and a half, did very little outside of that year and a half and never won a single playoff game.

11. nyjunc

show me where Mark Sanchez led an O to 13 pts(w/ the lone TD being a long TD run on a 1 play possession) in 5 qtrs. of play in postseason? if he did I'd blame him and if the Jets won a playoff game the week before w/o him then did that I'd blame him.

The Jets D's blew late leads and gave opps the lead and wins in those examples you cite, in this game he had 2 more qtrs. to score and win.

Please don't speak about things that you don't have a clue about.

12. HackettSuxTNG

Does reducing your allowed to compare O'Brien to the rest of the NFL by 33% change things? I'd say yes. But again, it's just facts: don't let that make any impact on your argument.

13. HackettSuxTNG

If Gastineau does not rough the passer, the O does not need to make more plays.

If Gastineau does not rough the passer, the game is over. Period.

14. nyjunc

I think most people would get the point. You want from '85-'91?(even though he came in during the '84 season w/ a great chance to help us get to playoffs and failed)

Tony Eason
    Pat Ryan(w/ O'Brien's team)
    Bubby Brister
    Jay Schroeder
    Steve DeBerg

does this make you happy? even though it is deceptive since he took over in 1984- since you NOW love facts.

No it was not over. It would have been 3rd and 24 which would have been difficult but it was far from over.

15. BrucekilledBoomer

That is ridiculously flawed logic. The Browns didn't win in regulation because they were down multiple scores (and even then they came very close) but how does that make the defensive choke any better? They surrendered more points and a larger lead than the two examples cited and should have taken care of things in regulation.

And I'll talk on anything I damn well please, thanks.

16. nyjunc

The D choked, the O choked, the team choked. I didn't solely blame Ken, I simply pointed out while Gastineau roughing penalty hurt the game wasn't over if they don't call it.

Find me a postseason game where Mark Sanchez led his O to 13 pts in 5 qtrs. of play and the only TD was a 1 play drive handed off for long TD run. let me know when you find that.

17. HackettSuxTNG

3rd and 24 from what yard line? Don't exclude facts that further hurt your argument.

If Gastineau does not rough the passer, the game is over. Period.

18. nyjunc

it is not over if he doesn't get that penalty, they still have 2 downs. 3rd and 24 on Cle 18. still had 2 downs, it was NOT over but you can pretend it would have been to help your typical weak arguments.

19. BrucekilledBoomer

Never said you only blamed O'Brien but you sure made it sound as if you were giving him a larger percentage of the blame than the defense. Heck, I might even agree with that assessment but my issue is how your division of blame varies depending on the QB you're either trying to build up or knock down.

Do you have another example of a game in which the defense deserved primary blame in a 10-7 loss in the live ball era?

20. nyjunc

sure , that was a weather game- cold and windy. hurt both offenses and the kicking game where our K missed 2 FGs.